2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I do like those two a lot. Paton to me seems to be more of a cautious and diligent GM, and I don’t mean that in any sort of a pejorative way, so him rolling the dice on a hot coordinator or college coach just doesn’t fit. He’s the kind of GM that will hire an “adult in the room” type HC and then prefer strong, empowered coordinators to handle the nuts and bolts of scheme detail. 

I agree with this, and it's also the type of model that I think works best consistently in the league.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with this, and it's also the type of model that I think works best consistently in the league.

Yeah. As do I. 

Every SB this team has been to, let alone won, we had an adult as HC - Red Miller, Dan Reeves, Mike Shanahan, John Fox and Gary Kubiak - no one with a lick of credibility would argue those 5 weren't anything but professional men who knew how to handle and manage a professional football team. 

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Hopefully Paton would actually let his head coach pick his coordinators. A lot of things about the late Elway era look even more absurd in hindsight. 

I think that's basically the reason Vic may be gone. It is the reason Shanahan was fired.

Had we retained Scangarello I don't think this thread would exist. McMahon should have been fired after last season. Shurmur this season. 

I think a coach should have a say in the decision but ultimately every hire, player or coach should fall on the GM.

34 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think that's basically the reason Vic may be gone. It is the reason Shanahan was fired.

Had we retained Scangarello I don't think this thread would exist. McMahon should have been fired after last season. Shurmur this season. 

I think a coach should have a say in the decision but ultimately every hire, player or coach should fall on the GM.

Shanahan (Mike) was fired because Mr. B started to show signs of being sick and Ellis saw it as an opportunity for a power grab given how much influence Mike wielded within the organization. Ellis then hired Mac because he thought that a 32-year old rookie HC would be easy to control. And we know how well that worked. 

Now, if Vic and Scags could have put their personal differences aside I think both Lock’s career and this organization would look a lot different today. 

But that’s all in the past. Paton needs to clean house, get a real HC, a real OC and a franchise QB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I’m fine with the GM firing assistants over the HC’s head. I do believe a HC should be able to hire his staff though. 

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m fine with the GM firing assistants over the HC’s head. I do believe a HC should be able to hire his staff though. 

Okay, I'm fine with that. 

Got a question though, kinda generic. As a GM, going through the process, do you pick the kind of offense and defense you want to run first or does that land at the feet of the potential hire? 

Personally, as GM I'd like to dictate that based on the roster I've built and let the HC hire his staff accordingly. I'd like to avoid the "good ole boy" trap as much as possible, IE; Jubiak dragging Dennison and company around with him wherever he goes.

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Having an HC make personnel choices would defeat the purpose of having a GM, wouldn't it?  Nevertheless, if they retain Vic, then Paton also needs to hire an assistant HC, someone who can make the in game decisions. 

Fangio and the rest of the staff need to go.  Which sucks because I do think this team has overachieved a bit since he’s been here.

I will add that whoever Denver hires as the new HC is moot until this team finds a QB.  Any HC post 2015 has been handicapped at the most important position in sports.  When that happens it’s pretty much impossible to field a playoff contender on a yearly basis.  

Think about this.  The best QB this team has had since 2015 is Trevor Siemian.  That had been problem #1 in Denver, not the head coaching position.

As I said with Paton, everything he does as GM is meaningless until he figures the QB position out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Having an HC make personnel choices would defeat the purpose of having a GM, wouldn't it?  Nevertheless, if they retain Vic, then Paton also needs to hire an assistant HC, someone who can make the in game decisions. 

Player personnel, yes. I believe coaches should be able to hire their own assistants. 

And is there any real precedent to this game manager assistant HC? Seems like wishful thinking, I really don’t see that happening. If your HC isn’t capable of being a HC, just hire a new HC. 

55 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Fangio and the rest of the staff need to go.  Which sucks because I do think this team has overachieved a bit since he’s been here.

I will add that whoever Denver hires as the new HC is moot until this team finds a QB.  Any HC post 2015 has been handicapped at the most important position in sports.  When that happens it’s pretty much impossible to field a playoff contender on a yearly basis.  

Think about this.  The best QB this team has had since 2015 is Trevor Siemian.  That had been problem #1 in Denver, not the head coaching position.

As I said with Paton, everything he does as GM is meaningless until he figures the QB position out. 

Kubiak went 9-7 with Siemien

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Okay, I'm fine with that. 

Got a question though, kinda generic. As a GM, going through the process, do you pick the kind of offense and defense you want to run first or does that land at the feet of the potential hire? 

Personally, as GM I'd like to dictate that based on the roster I've built and let the HC hire his staff accordingly. I'd like to avoid the "good ole boy" trap as much as possible, IE; Jubiak dragging Dennison and company around with him wherever he goes.

I think you pick the style of O and D through your HC hire. Part of the interview process is getting to know what their philosophies on both sides of the ball are. You get their interest in potential coordinators and their reasons behind their support/reluctance to work with certain people. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

Surely not? We’ve been mediocre at best, if we are being generous, and an abject failure if not.