2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

Klis saying Frazier and Pederson will not interview. The other 9 are your candidates.

Also Allbright retweeted something that suggested Getsy and Mayo are being interviewed more as potential coordinators under Dan Quinn. I'm sure we did this in 2015 with Vance Joseph with a view to hiring him as DC under Kubiak, but of course he ended up as our HC two years later.

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Klis saying Frazier and Pederson will not interview. The other 9 are your candidates.

Also Allbright retweeted something that suggested Getsy and Mayo are being interviewed more as potential coordinators under Dan Quinn. I'm sure we did this in 2015 with Vance Joseph with a view to hiring him as DC under Kubiak, but of course he ended up as our HC two years later.

There’s also a rumour out there about Hackett already assembling his staff for Denver. But Allbright has RT’ed the Quinn report, not the Hackett one, so I’m expecting Quinn’s the guy. 

Also, what a good move it would be for Mayo to get out of the Belichick incubator and gain some experience under a coach like Quinn. I’d bet he wouldn’t be here for more than two years before he got a shot at an HC job. 

11 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'm a little surprised by the Dan Quinn love. I'm certainly open to him. But he's a bit unexciting, no? A worse pedigree coaching wise than Vic ... but assuming he has a strong rep as the CEO HC?  

My worry with Quinn is the offense went to crap after Kyle left & he gave away a 28-3 lead in the SB. I'm not too excited either. I wouldn't be mad if we hired him, but I'm with you.

25 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'm a little surprised by the Dan Quinn love. I'm certainly open to him. But he's a bit unexciting, no? A worse pedigree coaching wise than Vic ... but assuming he has a strong rep as the CEO HC?  

I think his pedigree is better than Vic's because he has been a HC before who made a Super Bowl. He understands how the importance of having good coordinators and has worked in multiple systems under several different HCs. He also has charisma and leadership skills (according to what I've read) that Paton clearly places high value upon. 

Would hiring him be a grand slam homerun? I wouldn't go that far. But it would be a good hire, easily the best we've made since Kubiak, and he would almost certainly bring along strong coordinators.

10 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

There’s also a rumour out there about Hackett already assembling his staff for Denver. But Allbright has RT’ed the Quinn report, not the Hackett one, so I’m expecting Quinn’s the guy. 

Also, what a good move it would be for Mayo to get out of the Belichick incubator and gain some experience under a coach like Quinn. I’d bet he wouldn’t be here for more than two years before he got a shot at an HC job. 

I’m not sure there is a “guy” yet. Paton wouldn’t be doing this many interviews if he had a specific person in mind.

It’s standard practice to assemble your staff before the interview though. The longest portion of interviews is the potential HC being grilled on who he wants on his staff, and they often have to present a 3 or 4 deep list of who they want and why. 

4 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

My worry with Quinn is the offense went to crap after Kyle left & he gave away a 28-3 lead in the SB. I'm not too excited either. I wouldn't be mad if we hired him, but I'm with you.

Yeah after Kyle left his OC was Steve Sarkisian, that is most certainly a step down, maybe several steps down, and Kyle also took almost the entire offensive staff with him including Matt LeFleur, Mike LaFleur, Mike McDaniel, Bobby Turner, etc. I would wager that that taught Quinn a valuable lesson in having good coordinators and a good supporting staff. We also have to hope he's improved on some of his game management and other gameday aspects of the job. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think his pedigree is better than Vic's because he has been a HC before who made a Super Bowl. He understands how the importance of having good coordinators and has worked in multiple systems under several different HCs. He also has charisma and leadership skills (according to what I've read) that Paton clearly places high value upon. 

Would hiring him be a grand slam homerun? I wouldn't go that far. But it would be a good hire, easily the best we've made since Kubiak, and he would almost certainly bring along strong coordinators.

I guess I should have specified "coaching pedigree" as maybe just the X's and O's as a coordinator. But of course we know that wasn't the issue. So yeah I see the positives, I hear that. I would agree that doesn't sound like a HR, but could see it being a very good hire. And I think going with a guy that has had experience as a HC is good. 

37 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I'd go with the Hackett rumor. Why hire Quinn? He'll want to fix the only thing not broken on this team, the defense.

Hire Hackett, let him get his offense staff and hand him one of the best defensive staffs in the NFL, complete with coordinator. Our own!

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I will add I do find it surprising that Paton apparently isn't interviewing two candidates - Raheem Morris and Dennis Allen - who have previous HC experience and are well-regarded coordinators. I thought both would for sure get interviews. 

Still pretty early, but I don’t think I’ve seen any teams offer those guys interviews. That seems odd, especially for Allen. 

35 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If Quinn can run Red Rocks for two hours straight, then I would hire him.

Very interesting how split we all seem to be on who we'd like as HC this time around. Maybe it's because we're interviewing so many candidates than in the past, but felt like last couple times around there was much more consensus. Or maybe its the quality of candidates? 

9 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Very interesting how split we all seem to be on who we'd like as HC this time around. Maybe it's because we're interviewing so many candidates than in the past, but felt like last couple times around there was much more consensus. Or maybe its the quality of candidates? 

It's a MUCH stronger crowd we're choosing from the last time.

I'd be OK with Quinn (paired with good young OC and the game management issues thoroughly vetted), Moore, O'Connell & Hackett (although Hackett is far more with mindset that ARod is coming along there).    There's a gap IMO between those 4 and the next 6.

The 2nd GB interview sure sounds like the OC in a Hackett staff.   I would be surprised if Mayo was anything but a DC interview masked as a HC interview. 

The reality though is there is a ton of stuff we're not seeing.  I do trust Paton's judgment from what I've seen so far - ultimately, finding the right QB to pair with the new HC/OC/DC combo is going to be as important as this hire, but both are key moves that will define the next 3+ years of Paton's era with full responsibility.   It's his org now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1