2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Interesting. Granted it's been a decade (or more) now, but it used to be these kids would sign as early teens, then they'd age out (either 18 or 19 I forget) if they hadn't received a professional contract yet, but were paid (per the article) a full day's salary M-F (sometimes more) and continued these daily showcases, practices, etc. with their MLB Academy affiliate team that their buscone had set them up with, and then once they were signed, that guy got a huge cut and they parted ways as a "passing of the baton" to the MLB Club here in the states, thus bypassing the draft.

I think that's where we're getting tripped up. They may not have been officially signed, but verbally agreed to a deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think that's where we're getting tripped up. They may not have been officially signed, but verbally agreed to a deal.

Got it, so it's likely a work-around.

*Their buscone finds them and sets them up with an Academy Team

*The Academy provides them with top tier training and resources, while paying them a M-F daily wage/job

*When they are eligible to be signed (16), that Academy Team, likely with the most pressure from their buscone (otherwise the Academy teams will blackball him), will sign that player to a deal

*That player then owes their buscone a sizeable % cut from their first signing bonus (per that initial finder's fee), they are with that MLB affiliate back in the states, they part ways, and that's how it goes

Am I correct here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Got it, so it's likely a work-around.

*Their buscone finds them and sets them up with an Academy Team

*The Academy provides them with top tier training and resources, while paying them a M-F daily wage/job

*When they are eligible to be signed (16), that Academy Team, likely with the most pressure from their buscone (otherwise the Academy teams will blackball him), will sign that player to a deal

*That player then owes their buscone a sizeable % cut from their first signing bonus (per that initial finder's fee), they are with that MLB affiliate back in the states, they part ways, and that's how it goes

Am I correct here?

This is pretty much it. 

• Like 1

Latest counter from the MLBPA shot down an international draft, even if it was exchanged directly with the dropping of the qualifying offer compensation for big league FAs.  I had no idea the players were this dug-in on the issue of the ID.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I'm not fully understanding why the players are against a international draft. Is it simply because they are playing the game and want to get something for it because the league wants it?

I'm with you. It's not like the system currently in place is doing the international players (specifically the young Latin's) any favors...