2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

On 3/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, biggio7 said:

I don't understand the bases thing.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:50 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Prevent collisions at 1B. 

In all seriousness, we used to use these in little league, and I frankly don't know why they aren't used universally.

m950-lifestyle-5_l.jpg

Instead of bigger bases, implement these. It also forces the runner to run in foul territory down the first base line, making the "runner is hit by the ball" judgment call that much easier on bunts/swinging bunt situations, while allowing the first baseman to have total autonomy on the first base bag, and it's also the only bag in fair territory for balls hit down the line.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

Yeah, how dare the fielding team play defense

I'm coming around, slowly, on the concept of restricting shifts if it could be done well. More emphasis on contact would improve the entertainment value.

But I don't want unintended consequences like 5th infielders and fielders in and things like that to go away, and I don't want this to be a buff for old, fat lefties who got killed by the shift. So if someone can write this all down in a way that's intelligently restrictive, I'm all ears. Haven't seen it yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In all seriousness, we used to use these in little league, and I frankly don't know why they aren't used universally.

Probably some room for improvement in this "wildly throw ideas out there 48 hours before the deadline" process MLB has instituted to govern rule changes tbh.

But yeah, this is the answer. Vets will pout because they'll have to run at a 2 degree angle down the line and they don't need it, but the Martin Maldonado-Manny Machado playoff crap from a few playoffs should have ended this already.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm coming around, slowly, on the concept of restricting shifts if it could be done well. More emphasis on contact would improve the entertainment value.

I think having some designated areas that the infielders/outfielders "MUST" stay within would be reasonable, and to me, logically speaking, that should mean:

The SS cannot be to the right of the 2nd base bag.

The 2B cannot be on the outfield grass AND you cannot have a 4th player in the OF grass.

There's already a stipulation that your C is the only player allowed in foul territory before the ball is thrown.

52 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But I don't want unintended consequences like 5th infielders and fielders in and things like that to go away, and I don't want this to be a buff for old, fat lefties who got killed by the shift. So if someone can write this all down in a way that's intelligently restrictive, I'm all ears. Haven't seen it yet.

I think leaving that above means:

You still could absolutely bring in a 5th Infielder, which logically speaking would be your RF since the SS cannot be to the right of the 2nd base bag, and then your LF and CF play in the gaps.

And yes, let's be honest, I want to see Adam Dunn, age 38, hitting gap singles with 120+ mph exit velocity as opposed to one hop groundouts to the rover 2nd baseman out in shallow right center field.

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Probably some room for improvement in this "wildly throw ideas out there 48 hours before the deadline" process MLB has instituted to govern rule changes tbh.

I've seen more organization in the collective bargaining process from teachers who make under $40K a year tbh.

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But yeah, this is the answer. Vets will pout because they'll have to run at a 2 degree angle down the line and they don't need it, but the Martin Maldonado-Manny Machado playoff crap from a few playoffs should have ended this already.

I also get the whole "double play" issue at 2B, but that's always been why the umpires have been rather liberal in enforcing the "touching the base" while you have possession of the baseball and allowed a slide step off of the back edge to then create a throwing angle so as not to have a collision or a baserunner hit between the eyes with a baseball on that double play.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It'll never happen, but if they did 'ban' the shift, I would like to see it be an option to where each team got to use whatever shift they wanted 1x per game.  

If I can't get a 1x LOOGY, I can't get a 1x shift.

#FreeLOOGYs

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

All these changes are kinda dumb. Half the league in the playoffs AND we gotta sit through 162 game season? 

So basically, I can check out on MLB after the first couple weeks until September.

A lot of sports have set limits where you have to line up, so banning the shift doesn't bother me much.  Football requires 7 on the line of scrimmage, soccer and hockey have offsides, lacrosse has offsides and no release until possession for non-middies post face off, etc, etc, etc....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why should old, fat lefties be at a disadvantage compared to old, fat righties?

Yes, lefties get the platoon advantage more often than righties, but at least that's not codified into the game's rules.