Random Thoughts

dll2000

Daboll was my #1 choice last year when we all thought Nagy was getting the boot, and he's still my #1 choice. I'm curious to see Joe Brady and Mike LaFleur this year, i think they both have potential. I worry about a defensive HC, because he needs a good offensive play caller - if he doesn't get one we suck, but if he does get one, that guy gets poached to be a HC and we start over.

Gimme a front office guy from BUF, KC, or BAL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Daboll was my #1 choice last year when we all thought Nagy was getting the boot, and he's still my #1 choice. I'm curious to see Joe Brady and Mike LaFleur this year, i think they both have potential. I worry about a defensive HC, because he needs a good offensive play caller - if he doesn't get one we suck, but if he does get one, that guy gets poached to be a HC and we start over.

Gimme a front office guy from BUF, KC, or BAL

I'll take Rick Smith in a crackhead heartbeat. 

Hell put him as the Team President over the GM with Pace or give him full control of the franchise (Pace >>>>> Sweaty Teddy so let's say we keep Pace). Idc. I think he and Pace could be a hell of a duo though. Smith owns in the first round and Pace has done well in the mids, they should be able to collaborate.

1. Smith

2. Pace 

3. Daboll

4. OC who specializes in OL development like D'Alessandris

And we gave Fields already too? 

/swoon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soulman said:

IIRC didn't Staley leave last season for the DC job with LAC?  We couldn't offer him a DC position in 2020 unless we fired Pagano.

The defense seems to love Sean Desai because he's coaching Vic Fangio style defense again and because he's a very intelligent guy.

I can't speculate on a replacement HC until I know whether or not we're gonna hire one.

He left when Fangio left to take the same position as OLB coach and then he left there to become the DC of the Rams last season, now he's a head coach and hopefully he does well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'll take Rick Smith in a crackhead heartbeat. 

Hell put him as the Team President over the GM with Pace or give him full control of the franchise (Pace >>>>> Sweaty Teddy so let's say we keep Pace). Idc. I think he and Pace could be a hell of a duo though. Smith owns in the first round and Pace has done well in the mids, they should be able to collaborate.

1. Smith

2. Pace 

3. Daboll

4. OC who specializes in OL development like D'Alessandris

And we gave Fields already too? 

/swoon

Smith has been out the game since 2017 now...that would be a big concern to me...I half think if the ownership thought they could have gotten away with keeping Pace and sacking Nagy at the end of last season they would have...I think Pace would make an excellent president...Dawson under him is really highly regarded as a talent evaluator and left the Titans in a much better position before going to the Bills and now they have turned around...he would know what Daboll is looking for at least offensively...completely agree that then adding a OL coach as OC makes a ton of sense...I would keep on going after Buffalo staff since that is a pretty no name group but did a really good job last season both in pass pro and running blocking...their OL coach Bobby Johnson was also the assistant for the Colts when they had a major turn around upfront after looking dreadful for a couple of seasons.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

He left when Fangio left to take the same position as OLB coach and then he left there to become the DC of the Rams last season, now he's a head coach and hopefully he does well.

Where's he coaching?  LAC?

I recall him leaving and that he took a DC job but I'm short on the details. Good assistants leave all the time.  We've gotten them from other teams and other teams have gotten them away from us.

That coaching life in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Smith has been out the game since 2017 now...that would be a big concern to me...I half think if the ownership thought they could have gotten away with keeping Pace and sacking Nagy at the end of last season they would have...I think Pace would make an excellent president...Dawson under him is really highly regarded as a talent evaluator and left the Titans in a much better position before going to the Bills and now they have turned around...he would know what Daboll is looking for at least offensively...completely agree that then adding a OL coach as OC makes a ton of sense...I would keep on going after Buffalo staff since that is a pretty no name group but did a really good job last season both in pass pro and running blocking...their OL coach Bobby Johnson was also the assistant for the Colts when they had a major turn around upfront after looking dreadful for a couple of seasons.

Smith was fired in December 2018 while his wife was battling cancer. Washington tried to hire him in 2019.

https://theathletic.com/1596742/2020/02/12/my-heart-is-open-now-former-texans-gm-rick-smiths-grief-has-reshaped-his-life/?article_source=search&search_query=\\"rick smith\\"

This is a great article on Smith that The Athletic did last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Where's he coaching?  LAC?

I recall him leaving and that he took a DC job but I'm short on the details. Good assistants leave all the time.  We've gotten them from other teams and other teams have gotten them away from us.

That coaching life in the NFL.

He's the HC for the Chargers now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Smith was fired in December 2018 while his wife was battling cancer. Washington tried to hire him in 2019.

https://theathletic.com/1596742/2020/02/12/my-heart-is-open-now-former-texans-gm-rick-smiths-grief-has-reshaped-his-life/?article_source=search&search_query=\\"rick smith\\"

This is a great article on Smith that The Athletic did last year. 

I get that...I just don't think a guy who has missed so much time (for as important a reason as there possibly could be) is the right guy to jump back into a top job right away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I get that - and didn't really think much on it so good point - but I don't think he has been as isolated as some have been. He was looking at jumping back into the mix from what I read so I'm sure he prepped some and had some targets for his perferences.

Plus he has a staff to work with that could help get jump jump started. It isn't like a player, he has much more time rather than a player who has to perform in instances on gameday. I would be 100% comfortable that he would knock the rust off quickly.

Pace going to President over Smith works perfectly well to me too. Regardless the two are much better together than Pace and Sweaty Teddy paired together.

I'm down for Bobby Johnson too, we're fielding a ton of speed onthe field and a bunch of bald, bearded jumberjack looking mofos off of it.

30 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You know the offence didn't look great in preseason when you have just spent an hour researching the links between coaches you would like to see on staff next year 😂

You waited until the preseason? I was searching that last season. Lol

The mood swings of Bears fans this offseason are hilrious wild.  We went from dejected and writing off 2021, to being super pumped about Fields and debating whether he'd get 12 or 13 super bowls, and now we're back to 2022. 

Hoping Nagy gets it together and they can patch together an OL and CB room, but if he gets fired at the end of the season I'm not bent.  Just hoping nothing screws up Fields.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

The mood swings of Bears fans this offseason are hilrious wild.  We went from dejected and writing off 2021, to being super pumped about Fields and debating whether he'd get 12 or 13 super bowls, and now we're back to 2022. 

Hoping Nagy gets it together and they can patch together an OL and CB room, but if he gets fired at the end of the season I'm not bent.  Just hoping nothing screws up Fields.

I don't think anyone wants Nagy fired...I am one of his and Pace's biggest defenders on this board and wouldn't be shocked if they did lead us to the playoffs and develop Fields...but I think we also have to be realistic and say another middle of the road season isn't enough for us...I don't think we will ever truly suck under Nagy...but I also don't see us winning a superbowl and at the end of the day that is the goal for 32 teams around the league each year and if the ownership also don't see it happening they need to be brave and find someone they do believe could be the right fit...IMO that's Brian Daboll who is like an upgraded version of Nagy haha.