Dude Teddy.

dll2000

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So, honest question here, where do you draw the line? What players are and aren't allowed to risk their health to win the game? Where do they need to be in the standings for it to matter enough for them to put their body on the line? Is the punter expendable on a punt return TD, but the kicker scores points, so maybe he shouldn't make a tackle on a kick return for a TD? Chris Jones is the most important defensive player on the Chiefs. Should we really bother playing him against Dallas? He could be hurt, and at worst we'll be one game out if we lose. He should take himself out, save himself for the more important games, right?

I mean, you have to realize the difference in that, right? Chris Jones regularly tackles people, it’s more or less his job, exactly. He’s a bigger, physical player who routinely puts his hands on players and forces contact on some of the other big players. Teddy…doesn’t. 

Your counter is probably going to be, we’ll are we going to concede TDs on every turnover? Because running backs aren’t asked to tackle and thus shouldn’t have to? Think we’ve already crossed the obtuse questions if we’re comparing Teddy Bridgewater to Chris Jones.

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Like, my problem with this, is I don't see how you can have a functional team with players thinking this way. Do you want any player on your roster thinking "well, we're at X wins and the other team is at Y wins and next week is more important so I should really just not get hurt right now"? Because I don't think you do. That sounds like a terrible mindset no NFL head coach worth a damn would allow. But that's what we're using off field to justify the on field decision. Team record, team potential, odds of an injury versus odds of missing the postseason. You can't be thinking about those things in a football game, IMO. Maybe if you're the head coach, but not if you're a player.

A mindset I want my QB to have at midseason, sure. At what point do you want Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes throwing their bodies on turnovers? In non-playoff games, midway through the season? 

14 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

It's a bum move, and he's a bum teammate. There's a reason fans are sticking up for him, but former players are trash talking him, because they know it's a bad look.

This was not Aaron Donald running down the field. This was a CB.

Also, lets not act like the bolded is anywhere close to what I said.

It doesn’t have to be what you said. My opinion on what to do at the time isn’t going to change based on the outcome. 

I’m not telling my QB to dive in front of anybody’s legs in Week 10, no matter who it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, you have to realize the difference in that, right? Chris Jones regularly tackles people, it’s more or less his job, exactly. He’s a bigger, physical player who routinely puts his hands on players and forces contact on some of the other big players. Teddy…doesn’t. 

Your counter is probably going to be, we’ll are we going to concede TDs on every turnover? Because running backs aren’t asked to tackle and thus shouldn’t have to? Think we’ve already crossed the obtuse questions if we’re comparing Teddy Bridgewater to Chris Jones.

A mindset I want my QB to have at midseason, sure. At what point do you want Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes throwing their bodies on turnovers? In non-playoff games, midway through the season? 

You didn't answer the question. Where do you draw the line? What business decisions are allowed, and which ones aren't? You don't even answer your own hypothetical on if a RB should make a tackle. I just want to know, if you're running a locker room, who do you tell not to make football plays?

And yes, I would expect any player to attempt to make a touchdown saving tackle. They're less likely to get injured making a tackle on an INT return than by playing their natural position 60 snaps per game. It's as silly to me as the superstition around the Chiefs not running QB sneaks because Mahomes got injured on one, once. As if he's more likely to get injured on a sneak than on a normal sack. Injuries are a part of the game. Sure, slide or go out of bounds once you've gained your yards, pull starters once the game is over. But you should not be making potentially game losing decisions to avoid the chance of an injury. You'll have problems like this, and you're still going to be basically as likely to get hurt over the course of the season anyway. Hell, the way Bridgewater played it, he's just as likely to get run over by someone other than the ball carrier in his attempt to pretend to make the tackle, as he is to get hurt by the ball carrier himself if he just did it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

You didn't answer the question. Where do you draw the line? What business decisions are allowed, and which ones aren't? You don't even answer your own hypothetical on if a RB should make a tackle. I just want to know, if you're running a locker room, who do you tell not to make football plays?

I tell my quarterback not to throw their body into tackles, at midseason, in a regular season game. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And yes, I would expect any player to attempt to make a touchdown saving tackle. They're less likely to get injured making a tackle on an INT return than by playing their natural position 60 snaps per game. It's as silly to me as the superstition around the Chiefs not running QB sneaks because Mahomes got injured on one, once. As if he's more likely to get injured on a sneak than on a normal sack. Injuries are a part of the game. Sure, slide or go out of bounds once you've gained your yards, pull starters once the game is over. But you should not be making potentially game losing decisions to avoid the chance of an injury. You'll have problems like this, and you're still going to be basically as likely to get hurt over the course of the season anyway. Hell, the way Bridgewater played it, he's just as likely to get run over by someone other than the ball carrier in his attempt to pretend to make the tackle, as he is to get hurt by the ball carrier himself if he just did it.

If he were running down field and got pancaked by a defensive linemen, I’d feel the same way. What’re you doing? The physicality of football is played on different levels for the large majority of QBs (and kickers/punters, if we’re being honest), pretending that he’s just a football player that needs to make a football play is hogwash. 

You say slide or go out of bounds, why? Why not fight for every yard, tooth and nail? Maybe your guy breaks out a big one in a one score game. Maybe a defender slips up and you get the first down that you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten. Why put your players on a pitch count? Why not run every running back into the ground for 35 times, if their stamina can handle it? Players and coaches “live to fight another day” all the time. This isn’t any different. 

The Chiefs are only a game in the division lead - do you want Mahomes launching himself into defenders on every turnover provided the game isn’t completely lost already?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, Shanedorf said:

How can you be the Leader of a TEAM when you always put your own "safety" first ?

99% sure this was a coach instructed no go. Ive seen pretty much every good QB in the league do it. The only reason anyone could be mad is Bridgewater isnt a good QB so he is "less valuable" (thats a sad thing to call a good dude) 

If Dak ever tried to tackle someone in a game I would be livid if it wasnt a playoff type game. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And yes, I would expect any player to attempt to make a touchdown saving tackle. 

Wrong. And every team in the NFL disagrees with this. If your LB hits a dude and bruises his hand - you will never even know. Your QB breaks a pinky though and your entire season is in jeopardy. The cost benefit over 1 game isnt worth it.  

This rule only applies to QBs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

99% sure this was a coach instructed no go. Ive seen pretty much every good QB in the league do it. The only reason anyone could be mad is Bridgewater isnt a good QB so he is "less valuable" (thats a sad thing to call a good dude) 

If Dak ever tried to tackle someone in a game I would be livid if it wasnt a playoff type game. 

No it wasn’t. He was literally called out by his coach in film review for his effort. 

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Really? So if the Chiefs were up 35 points against Houston and Mahomes throws a pick to a defensive lineman you want him making a tackle in that situation?

17 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Only the quarterback. No one else matters to the team’s success to remotely the same degree that the quarterback does. When you add in that they typically aren’t quite the supreme athletes that most of their teammates are, and that they aren’t nearly conditioned to taking/absorbing high-speed contact, I think the rationale for treating it differently is pretty clear: the probability of a tackle attempt going wrong for the QB is higher, and the harm done if it does go wrong is substantially higher. 

But this isn’t ground-breaking stuff. We already know that teams treat avoiding contact differently when it comes to QBs. Imagine the reaction if a RB or a TE with the ball slid feet-first to avoid contact — but we expect scrambling QBs to do that, other than in extremely high-leverage situations, in order to protect themselves. Because we acknowledge that they are too valuable to expose to that sort of elevated risk on any given play. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1