17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Someone's going to throw a big 1 year deal at him soon if he doesn't already have a few sitting in his agents' office.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in St. Louis on a 1+1 tbh.

I'm actually pretty shocked they haven't signed him yet.  That bullpen is gonna lose them a lot of games as it is currently assembled.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

I'm actually pretty shocked they haven't signed him yet.  That bullpen is gonna lose them a lot of games as it is currently assembled.

Meh.  There is talent in the bullpen, it's just really volatile or unproven.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Someone's going to throw a big 1 year deal at him soon if he doesn't already have a few sitting in his agents' office.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in St. Louis on a 1+1 tbh.

I wouldn't be 100% confident in Brandon Morrow closing games either from a mental blow up or an injury perspective. He's been prone to both.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Meh.  There is talent in the bullpen, it's just really volatile or unproven.

That's what I mean.  That offense looks to be really good, and the rotation should be good enough to compete.  That's what makes it so odd that the Cards aren't supplementing the volatile and unproven arms in the pen with a steady, proven guy like Holland.  

13 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I wouldn't be 100% confident in Brandon Morrow closing games either from a mental blow up or an injury perspective. He's been prone to both.

Absolutely on the injury front.  I have to imagine that's exactly why the Cubs targeted Steve Cishek as well, as he has a good bit of closing experience and was nails after going to TB and working with Jim Hickey, who is now the Cubs' pitching coach.  Justin Wilson has had success as a closer as well, if he can get over the Steve Blass disease he encountered after the trade to Chicago last year.  

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

One 1+1 deal from the Cubs before they have to pay Russell, Bryant , Happ and Baez just makes sense imo

Unless he would sign for 3 million or so AAV, no it doesn't make sense.  Cubs are roughly $10-12 million under the luxury tax right now, and keep $8-10 million available for an acquisition at the deadline in case of injury or the like.  They will not go over the luxury tax this year, as they will be big players in the 2019 FA market and will be going over the luxury tax for at least 2019 and 2020.  It's not a coincidence that they made it so a bunch of money comes off the books after 2020.

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That's what I mean.  That offense looks to be really good, and the rotation should be good enough to compete.  That's what makes it so odd that the Cards aren't supplementing the volatile and unproven arms in the pen with a steady, proven guy like Holland.  

Definitely need Pham to repeat what he did last year, and Carp to bounce back but the offense should be in the upper half of the NL.  FanGraphs had an interesting article the other day on the Cardinals' rotation.  They argued that the best SP weren't even in the big league rotation.

Archived