17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

15 hours ago, mm6492 said:

Is Arrieta a Boras client? I know Nats have a long relationship with him. 

Yep. If you're ever curious, MLBTR has an agency database: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/agencydatabase

Concerns me as a Brewers fan who above all wants to avoid Arrieta and Lynn, because Boras has a relationship with our owner too (THANKS FOR KYLE LOHSE SCOTT).

ramssuperbowl99 beat me to the arrieta-boras client.

Sources: #Phillies have entertained possibility of signing *two* of the remaining free agent starters. While not likely to occur, the situation is financially plausible. At present, Philly has lowest payroll commitment of any @MLB team for 2018

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Phillies have had "recent contact" with free agent right-hander Lance Lynn.

Morosi cautions that the sides "are not close to a deal" and that the Phillies are also monitoring the market for Jake Arrieta. It's clear that Philadelphia wants to wind up with one of the remaining top free agent starters, though there hasn't been any talk tying the club to Alex Cobb. Lynn, 30, returned from Tommy John surgery last season to deliver a 3.43 ERA and 153 strikeouts in 186 1/3 innings with the Cardinals. He boasts a 3.38 career ERA in 977 2/3 total major league frames

23 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

*pulls out calendar*

Feb 28th today. 5 to 6 week recovery.
Astros opening Day is April 02, about 4.5 weeks.
Gurriel starts the season with a 5 day suspension for being a racist **** head.
Gurriel would first be elliglbe to come back April 8th, or 5.5 weeks from now.

I hate you Jeff Luhnow.

Astros Opening Day is actually March 29, we play them 4x in Arlington

April 2 is their home opener

I know that wasn't the actual point of your post

Phillies signing two of the starters along with carlos Santana would be quite a hit to our draft picks and international money. 

I think it could just be leverage we are using to get one of them to take a 3-year deal. 

3 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

Phillies signing two of the starters along with carlos Santana would be quite a hit to our draft picks and international money. 

Why would that be a hit?  There are hard caps on spending for both of those now.  Can't go nuts and spend $60 million internationally anymore.

32 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

I think it could just be leverage we are using to get one of them to take a 3-year deal. 

one of the reporters said if they did sign the 2 sp's with Santana they would draft 3 overall and then not again till round 5. not sure how true that is

38 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Why would that be a hit?  There are hard caps on spending for both of those now.  Can't go nuts and spend $60 million internationally anymore.

FA > $50M cost draft picks and bonus money. They amount depends on whether you pay luxury tax (the Phillies don't) or get revenue sharing (the Phillies don't).

If you are a no-no team, you lose your 2nd highest draft pick and $500k of bonus money. That happened to the Phillies already once with Santana, so they're down a 2nd rounder and $500k. 2 more starters > $50M would cost them their 3rd and 4th rounder, plus another $1M.

37 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

one of the reporters said if they did sign the 2 sp's with Santana they would draft 3 overall and then not again till round 5. not sure how true that is

This would be correct. And it would stink as we pick 3rd (already stinks losing our 2nd rounder for Santana).

From a long term perspective, I see us competing in 2 to 3 years. These players on may help us for the final year of those deals (if they are 3 year deals) to truly compete, but not sure if it is worth it (unless we are getting them for cheap). 

I mean its just something we have to consider. 

Think if the Phillies got one of the top starters they could be a wild card contender, helps they play in a weak NL East but they have a decent lineup right now. Add a Arrietta, Lynn and Cobb and they could contend into September. 

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

FA > $50M cost draft picks and bonus money. They amount depends on whether you pay luxury tax (the Phillies don't) or get revenue sharing (the Phillies don't).

If you are a no-no team, you lose your 2nd highest draft pick and $500k of bonus money. That happened to the Phillies already once with Santana, so they're down a 2nd rounder and $500k. 2 more starters > $50M would cost them their 3rd and 4th rounder, plus another $1M.

And people wonder why teams wouldn't just go sign these fleas... smh... why would you ever do this?

Just now, mission27 said:

And people wonder why teams wouldn't just go sign these fleas... smh... why would you ever do this?

Because the Orioles hand out IFA money like a fat mom hands out Halloween candy and 2nd or 3rd round picks really aren't all that valuable in the grand scheme of things tbh.

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because the Orioles hand out IFA money like a fat mom hands out Halloween candy and 2nd or 3rd round picks really aren't all that valuable in the grand scheme of things tbh.

not really true. around a 1/4 of teh guys in the top 50 prospects were drafted between picks 31-95ish. you can get really talented players there. so why give that up if youre only signing an above average veteran starter at an inflated cost?

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

not really true. around a 1/4 of teh guys in the top 50 prospects were drafted between picks 31-95ish. you can get really talented players there. so why give that up if youre only signing an above average veteran starter at an inflated cost?

At this point, nobody is getting signed at an inflated cost.  Every FA deal until the season starts will be a bargain of one kind or another.  

7 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

At this point, nobody is getting signed at an inflated cost.  Every FA deal until the season starts will be a bargain of one kind or another.  

It doesn't matter though.  The Orioles have a 0.3% chance of winning the World Series.  

Archived