17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

11 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I thought we were talking about guys who are clearly mlb ready and kept in the minors purely for service time. Didnt think that needed to be clarified but I guess I should have included to be clear.

Unfamiliar with the George Springer situation, I see.  To my knowledge, there hasn't been a more clear example of service time manipulation of an mlb-ready AAA prospect than his.  The Astros thought he was ready enough, to the point that they offered him a big league contract extension.  You aren't going to pay $2 million or whatever it was per year for a guy that you expect to sit in the minors.  Springer declined the offer, choosing instead to bet on himself, and the Astros gave him the middle finger and sent him to AAA for the bare minimum of 13 games so that they could get the extra year of control.  There wasn't even a half-assed defense of what they did, which most of the other situations have.  

38 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Unfamiliar with the George Springer situation, I see.  To my knowledge, there hasn't been a more clear example of service time manipulation of an mlb-ready AAA prospect than his.  The Astros thought he was ready enough, to the point that they offered him a big league contract extension.  You aren't going to pay $2 million or whatever it was per year for a guy that you expect to sit in the minors.  Springer declined the offer, choosing instead to bet on himself, and the Astros gave him the middle finger and sent him to AAA for the bare minimum of 13 games so that they could get the extra year of control.  There wasn't even a half-assed defense of what they did, which most of the other situations have.  

Before I die I will get you to admit Kris Bryant wasn't one of those. **** Mike Olt. :D

17 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Really? I think Solak is going to be better than Drury is now...

Thing is we have so many infield prospect that I don't think Solak was ever gonna get his shot here. Between Torres, Estrada, Andujar, Wade, and Didi. There isnt much of an opportunity for Solak. 

I think Drury will give us a starter at 3rd right away... Think Yanks are uncomfortable with Andujars defense. 

We are looking at a pretty decent lineup.

1. Brett Gardner DH

2. Didi Gregorius SS

3. Aaron Judge LF

4. Giancarlo Stanton RF

5. Gary Sanchez C

6. Greg Bird 1B

7. Aaron Hicks CF

8. Gleyber Torres 2B

9. Brandon Drury 3B

If we could sign one more starting pitcher to the mix then I'd say we would have to be the favorites heading into the 2018 season.

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

no, i was aware. As i said i just thought we were talking the broader issue of keeping guys down for service time. To drill into each individual example seemed kind of pointless to me since the overarching theme is the same, however thanks for laying out his specific case again.

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Is there a team that could be worse than the Marlins and Rays this year?

The Rays at least still have a couple passable pitchers left that can squeak out 70 wins. The Marlins? Hell no they'll be lucky to win 50 games. They're terrible now while everybody is healthy and nobody has gotten hurt as they inevitably do doing the slog of the season/

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

I don't even think the Rays are a bottom 10 team. 

Agreed.

Archer, Snell, Honeywell(if healthy), Faria, and Banda is a solid rotation

Colome, Hudson, Romo, and Kittredge is a good pen.

Potential rookies in Bauers, Arroyo, and Adames making an impact.

A very good defensive team.

If they hit, they could still be around .500

Archived