Did you know there was a game on?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know there was a game on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I don't care
    • No, and I still don't care.

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The next drive is going to be crucial for PIT - if LAC drives and scores, will PIT stay patient, and continue to be balanced?   Or will they become pass heavy, and play into the Chargers' hands?    I will also question why PIT thinks 50-50 balls to Claypool with Big Ben as the thrower is the default play.    With a great thrower, sure, put it where only Claypool can win.   But Ben's far from that guy.   It's no surprise that Diontae Johnson was more successful - he may be smaller, but his ability to create separation, even in short spaces, is the more effective (if somewhat unconventional) way to go, other than going after Friermuth.  I'm surprised they're only using Friermuth as a LOS safety valve, he could clearly win in the flats and short middle areas, not just LOS.   Wonder if we'll see the PIT O adapt in the 2H.

As for LAC, I will say that they could use a little more verticality to return in the air game, but they've added a LOT more diversity to today's passing game than the last 2-3 weeks (where it's been option routes for Allen / Ekeler, and slants for Mike Williams - uber predictable, and zero verticality, unlike the first 6 weeks).     They've looked more like the O juggernaut we've seen early in Sept/Oct (Dan Quinn's masterpiece week 2 notwithstanding).    Have to recognize what having no TJ Watt is doing, though - Herbert is absolutely killing the PIT D with his elusiveness.

LAC scores. Let’s see if the Steelers do become desperate like you said. I’m not as confident in our defense like I was earlier in the year.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Losing Shazier hurt so bad.

I was just talking about this the other day in the Bears forum when someone was saying a good DL can make ILBers look good. I used the Steelers as a an example and how much losing Shazier has hurt them and how bad Bush is.

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I was just talking about this the other day in the Bears forum when someone was saying a good DL can make ILBers look good. I used the Steelers as a an example and how much losing Shazier has hurt them and how bad Bush is.

Yeah there’s always exceptions when the player is special. RB is undervalued these days unless you have a prime LT, AP, or Marshawn Lynch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

LAC scores. Let’s see if the Steelers do become desperate like you said. I’m not as confident in our defense like I was earlier in the year.

Staley really does deserve COTY consideration.   

Consider this:

-He's literally been the difference for the LV game and the KC game with his 4th down calls.  Those were literal game-winners.

-It's not his fault GM Telesco won't value getting run-stuffing defenders - but he's adjusted in a MASSIVE way:

Now, they were 6th in EPA vs. the pass when they weren't so stacked box-heavy; and on paper they struggled in the pass game - but that coincided with losing most of their DB's.    I think Staley's found the balance - and with his CB's back, and the ILB's back to help support the run, they're still vulnerable vs. run-heavy teams, especially in neutral game scripts - but when they're up like this, the game flows so perfectly into what they want to do.  

All of which to say, I can truly say Staley's won the Chargers 2 games because of his coaching.  And I think his adjustment on D might be saving their season now.    Honestly, if LAC wins the AFCW, no matter who is the #1 seed in either conference, Staley easily gets my vote.

Back to the game - this is where Herbert gets to show MVP-level ability - avoid the TO's, and watch them drive again.    This is the team I see winning the AFCW, if they can stay healthy.   Next offseason, if Telesco finally invests in run D support with a true run-stuffing DT as a priority early pick or FA, watch out.   Even now, with their O, that coaching, pass rush and secondary, if they can avoid falling behind.....there's no team they can't beat.   There's also no team they can't lose to, if that said team can get ahead and lean on the run game to keep the ball away from Herbert & co.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3