Week 12: VIKINGS (5-5) at 49ers (5-5)

swede700

Must say something else, from the opening snap the 49ers were into the football game and playing with energy, passion and enthusiasm.  They looked like they were having fun, Vikings absolutely did not give off that vibe and ultimately shows in the performance.  

Cannot imagine how frustrating this season must be for some of the players.  

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Well we didn’t have a single starter on the D-Line available, lost our all-pro RB, and still kept it within a score on the road against a good team. I think this team at full strength is good. But we aren’t going to be anywhere near full strength for the rest of the season. 

There has been an explanation every loss. I get it, they were depleted. But they had chances, and lost. Just like the others. Too many could have games this year.

It was predictable that if you lead the league in unvaccinated players, you'd have issues. Many here did suggest that would be an issue. 

25 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

There has been an explanation every loss. I get it, they were depleted. But they had chances, and lost. Just like the others. Too many could have games this year.

It was predictable that if you lead the league in unvaccinated players, you'd have issues. Many here did suggest that would be an issue. 

I don’t think that’s the issue, really at all. Cousins hasn’t missed time, no other player missing a game will have the same impact as him. Not having Tomlinson means nothing, he’s been bad most of the year anyway. How about the injuries on defense, unrelated to covid. Or the fact that Cousins was off most of the second half. Or Cook running into a wall most of the game. Can’t keep blaming covid or vaccination status for everything. We’re not a good team but we’ll hang around and be in the mix.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t think that’s the issue, really at all. Cousins hasn’t missed time, no other player missing a game will have the same impact as him. Not having Tomlinson means nothing, he’s been bad most of the year anyway. How about the injuries on defense, unrelated to covid. Or the fact that Cousins was off most of the second half. Or Cook running into a wall most of the game. Can’t keep blaming covid or vaccination status for everything. We’re not a good team but we’ll hang around and be in the mix.

I didn't only blame that, and if it came across that way, my bad. 

Clearly I was wrong when I said defense, defense, defense in the draft thread. Once again, the OL was not good enough. Between the scouts and coaches, they've failed again there. 

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I didn't only blame that, and if it came across that way, my bad. 

Clearly I was wrong when I said defense, defense, defense in the draft thread. Once again, the OL was not good enough. Between the scouts and coaches, they've failed again there. 

Seems the interior is where the struggle is right now, mainly RG. They might have a fix already in Davis. Unacceptable for Cook to have such a low YPC the past few weeks. Don’t know if it’s a Cook thing or the OL, but the run game is a problem right now. Maybe Mattison and Kene can provide a spark if Cook is to miss time.

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’d say it’s a little talent. It’s just too many guys that aren’t going to be great doing everything they want to do.

It’s gone beyond the the talent at this point. It doesn’t matter who they put out there, it’s always the same result. That’s coaching.

The 5 guys that they’ve got out there have the size, they have the strength, they have the athleticism. We’ve seen them succeed. But they continue to have communication issues. That’s coaching. 

If you took Darrisaw, Cleveland, Cole, Udoh, and O’Neill and put them in Cleveland with Callahan and Stefanski coaching, do you think they’d look this bad? If you put them in Green Bay, do you think they’d look this bad? The Rams? San Francisco? 

Edited by SemperFeist

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s gone beyond the the talent at this point. It doesn’t matter who they put out there, it’s always the same result. That’s coaching.

The 5 guys that they’ve got out there have the size, they have the strength, they have the athleticism. We’ve seen them succeed. But they continue to have communication issues. That’s coaching. 

If you took Darrisaw, Cleveland, Cole, Udoh, and O’Neill and put them in Cleveland with Callahan and Stefanski coaching, do you think they’d look this bad? If you put them in Green Bay, do you think they’d look this bad? The Rams? San Francisco? 

Possibly, Compton on 49ers played and was not terrible and on the Vikings he looked like he was one of the worst guards in the league.  Same with Remmers when he was on Minnesota, then he is a starter on the Chiefs at times.

Packers have a ton of injuries on the OL and backups playing and they are still an effective offense even with rookies and guys who have never played starting.  

Still one cannot be totally pleased with what Udoh has looked like at guard when he should be a RT.  Not sure one should just quit drafting OL when center is clearly still up for grabs as is guard.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure one should just quit drafting OL when center is clearly still up for grabs as is guard.

You do t quit drafting them, but who they’re drafting isn’t the problem. It’s who’s coaching those that are drafted, and what they’re being asked to do that’s the problem. 

They could have drafted Rashaun Slater, Quenton Nelson, Frank Ragnow, Zach Martin, and Tristan Wirfs, and this coaching staff would have a struggling, bottom 5, offensive line. 

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You do t quit drafting them, but who they’re drafting isn’t the problem. It’s who’s coaching those that are drafted, and what they’re being asked to do that’s the problem. 

They could have drafted Rashaun Slater, Quenton Nelson, Frank Ragnow, Zach Martin, and Tristan Wirfs, and this coaching staff would have a struggling, bottom 5, offensive line. 

I totally disagree with that one, talent can at times totally make coaching not all that important.  Slater is a super star and an amazing athlete based on his dad who was a NBA player for 8 years.  Nelson is an All Pro and would be anywhere, same with Ragnow and Wirfs is a super star just in waiting.  

So I disagree, if the Vikings had those guys they would be just fine regardless of who the coach was.  No way any Offensive lineman on the Vikings is as talented as any of these guys are, not even close so that does kind of matter.  Even with Ragnow's injuries he is the only one in question, but the other four I would take any one of them over any OL on the Vikings right now.  

Also PS Rich Dennison is not some super star coach and is a freaking idiot for losing his job because he would not get a vaccine.  Also they gave up a crap ton of sacks with him as a full time coach so not sure he was the key to anything.  But yes I agree coaching does need to improve but so does the overall talent and ability.  But sure Green Bay is an example of doing just fine with mostly backup OL out there but that does not exactly happen all that often.  

2 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Cousins tired to take a snap from the guard.

That’s clutch Had to do a double take before that timeout was called. I’m sure Udoh was confused. Didn’t Brady forget a down once? Happens to the best of them but I don’t know if it was pressure, but Cousins looked out of it in the second half.