Any Packers getting dealt today?

{Family Ghost}

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what do you mean by retire and collect?

He retires. Then, we go after him and collect the 2/3rds of his signing bonus he’ll owe us. 4.2 Million.

If he retires, we’ll have paid him only 3.85 Million for the year. Big money on his deal doesn’t start until 2018.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

He retires. Then, we go after him and collect the 2/3rds of his signing bonus he’ll owe us. 4.2 Million.

If he retires, we’ll have paid him only 3.85 Million for the year. Big money on his deal doesn’t start until 2018.

yes but I think the cap is still dead cap no?  Which is way more important.  Cash is pretty meaningless.

Hmm, this article implies that the team gets cap credits if we collect the money:

https://overthecap.com/what-happens-when-calvin-johnson-retires/

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

ok.  But the money is still dead against the cap.

No. It’s written in the CBA that an arbitrator decides. In this case, I don’t see how we could lose. No reason for him to retire at age 30. No significant injury. He’s just quitting.

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

No. It’s written in the CBA that an arbitrator decides. In this case, I don’t see how we could lose. No reason for him to retire at age 30. No significant injury. He’s just quitting.

Agreed.  He states on instagram with 9 games remaining that this is likely his last.  This after just signing a 3 year contract 7-8 months ago.  Cant see a way that GB would not be able to get that $$ back

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

We're always compared to the Pats. So what they have made more trades then anyone else of the last decade. Lots of other teams haven't.

"Lots of other teams haven't" what? 

Made a single trade of consequence involving a player in over a decade?

Which ones?

14 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"Lots of other teams haven't" what? 

Made a single trade of consequence involving a player in over a decade?

Which ones?

I should have been more clear lots of teams haven't made trades period, not in the last decade. But i'm sure if i researched it a bit i could find some teams that haven't traded much in the last decade and if they did they were minute trades. With that said today not a team in the north made a trade that i can see. I wouldn't call it overly busy teams are starting to move players a bit more at the trade deadline but 12 out of 16 teams did not make moves in the NFC alone today. So just my two cents that trades still aren't the norm. I may have missed one deal but i think i got them all of PFT anyway. I'll venture to stick to my premise that the last decade is not full of trades minor ones here and there are the norm, maybe TT finds more in the future. Hard to sell players that aren't performing either.

NFC east only the Eagles were busy.

NFC west 49rs and Seahawks made deals

NFC south the Panthers traded away KB.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Let's not act like Rodgers being out has anything to do with our inactivity re the trade deadline.

Nope lots of teams didn't make trades today and they have their QB's in place. Pretty sure most teams like their guys, prefer draft picks and or generally aren't eager to trade. I'm sure we'd all like it more if we saw NFL or MLB trade stuff each year but it's just not happening yet and the Packers are one of many teams not dealing. With that said if they looked at making another deadline later in the year maybe it opens the door for more teams in the hunt to go after guys. 

Would be interested in what the Lions wanted for Ebron. Would've been a good buy low candidate for us IMO. I wouldn't have done anything more than a conditional 2019 6th/2018 7th for them to get that salary off their books. He'd have a 1/5m dollar deal to prove he's worth anything. I liked him a lot in the draft but he's never been consistent.

9 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I should have been more clear lots of teams haven't made trades period, not in the last decade. But i'm sure if i researched it a bit i could find some teams that haven't traded much in the last decade and if they did they were minute trades. With that said today not a team in the north made a trade that i can see. I wouldn't call it overly busy teams are starting to move players a bit more at the trade deadline but 12 out of 16 teams did not make moves in the NFC alone today. So just my two cents that trades still aren't the norm. I may have missed one deal but i think i got them all of PFT anyway. I'll venture to stick to my premise that the last decade is not full of trades minor ones here and there are the norm, maybe TT finds more in the future. Hard to sell players that aren't performing either.

NFC east only the Eagles were busy.

NFC west 49rs and Seahawks made deals

NFC south the Panthers traded away KB.

Oh if we are limiting it to just to the last couple of day before the trading deadline, then yeah lots of teams have not made trades.

But if all of 2017 is included, then Buffalo, Miami, NJ Jets, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco, and Seattle have all made trades involving players -- and this list does not include faux trades for conditional picks that never materialize like the Jayrone Elliott to Dallas transaction.

In reality, as with veteran free agency, no team in the NFL has made fewer trades involving players than the Green Bay Packers under Ted Thompson.

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Would be interested in what the Lions wanted for Ebron. Would've been a good buy low candidate for us IMO. I wouldn't have done anything more than a conditional 2019 6th/2018 7th for them to get that salary off their books. He'd have a 1/5m dollar deal to prove he's worth anything. I liked him a lot in the draft but he's never been consistent.

Doubt the Lions would entertain a trade to the Packers.

8 hours ago, Kenrik said:

I just don't see how GB can pay Adams next year and have three WRs making 35+ million. Unless someone restructures one of the three are gone next year. Why not try to get something in a season on the brink of over. If Ted doesn't want to concede, then get some defensive help.

I expect Cobb will be gone and Adams will get his payday from GB.  Monty can move back to the slot where he belongs.  I half wish the team would begin that process now and end this Monty the RB nonsense.  Monty in the slot would provide everything Cobb is providing, which at this point isn't much.  Bringing in some legit talent to groom as the replacement for Jordy has to be a priority in the draft.  I don't see Jordy's replacement on the current roster.  As for Jordy, I could see him adding a year to his deal in the off-season to get some guaranteed cash for 2019 while lowering his 2018 cap number.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I liked Ebron in the draft as well, but watching quite a few DET games over the past couple years has changed my mind.  Ebron takes the stone hands concept to a whole new level, and I think his next successful block in the running game might be his first.  Ebron is a slower Jared Cook with worse hands and kind of a crappy attitude.

Archived