2022 off season

Pastor Dillon

5 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I'll admit that there's a legitimate possibility Mills has already topped out, I just don't think so. The Mills we saw at the end of the year passed my eyeball test with flying colors, and watching him improve to that point was also very reassuring. 

Yes, Mills may have already peaked. I'll acknowledge that as a legitimate possibility. But it is also possible that Mills becomes the best QB in the league. I don't understand why people consider his ceiling to be so low. I think the sky's the limit. What can't he do? 

Like, for instance. Imagine if he was starting for the 49ers. Imagine the damage he might do in that offense, surrounded by those players and coaches. He could win a Superbowl with the 9ers, maybe even multiple Superbowls, right? Even on a team less put together than SF, I think Mills could really do some serious damage in this league. 

Time will tell. I'm not sure what he is yet, nobody is, but I'm betting it's better than people are expecting it to be. He's not just a game manager! He can create plays on his own, and he's so accurate! And the footwork is looking toight.. I just think the more football that kid gets to play, and the more defenses he gets to play against, the better he's gonna get. 

I saw nothing last year that said he could win multiple Super Bowls with the 49ers. He showed that in a weak draft class at QB, we are better off giving him a shot to start next year.  That’s all he’s done. 

• Like 2

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Texans have agreed to a one-year deal with LB Neville Hewitt.

Hewitt spent last season with the Texans, totaling 60 tackles and one tackle for a loss. It was a steep drop off from the 2020 season he had with the Jets, in which he totaled 134 tackles, six tackles for a loss and two sacks. Hewitt played sparingly on defense for the Texans in his first year with the team, appearing on just 325 defensive snaps per PFF.com, his fewest since 2018.

This team was 4-13 (or something like that) last year, right?  Why are we bringing back almost everybody?  

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

This team was 4-13 (or something like that) last year, right?  Why are we bringing back almost everybody?  

The team is sitting on $35mm in dead cap, and while they managed to create future savings - this cap is still in dire straights, so it’s still bargain bin shopping in FA.

I honestly don’t think that they’re ever going to buy in on big names in FA, the hope is to get your core on cheap contracts, surrounded by guys who can fall into place, and extend your young core when that time comes.

(…notice who I didn’t blame. That’s progress for me).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The team is sitting on $35mm in dead cap, and while they managed to create future savings - this cap is still in dire straights, so it’s still bargain bin shopping in FA.

I honestly don’t think that they’re ever going to buy in on big names in FA, the hope is to get your core on cheap contracts, surrounded by guys who can fall into place, and extend your young core when that time comes.

(…notice who I didn’t blame. That’s progress for me).

Yes, true.  I agree.  But you should be targeting young players with athletic ability that have been overlooked by other teams.  You then try to coach those players up - especially if going through a rebuild.  IMHO

It feels like we are fulfilling promises that were made last year about bringing players back.

Also, at no point, did I say anything about high-priced free agents... 

The core was bad... we knew that.  You begin building here (FA) and then add young, cap controlled talent through the draft...   

Target players that have NOT been given an opportunity by other teams... I like Kyle Allen, Jalen Camp, Scott Quessenberry, Morrissey, Keke, Okronkwo, Reggie Robinson, & MJ Stewart signings... that to me is young talent that has upside, but it didn't work out in other cities.

But I hear you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jch1911 said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Texans have agreed to a one-year deal with LB Neville Hewitt.

Because we are tanking one more season. The goal is to get 3-4 starters in this draft and then 3-4 starters in next years draft. We have loads of cap space next off season. 

for me this season is about Davis Mills. Is he a long term starter at QB? Do we look at QB in the 2023 draft?  We aren’t gonna be a playoff team this year unless for some reason Mills is a lot better in year 2 than realistic people expect. 

• Like 2

Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports that Giants CB James Bradberry will be traded.

"It's a matter of when, not if," Leonard says. Leonard lists the Texans, Chiefs, and Colts as possible landing spots for the veteran corner. Bradberry has a $21 million cap hit, though it would be closer to $13 million for whoever acquires him and that number could possibly be re-negotiated as part of a new deal. The Giants have been working to move Bradberry since before free agency started and are likely seeking a mid-rounder. 

As I said before, acquire him and see what is happening during the season  Can sign him to a new deal if he is solid contributor or move him to a contender at the trade deadline.

• Like 1