2022 off season

Pastor Dillon

Ravens released WR Miles Boykin.

The move saves the Ravens $2.5 million in cap space. Baltimore was reportedly attempting to trade Boykin prior to his release. Unsurprisingly, there wasn't a market for a receiver coming off a one-catch season that saw him appear in eight games. Finger and hamstring issues kept him off the field for the other nine outings of the season. Boykin posted impressive numbers at the combine but has failed to make much of his upper-echelon athleticism since entering the league three years ago. It won't take long for him to become a reclamation project for another team.

I'd sign him for minimum... but me thinks a team like GB or KC will kick the tires first

13 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I'd sign him for minimum... but me thinks a team like GB or KC will kick the tires first

We already have Chris Conley on roster, a triangle H/W/S prototype who doesn’t produce… so I’d let someone else try to get him. 

Honestly, I’m waiting until the end of the month to fill out the rest of the roster. I have a very strong feeling there are going to be UDFAs that are going to bring much more to the table than Boykin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

We already have Chris Conley on roster, a triangle H/W/S prototype who doesn’t produce… so I’d let someone else try to get him. 

Honestly, I’m waiting until the end of the month to fill out the rest of the roster. I have a very strong feeling there are going to be UDFAs that are going to bring much more to the table than Boykin.

Meh... no... he was a draft crush!... he will do wonders here!.. just give him a chance! 

Ok... I'll go take my medication now... ;) (whiskey)

IRL we could sign a player like Isaiah Weston as an UDFA.

Just going to point out Boykin was a VERY good blocker at WR with his size and speed.  If we are dedicated to running the ball more, he does bring that skill and when other teams load the box to stop Breece Hall ;) .... ZOOM... he is off for a TD! (that's my rose-colored glasses observation)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Steelers claimed WR Miles Boykin off waivers from the Ravens.

I mean there is a reason why the Steelers have never had a losing season under Tomlin.  Yo baby Yo

Edit: doesn't hurt that his former teammate also plays WR for PIT and is another H/W/S human being.

Edited by jch1911

19 hours ago, Blaze said:

Not sure how wise it would be but it would be fun to watch. I would hate to blow all that Deshaun capital on a WR/Weapon trade.

Going to say this is 100% speculation simply because the Texans have assets to burn. Amazing how teams suddenly “show interest” when they have extra picks…

Nick Caserio is too pragmatic to act rash on this. I can say there is very little chance the Texans consider this - and if they do, I overestimated their approach (and Caserio’s intelligence).

As far as Deebo - he’s going to be the next Lev Bell, a guy who showed out in an offense tailored to his ability, only to vanish into thin air once he started running for money. Deebo is a Shanahan WR through and through, trying to get him to do what he did in another system is basically begging to waste picks and cap.

Don’t do it, Nick. Focus on the rebuild, moves such as this are reserved for teams that are a piece or two away - which isn’t the Texans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Going to say this is 100% speculation simply because the Texans have assets to burn. Amazing how teams suddenly “show interest” when they have extra picks…

Nick Caserio is too pragmatic to act rash on this. I can say there is very little chance the Texans consider this - and if they do, I overestimated their approach (and Caserio’s intelligence).

As far as Deebo - he’s going to be the next Lev Bell, a guy who showed out in an offense tailored to his ability, only to vanish into thin air once he started running for money. Deebo is a Shanahan WR through and through, trying to get him to do what he did in another system is basically begging to waste picks and cap.

Don’t do it, Nick. Focus on the rebuild, moves such as this are reserved for teams that are a piece or two away - which isn’t the Texans.

To be fair, Debo was on pace to have a monster season as a pure WR through 8 games. 

Then they started using him as a rusher and in other ways. 

Thinking about it now after a knee jerk reaction to wanting him, it's a hard no.

Sure he's elite now but we need guys who fit the future mold of the team. We're still way to early in the rebuild. 

He would be the clear cut best player on the team by far in my eyes, but we don't need that right now. Especially with the 20-25 million dollar price tag for the next 5-6 years. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

To be fair, Debo was on pace to have a monster season as a pure WR through 8 games. 

I agree with this, but I also see this as his only productive season in three years, in an offense that’s specific to him. There are “Denver WRs” who thrived on that play action passing system that lil Shanny and his offense creates.

So, in those offenses - guys like Julio, AJ look like unstoppable monsters. Likewise - guys like Kevin Walter, Julio Jones, Mohammad Sanu and Taylor Gabriel go from below average to very good.

So… is Deebo an AJ/Julio, or a Walter/Sanu? If I’m being objective, I don’t know - I can’t really say either way. I’m fine paying an AJ or Julio $28mm/yr, but I’m going to throw up if we pay a Mo Sanu or Kevin Walter $28mm/yr.

26 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

He would be the clear cut best player on the team by far in my eyes, but we don't need that right now. Especially with the 20-25 million dollar price tag for the next 5-6 years. 

200% agree on this.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, jch1911 said:

Steelers claimed WR Miles Boykin off waivers from the Ravens.

I mean there is a reason why the Steelers have never had a losing season under Tomlin.  Yo baby Yo

Edit: doesn't hurt that his former teammate also plays WR for PIT and is another H/W/S human being.

*shrug*

It's more likely they picked him up to learn the Ravens playbook, tbh.

You guys got a great player if used right in MJ Stewart. He isnt much of a corner, especially outside and even nickel he is underwhelming, but he is a great tackling safety. His tackling is exceptional, for a small guy he stops peoples in their tracks. He never seems to miss his tackles. Our defense was better when he was on field in that role. I would have kept him over Grant Delpit. 

he also has a noise for the ball, he is able to come up with INTs, and FF. 

• Like 5