Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo

Dr LBC

Devin Funchess
Russell Shepard
Curtis Samuel
Kaelin Clay

Panthers' current WRs lmao we're doomed. Maybe we can promote, uh, Mose Frazier from the practice squad...

Then at TE we have Ed Dickson and Chris Manhertz... and we have a game against Atalnta this week.

Panthers are retarded. Okay the offense is struggling and KB hasn't lit it up this year, but I don't see how this helps them now. They're 5-3 and right in the mix with the Falcons and Saints. You don't trade away a quality piece that can you help you right now in your quest for the division. All this does is make Cam's job harder for 2017. Stupid. 

2 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Devin Funchess
Russell Shepard
Curtis Samuel
Kaelin Clay

Panthers' current WRs lmao we're doomed. Maybe we can promote, uh, Mose Frazier from the practice squad...

Then at TE we have Ed Dickson and Chris Manhertz... and we have a game against Atalnta this week.

Christian to full time receiver?

10 hours ago, KManX89 said:

The Bills were 5-2 and getting good QB play with the worst receiving core in the league before robbing the Panther's blind.

If I'm a Bills fan, I'm loving this deal. 

You are overrating Benjamin if you think they robbed us blind.  He definitely isn't worth more than a 3rd. 

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

You are overrating Benjamin if you think they robbed us blind.  He definitely isn't worth more than a 3rd. 

I'll happily give a 3rd round pick for him lol. Spin it how you want but this trade in no way helps Carolina - maybe they'll turn a late 3rd round pick into a good player but the Bills def won this trade. Weird seeing them at 5-3 and trading their number #1. My brother is a hugeeee panthers fan and is happy about Funchess but even he was scratching his head.

16 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I'll happily give a 3rd round pick for him lol. Spin it how you want but this trade in no way helps Carolina - maybe they'll turn a late 3rd round pick into a good player but the Bills def won this trade. Weird seeing them at 5-3 and trading their number #1. My brother is a hugeeee panthers fan and is happy about Funchess but even he was scratching his head.

I would love Benjamin for a 3rd.

All I've heard for years is how bad Cam has it, and how he needs receivers.  They now trade away his top target.  

Do you really think the Panthers, at 5-3 and in the thick of the playoff race, would trade someone that they thought would hurt them to the extent you are describing?  That alone should be a sign that Benjamin isn't the caliber of player you all seem to think he is. 

This reminds me (to a lesser extent) the reactions when we traded Ealy. Everyone swore we lost the trade and that Ealy had some untapped potential. As it turns out, we have a top five pass rush in the NFL and the Patriots don't even have Ealy anymore. 

I'm not looking to spin anything. Benjamin just isn't that good. He has a lot of potential as a #2 possession receiver on the outside, but the Bills will quickly see his flaws if they are asking him to be a consistent #1. And teams find #2s in the 3rd round pretty frequently lately. Alas, he's not worth more than a 3rd. He will flash but he lacks the speed, agility, burst, and route running to be a top guy. If the Bills are OK with that, they will like him. But if he plays like he did last year, then there will be problems. He had issues running the correct routes with us in his 3rd year.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Do you really think the Panthers, at 5-3 and in the thick of the playoff race, would trade someone that they thought would hurt them to the extent you are describing? 

This reminds me (to a lesser extent) the reactions when we traded Ealy. Everyone swore we lost the trade and that Ealy had some untapped potential. As it turns out, we have a top five pass rush in the NFL and the Patriots don't even have Ealy anymore. 

I'm not looking to spin anything. Benjamin just isn't that good. He has a lot of potential as a #2 possession receiver on the outside, but the Bills will quickly see his flaws if they are asking him to be a consistent #1. And teams find #2s in the 3rd round pretty frequently lately. Alas, he's not worth more than a 3rd. 

Who do the Panthers replace him with?

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

He was your best receiver, on a very team friendly deal with a terrible WR draft coming up. You don't get those sort of players for a 3rd. He would have been fair value for a 2nd + early day 3 pick

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Who do the Panthers replace him with?

Funchess will take over Benjamin's outside role.  Funchess in a lot of ways has out-played Benjamin and at worst, been on par.  He's a much better route-runner and although he isn't as good at using his body as Benji is (which is one of his biggest strengths - he is a great jump ball receiver), he has better hands.  Neither is much of a speed guy, but Funchess is definitely quicker.  On the other side, I would expect to see more Shepherd and Samuel.  Samuel has been misused in the slot due to having both Benjamin/Funchess.  This lets him play outside more, but Shepherd should get more time too.  There is also McCaffrey, who has the most catches on the team anyway.  He's already shown the ability to be a great route-runner and this could be our way of letting him play in the slot more and Olsen should be back soon.

I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm hating on Benjamin.  He has been better this year than he was last year.  Last year, he looked lazy.  Countless times he wouldn't finish his route, if he even ran the right one.  Most Panthers fans, including me, were questioning if we should even pick up his 5th year option.  If this happened before the season, I don't think people would have been as surprised as they are now.  Even this year, despite his improvements, he just isn't a good fit in our offense.  More than that, he isn't a good fit on a team already starting another guy like Funchess (they have different skill-sets, but having 2 receivers who lack in deep threat ability starting for you on the outside isn't helpful).  He could be better for Buffalo, depending on their expectations and what they have him do.  I would be concerned if they trot Benjamin and Matthews out there as their starters.  But if they use him right - ask him to do the things he is best at rather than what he obviously can't do like we were asking, then they will be happy.  

This was probably Gettleman's biggest mistake here.  Thinking he had to surround Cam with big receivers who can't separate (Benjamin was last in the NFL in separation last year).  Cam, as seen in 2015, works better with quicker receivers who can get separation, even if they have a limited route-tree ala Ginn.  When that happens, Cam isn't asked to consistently make tough, small window throws which he isn't accurate enough to connect on a consistent enough basis with.  

8 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

He was your best receiver, on a very team friendly deal with a terrible WR draft coming up. You don't get those sort of players for a 3rd. He would have been fair value for a 2nd + early day 3 pick

Have you been watching the NFL this year?  It feels like every team has a solid contributor in the passing game that was drafted in the 3rd round or later.  Thielen has been one of the most productive WRs this year and he wasn't even drafted.  Hill, who is already a better WR than Benji, is consistently burning teams.  Diggs, M. Thomas, Baldwin, Hogan, JuJu, Hilton, and K. Allen are just names off the top of my head who have been established themselves in the NFL who were 3rd round picks (if not later).

If you think you can't get a receiver like Benjamin in the 3rd round, then you either aren't paying attention or you seriously overrate Benjamin.  Hell, before the season, there were threads asking who the top 20 receivers in the NFL were and I don't think anyone had Benjamin in any of them (rightfully so).  You would trade a 2nd round pick for a receiver coming off a terrible 2016 season and isn't one of the 20 best at his position?

@Jakuvious probably made the best comparison earlier in the thread.  He's Dwayne Bowe... and maybe not even that good.

17 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

The meme that CMC is a receiver needs to end. Dude is playing out of the backfield 90% of the time and is typically the last read.

AKA.... Shula is a moron.

He leads the Panthers in receptions (49 to the next closest 33) and targets (66 to the next closest 58)... I don't care where he lines up, he's a receiver. 

Edit: Also, with Benji gone he leads the team in receiving yards as well. 

Archived