Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo

Dr LBC

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The Bills' WR corps is so damn slow.

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t watch Jordan Matthews much but I was watching the Raiders/Bills game this past weekend and my goodness, he was running a slant over the middle and it looked like he was running in quicksand. 

31 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I don’t think he’s anything special. But he’s not bad either. Not a WR1, but he fits with the rest of the inconsistent borderline 1,000 yard receivers out there that litter the landscape as decent and upper end WR2 options.

Benjamin is mediocre to me. He's pretty frustrating.

He'll make flash plays that make you wonder though.

53 minutes ago, Jeezla said:
1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Am I the only one that doesn't really like Benjamin?

Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin.... BLAH

I think that's a pretty good core if the Bills sign Cousins or draft a 4000+ yard capable QB. Just needs someone to take the top off, like a JJ Nelson or John Brown. Either way, it's the best set of Weapons Tyrod has had to work with, if they can all get/stay healthy.

I'm not trying to say that that group of receivers is awful. I mean there are worse units. The Eagles were definitely worse just last year.

I just think its a bunch of meh receivers.

Benjamin is up and down. 

I think you know my feelings by now on Matthews. He's pretty meh. Not a bad receiver at all, but inconsistent hands and just not dynamic. 

I didn't understand taking Zay Jones early in the 2nd round. Just didn't think he warranted that high of a selection.

Matthews is in the last year of his deal and Benjamin's is cheap this year, but will be making 8.5 million next year and is a FA in 2019. I'm not too sure I would want either of those guys on my team long term unless you get them for a very reasonable (cheapish) deal.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I think that's a pretty good core if the Bills sign Cousins or draft a 4000+ yard capable QB. Just needs someone to take the top off, like a JJ Nelson or John Brown. Either way, it's the best set of Weapons Tyrod has had to work with, if they can all get/stay healthy.

Is Benjamin a good blocker for a WR? Does he boost Shady's value at all on outside runs or screens?

I was just listening to an interview with Beane, the Bills GM, and he said yes. He scouted Benjamin out of Florida when the Panthers took him in the draft. 

52 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t watch Jordan Matthews much but I was watching the Raiders/Bills game this past weekend and my goodness, he was running a slant over the middle and it looked like he was running in quicksand. 

Yup Matthews is decent with Yards After Catch. He had a 30 yard catch and run that got called off for OPI only because DB slipped in rain and the ref thought Matthews pushed off. Not fastest guy on Earth but he can run once he gets ball in his hands.

They may be slow but at least we get some spacing now... We had no receivers who could play outside. Benjamin despite being slow can play outside and allow Matthews and Zay to play where they play best.

And if we need a speed guy Thompson is decent and super fast to bring off the bench.

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Am I the only one that doesn't really like Benjamin?

Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin.... BLAH

You're not alone, no. My first reaction seeing the news was that I thought Benjamin has been nothing but mediocre. But everyone seems hyped about the trade. I don't think he's worth what they gave up in picks.

His career thus far reminds me too much of Dwayne Bowe. Possession receiver with only decent hands, a great blocker, but no real ability to get separation through speed, agility, or route running. And only a semi-productive #1 WR because he's on a team with no one to push his spot on the depth chart or fight for targets. Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm meh on the trade for him for all the same reasons I was underwhelmed on signing Matthews.

I don’t get what Carolina is trying to do here. Their WR corps has never been very good, and they have never been deep at that position. I get Benjamin hasn’t been as good as he should be, but he is the best they have. I’m lost there. 

Not sure why Carolina would do this.  He was one of the few decent WRs they had on the roster.  And it was already a weaker position for them.  As for Buffalo, only giving up a 3rd and 7th for someone who can upgrade a thin WR corps and a big body for Taylor on the outside is a good move for them.

Archived