2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

What happens to this comparison after you exclude Siemian's outlier year?

You’re right. We should totally give significant weight to one great season Nick Foles did as a player nearly a decade ago and not the eight incredibly replacement level ones he’s had since then. Which do you think is more reflective of what he actually might do if he has to play?

Do you think we should have targeted Josh Gordon in FA too? I mean, he hasn’t done **** in the NFL for years that’s any good, but he had 1646 yards receiving in 2013. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Why are we comparing them at all?

If either has to start more than 2-3 games the season is over. 

The only comparison that matters is what we pay them to hold a clipboard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re right. We should totally give significant weight to one great season Nick Foles did as a player nearly a decade ago and not the eight incredibly replacement level ones he’s had since then. Which do you think is more reflective of what he actually might do if he has to play?

Do you think we should have targeted Josh Gordon in FA too? I mean, he hasn’t done **** in the NFL for years that’s any good, but he had 1646 yards receiving in 2013. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. It's a back up QB for what is a rebuilding year. I really don't care who is in there this year. It is going to have almost zero impact on this year. If they do play and they suck it just means better draft position next year. We really can't lose if you look at this through the proper lens. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

But since you asked: 

Foles TD:INT ratio excl. 2013 is 1.34:1 (55:41)

Siemien TD:INT ratio excl. 2021 is 1.25:1 (30:24)

So basically exactly the same. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

Interesting thread I stumbled across since this draft is deep in impact position players like WR. So would you trade our potentially & hypothetical top 15 FRP for a top 15 FRP this year. This would a way to get Olave and have 2nd's & a 3rd for really shoring up the O as much as possible. Tgere is an additional view that since we have so much CAP we will to add 2-3 impact FA's next year. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Interesting thread I stumbled across since this draft is deep in impact position players like WR. So would you trade our potentially & hypothetical top 15 FRP for a top 15 FRP this year. This would a way to get Olave and have 2nd's & a 3rd for really shoring up the O as much as possible. Tgere is an additional view that since we have so much CAP we will to add 2-3 impact FA's next year. Thoughts?

i....don't hate this idea? totally depends on the team we would make the trade with. If it's one of the eagles picks, i take a WR. If its giants/jets, i would focus on OT (cross, ickey, neal), DE (johnson or kavon), CB (gardner, stingly)

11 minutes ago, malagabears said:

In theory, it sounds like a fine idea but the cost is going to be prohibitive IMO.  I believe the last time a team "punted" their FRP was in 2007 when the Patriots traded the pick to the 49ers to select Joe Staley, but they traded the 28th pick.  I'd have to imagine that one of the Bears' SRP would need to go to the Eagles/Giants/Jets in order to get that trade done.  The Eagles trading 16 and the Bears trading 39 would value that future Bears' pick as the 39th pick this year, so I don't think it's off.  If you use 15/48, that difference would be roughly the 29th pick this year.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

In theory, it sounds like a fine idea but the cost is going to be prohibitive IMO.  I believe the last time a team "punted" their FRP was in 2007 when the Patriots traded the pick to the 49ers to select Joe Staley, but they traded the 28th pick.  I'd have to imagine that one of the Bears' SRP would need to go to the Eagles/Giants/Jets in order to get that trade done.  The Eagles trading 16 and the Bears trading 39 would value that future Bears' pick as the 39th pick this year, so I don't think it's off.  If you use 15/48, that difference would be roughly the 29th pick this year.

It is a complex formula that doesn't really exist. The only potential leverage the Bears would have is that their FRP in 2023 "could be" high to give the other trading team a chance to pick their impact player, which is supposedly deep in QB's in this draft.

Edited by malagabears

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

They both suck. Statistically, Siemian sucks more. He's not noticeably more athletic or mobile than Foles.

A one-legged hobo is more mobile than Foles.

Siemian is well versed in the Kubiak offense, which will be all over Getsy's scheme.

15 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Straight up our 2023 1 and that’s it for their 2022 1? **** yeah I’d do it. It would never work out that way though because present day picks are worth more than future picks, but if we swung it somehow I’d prioritize landing one of the stud LT prospects, of which there are several this year. I’d love Olave for Fields, but I’d love a cost-controlled franchise LT for 5 years plus one of the R2 WRs even more.  

14 minutes ago, malagabears said:

It is a complex formula that doesn't really exist. The only potential leverage the Bears would have is that their FRP in 2023 "could be" high to give the other trading team a chance to pick their impact player, which is supposedly deep in QB's in this draft.

Let me ask you this, if you were in the Eagles/Jets/Giants' shoes, would you do that deal?  I really don't think any GM would.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let me ask you this, if you were in the Eagles/Jets/Giants' shoes, would you do that deal?  I really don't think any GM would.

No, common sense would probably dictate an overpay. As AZ said if it were just as simple as pick swaps in different years than F yeah. But that isn't the case.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

MAYBE the Eagles, but only if they get one of our 2nd rounders too. But I wouldn’t make a deal like this into the middle of the 1st as the Bears until draft day so I know exactly what it’s getting me for 2022. 

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

MAYBE the Eagles, but only if they get one of our 2nd rounders too. But I wouldn’t make a deal like this into the middle of the 1st as the Bears until draft day so I know exactly what it’s getting me for 2022. 

would the eagles want Ejax? 2023 first and eddie for a 2022 first? i doubt it, but just spitballing different scenarios that don't include our picks. can't think of anyone else they would even be interested that doesn't include players we likely wouldnt want to trade (ro, jaylon, mooney, etc...)

• Like 1