2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

I get that a player may have refused to come some or all of these may not have been possible.  

But ... 

Why not trade for Amari Cooper?

Cleveland landed Cooper for a 5th rounder.   He is  still owed 60 million for next 3 years, but only 4.8 against cap this year and can be extended in next two which are 23 mil each.   

A bargain for higher WR market and he is still only 27 years old.   And he is better than all guys that made huge bank aside from Tyreek and Adams.

We could have had Cooper and Mooney for much of Fields rookie deal.   If we do nothing we still have him for a bargain for 3 years.

Cooper is a number 1 WR talent and adding him alone remakes the whole WR core.  

Why not DJ Chark?

He signed a 1 year deal.  Probably gambling on himself.   But he likely takes a 2 or 3 year deal with 2 guaranteed.

Worth a gamble on an injured player who is 6'4, 200 and runs a 4.3.

Adding Chark and Cooper for next 3 years with Mooney gives Fields no excuses.  

But in alternative to Chark, if he wouldn't come, I would have taken JuJu who signed for less than Pringle.

I would have also signed James Washington who signed for just a tad more than ESB who has done nothing in the league.   Though I do like ESB athletically, I can't overlook that he has done nothing of note. 

OL

Why not Morgan Moses?

He signed for 3 yrs and 15 Mil.   That is nothing for a solid OT.    Now you can play Borom or Jenkins or him at Guard or at least have solid depth at position in a camp competition and still signed Patrick and Bates for inside.

Pretty much remakes the OL with one good vet OT signing.   

Why not Brian Allen?

Brian Allen signed a 3 year very reasonable deal which gives you an out in 3rd year.   He is a local kid.   I don't get why we didn't make a harder push for him.

DL

Why not make a run at BJ Hill?   I get that he recently said he really wanted to return to Cincinnati.   But concentrated recruiting from get go and more money and agent and his wife would have convinced him.

He signed for far less than Ogunjobi and is the great talent and upside IMO.

Why not resign Nichols?   Nichols would be a good 3 tech IMO.  He has a really quick first step.  His best days are still ahead of him.

I don't get the Ogunjobi deal in light of other non-moves.   Either Hill or Nichols would have been a better investment moneywise IMO.

TE

Why not Robert Tonyan?

Another 1 year player who likely could have been had for a 2 year commitment or a 3 year cap friendly deal that is really 2 years.

A position change guy who has really blossomed and prior to his injury was becoming a favorite target of Rodgers.

Local kid too that is from McHenry - which is where I am typing as we speak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I feel Poles will always be disciplined in FA and really target the draft above all else then use the cap to pay his own guys...it's the smart long term plan...just need to hope most of us were right about there being more talent on this team than the coaches let them show last season.

He literally said this was going to be his approach. Sucks to miss out on Bates, but on to the next move… 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Good luck talking the masses out of their hysteria with this kind of logic, Brad.

People have been saying basically forever that guard is the most easily replaceable plug-and-play OL position. The best OL play tackle, then center, then the rest at guard. Now we are incorporating an OL system that famously relies more on guys with traits than needing stud individuals. Yet the world is about to end for some because in late March we have one pressing hole in the starting lineup, at… guard.

I have some anxiety about how the offseason has gone so far, but that which I have for how our OL will take shape come September is still pretty far down the list. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Good luck talking the masses out of their hysteria with this kind of logic, Brad.

People have been saying basically forever that guard is the most easily replaceable plug-and-play OL position. The best OL play tackle, then center, then the rest at guard. Now we are incorporating an OL system that famously relies more on guys with traits than needing stud individuals. Yet the world is about to end for some because in late March we have one pressing hole in the starting lineup, at… guard.

I have some anxiety about how the offseason has gone so far, but that which I have for how our OL will take shape come September is still pretty far down the list. 

I don't care about a mid level G.

I think adding a good OT would raise all boats.  Best 2 play OT and next guy plays G.

But he should have done so out of gate.

I am having anxiety because our current starting 22 is the worst in the league as it stands and I don't want to lose out on the most talented QB we have had on roster since Sid Luckman in 40s - the 40s! to a crappy supporting cast.

I am not looking for a Cubs style rebuild when we have a talented rookie QB in fold now.   We have two years to put this together.

It can't ALL happen next year.  And if we are total shiite this year, it will have repercussions I think.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I get that a player may have refused to come some or all of these may not have been possible.  

But ... 

Cleveland landed Cooper for a 5th rounder.   He is  still owed 60 million for next 3 years, but only 4.8 against cap this year and can be extended in next two which are 23 mil each.   

A bargain for higher WR market and he is still only 27 years old.   And he is better than all guys that made huge bank aside from Tyreek and Adams.

We could have had Cooper and Mooney for much of Fields rookie deal.   If we do nothing we still have him for a bargain for 3 years.

Why not DJ Chark?

He signed a 1 year deal.  Probably gambling on himself.   But he likely takes a 2 or 3 year deal with 2 guaranteed.

But in alternative to Chark, if he wouldn't come, I would have taken JuJu who signed for less than Pringle.

I would have also signed James Washington who signed for just a tad more than ESB who has done nothing in the league.   Though I do like ESB athletically, I can't overlook that he has done nothing of note. 

OL

Why not Morgan Moses?

He signed for 3 yrs and 15 Mil.   That is nothing for a solid OT.    Now you can play Borom or Jenkins or him at Guard or at least have solid depth at position in a camp competition and still signed Patrick and Bates for inside.

Why not Brian Allen?

Brian Allen signed a 3 year very reasonable deal which gives you an out in 3rd year.   He is a local kid.   I don't get why we didn't make a harder push for him.

DL

Why not make a run at BJ Hill?   I get that he recently said he really wanted to return to Cincinnati.   But concentrated recruiting from get go and more money and agent and his wife would have convinced him.

Why not resign Nichols?   Nichols would be a good 3 tech IMO.  He has a really quick first step.  His best days are still ahead of him.

I don't get the Ogunjobi deal in light of other non-moves.   Either Hill or Nichols would have been a better investment moneywise IMO.

TE

Why not Robert Tonyan?

Another 1 year player who likely could have been had for a 2 year commitment or a 3 year cap friendly deal that is really 2 years.

A position change guy who has really blossomed and prior to his injury was becoming a favorite target of Rodgers.

I’m sorry that you are in McHenry, I used to live there and haven’t been back or want to go back. 

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But ... 

Why not DJ Chark?

OL

Why not Morgan Moses?

Why not Brian Allen?

DL

TE

Why not Robert Tonyan?

Maybe he meant the 7th and 8th waves, not 2nd and 3rd

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the fact we are paying Lucas Patrick and average of $4 million & offered Bates and average of $4.25 million a year says what Poles thinks of his skill to assess offensive linemen and not just go after big names and pay big money...as I have said before Creed Humphrey & Trey Smith alone buys Poles plenty of rope to find us capable interior linemen...

As much as losing Bates does suck we still probably go into next season with Jenkins-Whitehair-Patrick-rookie-Borom...in this scheme that isn't a bad starting 5.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as losing Bates does suck we still probably go into next season with Jenkins-Whitehair-Patrick-rookie-Borom...in this scheme that isn't a bad starting 5.

That is a really optimistic statement.

Jenkins and Borom are not proven NFL players.   Whitehair has not played well of late and Patrick was a sub-in starter who was allowed to leave.   On top of that you are penciling in a rookie.

A wide zone scheme is not bad or unproven player proof.   I am not sure where that notion keeps coming from, but I keep hearing it.

Michael Deiter might be gettable in a trade, has versatility along the interior but has been mainly a center. I say a 2023 4th conditional to 3rd if he is available. Miami used a zone blocking scheme with RPO's but Fields is much more more mobile and has way better arm strength than Tua.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1508528314163499009

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That is a really optimistic statement.

Jenkins and Borom are not proven NFL players.   Whitehair has not played well of late and Patrick was a sub-in starter who was allowed to leave.   On top of that you are penciling in a rookie.

A wide zone scheme is not bad or unproven player proof.   I am not sure where that notion keeps coming from, but I keep hearing it.

As much as I like Bates...he had started 4 NFL games...less than Borom...lets not think this OL wasn't going to be inexperienced...I have been as critical as anyone of Whitehair but I trust him way more in this scheme than in a power scheme...I am high on Patick and think he will provide a big time upgrade on Mustipher...I also have no doubt a 2nd round rookie can play at guard early in his career...

Also no one is saying playing zone is easy...it is however easier than power man and out players are a better fit for it than they ever wear for a man scheme.