2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They should use both picks on offense. The talent on this team is still massively unbalanced to the defense.

We are still spending 23 million more on our defense this season than our offense. This is after years of over investing under Pace.

Whatever money is budgeted for defense should be spread through the defense.

And that is the problem right there...you want balance but only if that balance is for the offence...

You want Poles to over correct for what Pace did...this shouldn't be about just making the offence better...it should be about adding as much talent as possible all over this team and making the team better.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And that is the problem right there...you want balance but only if that balance is for the offence...

You want Poles to over correct for what Pace did...this shouldn't be about just making the offence better...it should be about adding as much talent as possible all over this team and making the team better.

It's an offensive league, though. There should be more money going to protect the only guy that matters, the QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

As long as the draft picks are ready week 1 and no one gets hurt.

Going 3 deep at DT while taking risks at RG and OT just doesn’t line up for me.

It's March 31st broheim.

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I’m all for collecting the best talent, I’m just not sure that Ogun is that. What does spending $6-7-8m on him for one year get us? I don’t mind spending $2-3m on a vet to complete the roster, but I’d rather roll that money over into 2023 and beyond, and at the same time give younger/potential long term contributors the snaps

35 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

It's an offensive league, though. There should be more money going to protect the only guy that matters, the QB.

Your right it is an offensive league...and if you don't have a pass rush you will be eaten alive...

I am all for adding offence believe me...but I am also not naive to the fact that there are 31 other teams around the NFL who are trying to get the best FA talent out there...Ogunjobi is one of the more talented guys out there...if you can add him and then we should...the best teams don't let good players slip through their fingers...we just saw it...the Bills matched on Bates even though they signed three interior linemen in FA and reupped Mitch Morse...you can't turn down talent especially when you then have two 2nd round picks to take a wideout and a OL...

Like I said I don't believe Ogun is coming here...I am not even pushing for it...what I am saying however is if Poles rated him highly enough to offer him near $13 million a year he shouldn't then not sign him because he needs a guard or a wideout where there is no one else out there he would pay that amount of money too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m all for collecting the best talent, I’m just not sure that Ogun is that. What does spending $6-7-8m on him for one year get us? I don’t mind spending $2-3m on a vet to complete the roster, but I’d rather roll that money over into 2023 and beyond, and at the same time give younger/potential long term contributors the snaps

I don't think we have much need to roll money forward...current projection is $117 million in cap space.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's March 31st broheim.

Are the available veterans going to be better on April 31st?

They will likely be worse.

The offense still needs a bunch of additions that won’t come from the draft. 

They aren’t going to have 3 rookie WRs and 4 rookie OL on the 53. They only have 2 TEs. They need some money to spread around those spots. 

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Are the available veterans going to be better on April 31st?

They will likely be worse.

I'll say yes because April 31st doesn't exist

Kidding aside, Josh Sitton is a fine signing once upon a time (signed in late September).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'll say yes because April 31st doesn't exist

Kidding aside, Josh Sitton is a fine signing once upon a time (signed in late September).

That is the exception not the rule. Banking on something like that is an enormous risk.

We just have a crazy amount of holes still. More than draft picks and UDFAs can fill.

QB: Fields, Siemien

RB: Montgomery, Herbert, Evans, FB Guy

WR: Mooney, Pringle, ______, ESB_____, Newsome

TE: Kmet, Horsted, _____

LT: Jenkins

LG: Whitehair, __________

😄 Patrick, Mustipher 

RG: ______, ______

RT: Borom, __________

I think a minimum of 7 additions are coming that make the 53.

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think we have much need to roll money forward...current projection is $117 million in cap space.

Are you saying it wouldn’t be better to have more cap space? Because I would always disagree with that.

And it’s not just about ‘23 cap spaced it’s also about rolling into 2024 as well

But again, what does one year of Ogun get us? If fully healthy, and was planned on being a rock of the defense for 3-4 years then sure. But now the situation has changed 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Are you saying it wouldn’t be better to have more cap space? Because I would always disagree with that.

And it’s not just about ‘23 cap spaced it’s also about rolling into 2024 as well

But again, what does one year of Ogun get us? If fully healthy, and was planned on being a rock of the defense for 3-4 years then sure. But now the situation has changed 

You can always have more cap space but rolling it over shouldn't be something that holds you back from signing talent when you are going to have a ton of space the following year...

A year of Ogunjobi allows you to see him with your team in your scheme with your staff and other players and fully assess him...it then gives you inside track in signing him to a longer team deal if we want too...this is the strategy Poles is using with most of his pickups and it is the smart way to do it.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would give up 39 our 2nd next year and pay him 5/100 tomorrow.

I wouldn't give up big draft capital for a WR, especially one you have to pay.

The deal to make was for Cooper IMO since it only cost a 5th.

The volume of good college WRs seems to be increasing since it is becoming position of choice for best athletes.  

• Like 1