2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

6 minutes ago, BearsDen1-99 said:

Looks like the Bears are going to sign the Colts DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

https://sports.yahoo.com/twitter-reacts-bears-signing-al-201753312.html

I wonder if this move now makes Quinn expendable. Think we still need the depth but wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get some draft value and cap back for Quinn

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I wonder if this move now makes Quinn expendable. Think we still need the depth but wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get some draft value and cap back for Quinn

I hope we keep Quinn...as much as we are clearly rebuilding you still need some quality players to help these young guys be competitive...Quinn plays a primer position and should be retained at least until the trade deadline if we are terrible (which I still believe we won't be) I expect Muhammad to rotate in as the #3 behind Quinn & Gipson.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Really hard to see the vision right now on offense.

They clearly see Mooney as a potential #1, both in their words and actions. Pringle is an established 3 with 2 upside in an expanded role. A draft pick will likely follow and be expected to fill a WR2/3 role. OL rebuild has started and will continue.

Which part are you not seeing? Or are you just not happy with it? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They clearly see Mooney as a potential #1, both in their words and actions. Pringle is an established 3 with 2 upside in an expanded role. A draft pick will likely follow and be expected to fill a WR2/3 role. OL rebuild has started and will continue.

Which part are you not seeing? Or are you just not happy with it? 

Let's be generous and say they've replaced the players that left. This offense that was among the league's worst. Where is the improvement going to come from?

15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Let's be generous and say they've replaced the players that left. This offense that was among the league's worst. Where is the improvement going to come from?

Hopefully at least competent coaching and playcalling?

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If you guys are truly concerned about the progression of Fields (which I think is majorly over blown here) the guy who you should all want is the guy ARob just took the spot of, Robert Woods

He is probably getting cut in a few days, despite the agent/front office puppetry of Schefter. Hard to see anyone giving up anything for him off the ACL and then pay him 8 figures ontop of that. 

He would be the perfect #2, for both Fields and Mooney. But it seems like a long shot he’d come to Chicago 

That occurred to me, too. And I really like Woods. We'll see if Poles envisions a draft pick as the #2, though...

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I didn't say he was bad. I said he was ineffective which he was. If he has just as ineffective of a year as he did last year, this team will be total garbage and then Poles has a decision to make

Well, that's an oversimplification of Field's season, for sure, but it doesn't matter. I mean...if he has an identical season to last year, yeah, he's as good as gone.

I think the odds of that happening are rather slim.

8 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Usually you want to build around your second year QB but I'm not certain that's what Poles is going to do. 

What do you think he's trying to do? 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Guys St. Brown isn't good. He is a big depth piece that will likely have a very limited offensive role.

His role will be limited, yes. But he may flash better given more opportunity. And replacing someone like Byrd with St. Brown isn't a huge deal. No pearl clutching required over that one. 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think we still have to try and sign someone like JuJu who can come in and play in the top 3.

This draft is deep at WR. There's a good chance they're thinking a rookie will be in the mix there. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

More of a transition signing.  Don't think he's much of a boom or bust FA signing.  He's your starting [insert IOL position here], but you're going to be looking to draft and develop someone to replace him.

I see where you're coming from, but our starting center last year wouldn't even be the backup on most teams...

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

That's a huge gamble.

It's worse than that. It's epic stupidity. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Really hard to see the vision right now on offense.

It is? Replace a putrid center with a better one, from the Packers, no less. Allow Daniels to walk because Poles is convinced he can find a player that gives a more consistent effort. Replace a shaken and underperforming Robinson with Pringle (who is a VERY good WR, by the way)--who can be a solid #3, or stopgap #2. If you don't think Pringle will bring more to the offense than Robinson did last year...I don't know what to tell you. Then, St. Brown could have more upside than a Goodwin, or a Byrd.  And he won't be any worse--so why not check him out? 

I don't find any of this confusing, or questionable, at all. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Fields should certainly be better, and maybe a lot better which on its own would make a gigantic difference. If we’re talking 2021 to 2022 Bears, Pringle was more productive in 2021 than Allen Robinson was, on less targets, and will now see an expanded role while still not facing the opponent’s #1 corner. Not saying he’ll be better than 2018-20 Robinson, but better than last year’s version? Not a stretch at all.  Expecting Mooney and Kmet to have at least some growth going from year 2 to 3 isn’t at all unrealistic. Patrick is a clear upgrade over Mustipher. Goodwin/Byrd/Grant had 55/782/4 combined last year as our WR3/4, including a handful of games with WR2 reps with Robinson out injured. A R2 rookie may approach that by themselves.

Oh, and the whole getting rid of the HC/play caller who had no idea what he was doing thing.

• Like 1

People probably need to get it out of their head that this year we would see and improvement. Clearly that is not the plan. Poles is gutting bad contracts and is going to build through the draft and probably spend more resources next season when we are in a better position. We won't see an improvement this year. The improvement will probably be seen more in years 2 and 3.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fields should certainly be better, and maybe a lot better which on its own would make a gigantic difference. If we’re talking 2021 to 2022 Bears, Pringle was more productive in 2021 than Allen Robinson was, on less targets, and will now see an expanded role while still not facing the opponent’s #1 corner. Not saying he’ll be better than 2018-20 Robinson, but better than last year’s version? Not a stretch at all.  Expecting Mooney and Kmet to have at least some growth going from year 2 to 3 isn’t at all unrealistic. Patrick is a clear upgrade over Mustipher. Goodwin/Byrd/Grant had 55/782/4 combined last year as our WR3/4, including a handful of games with WR2 reps with Robinson out injured. A R2 rookie may approach that by themselves.

Oh, and the whole getting rid of the HC/play caller who had no idea what he was doing thing.

73121206.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

People probably need to get it out of their head that this year we would see and improvement. Clearly that is not the plan. Poles is gutting bad contracts and is going to build through the draft and probably spend more resources next season when we are in a better position. We won't see an improvement this year. The improvement will probably be seen more in years 2 and 3.

No Nagy. A better offensive line. A better group of receivers. 

There will be improvement, beyond a doubt. Unless Fields is a bust--and I'd be willing to bet money that isn't the case. 

• Like 1