2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

The Bengals are a really interesting case study for what we are trying to do after last season and we are a year behind them…last offseason they made one big splash signing in Trey Hendrickson but then had plenty of under the radar signings…they backed themselves that with the development of Burrows he would elevate the rest of the talent around him…now I doubt we are going to go to a Superbowl this season…but if Fields starts to play up to his talent level suddenly things are far easier for Monty & Mooney and you have your triplets on offence and more importantly you have a QB who players want to come and play with just like the Bengals have been able to find 3 new quality starting offensive linemen quickly…with us being in the NFC where the competition is clearly much weaker just now and with a huge amount of cap space if Fields can take the next step we would surely be a real go to team for players and agents alike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The Bengals are a really interesting case study for what we are trying to do after last season and we are a year behind them…last offseason they made one big splash signing in Trey Hendrickson but then had plenty of under the radar signings…they backed themselves that with the development of Burrows he would elevate the rest of the talent around him…now I doubt we are going to go to a Superbowl this season…but if Fields starts to play up to his talent level suddenly things are far easier for Monty & Mooney and you have your triplets on offence and more importantly you have a QB who players want to come and play with just like the Bengals have been able to find 3 new quality starting offensive linemen quickly…with us being in the NFC where the competition is clearly much weaker just now and with a huge amount of cap space if Fields can take the next step we would surely be a real go to team for players and agents alike.

They had way more talent on offense than the Bears.

Burrow was more proven than Fields. Higgins was at Mooney’s level. Boyd had multiple 1000 yard seasons. Mixon had multiple 1000 yard seasons. To that core they added one of the greatest rookie WRs in NFL history.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

So what’s our standings with potential future compensatory picks 

There won't be any this year. 

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This one is starting to look like a real long shot for us.

We shouldn't want him anyway. 

Just now, abstract_thought said:

They had way more talent on offense than the Bears.

Burrow was more proven than Fields. Higgins was at Mooney’s level. Boyd had multiple 1000 yard seasons. Mixon had multiple 1000 yard seasons. To that core they added one of the greatest rookie WRs in NFL history.

Do they though or did they have a better offence? Mooney had a 1000 yard season with inconsistent QB play and Nagy/Lazor's offence...Monty run behind a terrible OL with loaded boxes because no defence respected Dalton's arm or the fact Fields was a rookie in such a bad offence...

My point is we really don't know what we have...Fields is 23 years old...Monty & Mooney are 24 years old...these guys have only ever played in bad offences...the "Shanahan/McVay/LaFleur" offence that Taylor came from and now that Getsy will run can help these guys play up to the talent level which is what we say out of those Bengal players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Do they though or did they have a better offence? Mooney had a 1000 yard season with inconsistent QB play and Nagy/Lazor's offence...Monty run behind a terrible OL with loaded boxes because no defence respected Dalton's arm or the fact Fields was a rookie in such a bad offence...

My point is we really don't know what we have...Fields is 23 years old...Monty & Mooney are 24 years old...these guys have only ever played in bad offences...the "Shanahan/McVay/LaFleur" offence that Taylor came from and now that Getsy will run can help these guys play up to the talent level which is what we say out of those Bengal players.

They did have a better offense because they had much better players. You keep overrating the Bears. They have next to no talent offensively. Mooney is good and Montgomery is solid. Everyone else is either an unknown, average or well below average

• Like 1

What should happen next.

S Tyrann Mathieu. Give him a three year deal. Make the big payout next season. Stop the insanity.

OT Eric Fisher. Shouldn't cost too much. Bring him onboard ostensibly as the swing tackle--see what happens.

CB Patrick Peterson. If this ends up costing a bit more than it reasonably should...so be it. Nickelback might still end up a mess, but you can't have everything. 

P Bryan Anger. It's ridiculous that one of the best punters in the league is out there--but he is. Sign this bastard up already!

Obviously, I didn't bother to do the deep dive and crunch the numbers in an exacting way...but it all looks like it could add up. Particularly given the amount of cap space next year. These four moves will make me a happy camper. 

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

They did have a better offense because they had much better players. You keep overrating the Bears. They have next to no talent offensively. Mooney is good and Montgomery is solid. Everyone else is either an unknown, average or well below average

This false Monty is only solid narrative will be gone by the half way stage of the season in this offence...

My point is we have not seen anyone on this roster in a scheme that is designed to make football easier...that's what this scheme does and I suspect our players will look far better for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This false Monty is only solid narrative will be gone by the half way stage of the season in this offence...

My point is we have not seen anyone on this roster in a scheme that is designed to make football easier...that's what this scheme does and I suspect our players will look far better for it.

Yeah because Herbert will be getting more carries by week 12. This scheme suits him better

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah because Herbert will be getting more carries by week 12. This scheme suits him better

The scheme fits both very well...Herbert has more speed but Monty will run through arm tackles from defenders who over pursue on cut backs...Monty is still the better back.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It just sucks that Fields has to spend a year getting beat up before we invest like the Bengals.