2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We already missed the boat at WR. That market is decimated and we have 2 serious WR under contract.

I wouldn’t say it’s decimated. Still out there who can be expected to fill a top 3 role for 2022: Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, MVS, Will Fuller, TY Hilton, Cole Beasley, Emmanuel Sanders, AJ Green. Some maybes include OBJ (here because of the injury), Tre’Quan Smith, Sammy Watkins, Desean Jackson, Demarcus Robinson. Few stars, but definitely guys who can fill roles for a year. Same goes for the OL.

I promise you - Poles will add more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Right. But then I just saw Kirk get a ridiculous amount and thought he was going to set the market. Watson gets $230 mil guaranteed after abyear away from football and his off-field issue, Kirk isn't a top 20 receiver and got paid top 10 AAV but a top 5 talent at LT can't get top 10 money in that same year of FA? The constant injuries concern me but still, i was sure someone was going for broke with him.

Can't figure this NFL thing out. Lol

I think the availability knock on Armstead keeps the contract to this level...all thing equal and based on talent alone he is worth way more but teams understand that no matter how talented you are if you can't stay on the field your not going to be a whole lot of use...I think this feels like a fair deal all round...Armstead locks in good guaranteed money...Miami don't place themselves in a bind if he goes down again.

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He never can though. He has literally never played a season without missing time in 9 years. That to me was always the only concern with potentially signing him. When you get him he’s elite, but how much are you getting him? I wouldn’t have hated the signing at all had we landed him, but I certainly would have had trepidation about it. 

He missed 2 games in 2020 due to COVID ineligibility. He missed 1 game in 2019.

He would have been a perfect fit on a team with 2 young OTs backing him up.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wouldn’t say it’s decimated. Still out there who can be expected to fill a top 3 role for 2022: Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, MVS, Will Fuller, TY Hilton, Cole Beasley, Emmanuel Sanders, AJ Green. Some maybes include OBJ (here because of the injury), Tre’Quan Smith, Sammy Watkins, Desean Jackson, Demarcus Robinson. Few stars, but definitely guys who can fill roles for a year. Same goes for the OL.

I promise you - Poles will add more. 

Based on Poles free agency approach I simply cannot see him signing any of the old and injured players listed.

MVS and maybe Tre’quan Smith seem like the only real possibilities and again they aren’t super impressive.

The WR market wasn’t super strong to start and has been pretty battered.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Just because Pace spent stupidly doesn’t mean Poles shouldn’t spend at all.

We need to be in the middle ground. This team isn’t talented enough and we don’t have the draft picks to sit out free agency to this degree.

Hoge and Jahns just did a whole podcast on this point. 

My pet theory is media reads us without attribution because they always seem to follow points made here a few weeks to a month later.  

• Like 1

If we win a decent amount of games with a large number of starters and key rotational depth that other teams let go and/or had little to no market interest in I will be very impressed with coaches.

But I don’t see it happening if that is 2022 plan.  Even Belichick needs talent.

We don’t have enough force multipliers to make up for this many average or below average players.  Again, as it stands.

Bears need to do a lot more before September comes.  Still waiting to see something other than a modest upgrade at C.

Yes, Mack, Hicks, Robinson, Daniels and Nichols did not perform by their highest level of play achieved, but those are all legit NFL starters at worst and very good  to great at best.  Losing them is not nothing.

I don’t disagree with letting them go, but talent has to be added as well.  

Ifedi and Peters are gone too and have not been replaced.  

A lot of bodies are still needed.  They did a lot of cleaning really fast.  

It certainly is interesting.  A flurry of moves has to happen at some point in process.  Hopefully most of it before offseason vet camp.

I am not sure there is going to be the public and media patience for a really bad season that they may think there is going to be.  I think there will be if offense is pretty good.  But that is more a total team effort to achieve than people realize.  

McCasky too gets weird if team is terrible, he lacks patience for it and doesn’t like criticism.  He can start to ruin a too long term plan with immediate pressure. 

I think a real good draft is 2 plus players and a third starter.  That is really hard to do.  It seems at moment Poles is banking on that even without a first round pick.  That seems arrogant.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Hoge and Jahns just did a whole podcast on this point. 

My pet theory is media reads us without attribution because they always seem to follow points made here a few weeks to a month later.  

I am convinced of that too.  Iirc brad Biggs or someone cited this site in an article many years ago.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If we win a decent amount of games with a large number of starters and key rotational depth that other teams let go and/or had little to no market interest in I will be very impressed with coaches.

But I don’t see it happening if that is 2022 plan.  Even Belichick needs talent.

We don’t have enough force multipliers to make up for this many average or below average players.  Again, as it stands.

Bears need to do a lot more before September comes.  Still waiting to see something other than a modest upgrade at C.

Yes, Mack, Hicks, Robinson, Daniels and Nichols did not perform by their highest level of play achieved, but those are all legit NFL starters at worst and very good  to great at best.  Losing them is not nothing.

I don’t disagree with letting them go, but talent has to be added as well.  

Ifedi and Peters are gone too and have not been replaced.  

A lot of bodies are still needed.  They did a lot of cleaning really fast.  

It certainly is interesting.  A flurry of moves has to happen at some point in process.  Hopefully most of it before offseason vet camp.

I am not sure there is going to be the public and media patience for a really bad season that they may think there is going to be.  I think there will be if offense is pretty good.  But that is more a total team effort to achieve than people realize.  

McCasky too gets weird if team is terrible, he lacks patience for it and doesn’t like criticism.  He can start to ruin a too long term plan with immediate pressure. 

I think a real good draft is 2 plus players and a third starter.  That is really hard to do.  It seems at moment Poles is banking on that even without a first round pick.  That seems arrogant.  

I think most fans are approaching this thinking how are we going to win games this year. I think it is obvious that they are not trying to win this year. At all. I think this is a complete teardown like Theo Epstein did with the Cubs. I think he wants to just get through this season and add some parts but will use the 2023 draft capital and cap space to really hit things hard. I know we have to protect Fields and he needs weapons. But it is becoming more apparent that we are going to be worse in order to get better instead of holding serve at being mediocre.

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Nobody stresses a defense in the whole league like this guy.  Nobody.   They are crazy to let him go.

Mahomes is the man, but that offense runs on Hill and his threat.

Taking Hill off that offense is far worse for KC than Adams leaving GB IMO.

If Hill leaves KC is no longer a SB favorite, he means that much.  Again IMO.

If I was Mahomes I would be throwing a fit.