2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just realzied that Andrew Norwell is a free agent this year at guard. I don't know how I missed him before...we should throw a ton of money at that dude.  He would be my prime free agent target on the offensive line. That would allow us to bypass nelson in the draft and work on another position. 

Its funny. I watch Carolina games a ton and I never did think he was an all pro type player. There's a lot of chatter with Trai Turner but never about Norwell.

59 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Its funny. I watch Carolina games a ton and I never did think he was an all pro type player. There's a lot of chatter with Trai Turner but never about Norwell.

I don't need all-pro out of him. I need 'not Tomlinson or Fusco' out of him. Can he be that?

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't need all-pro out of him. I need 'not Tomlinson or Fusco' out of him. Can he be that?

In fairness, Fusco has been okay. Up and down all year - some really good and some really bad games. I actually want us to re-sign him, but mainly as that third guard to be there in case Garnett completely craps the bed. 

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hey, we have something to watch between now and March. Not so long a wait to Free Agency in March with the Winter Olympics around the bend! Hey, I am serious. I absolutely love the Olympics and especially Winter! Yep, gots to watch me some bobsledding, snowboarding, skiing, speed skating, perhaps figure skating, hockey (perhaps the only time this is relevant to me!) and yes, even curling! No kidding. It fascinates me.

What do you mean, even curling?! Especially curling. Brad Gushue for the gold, baby! Yeah.. a guy on a forum who knows actual curlers... only in Canada, eh.

Bobsled is fun, but how about skeleton? That's insane. And hockey is probably going to be the most boring it has been in 24 years.

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

What do you mean, even curling?! Especially curling. Brad Gushue for the gold, baby! Yeah.. a guy on a forum who knows actual curlers... only in Canada, eh.

Bobsled is fun, but how about skeleton? That's insane. And hockey is probably going to be the most boring it has been in 24 years.

Would you rather the NHL still be involved? I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would you rather the NHL still be involved? I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

Of course. The best athletes in their sport in the world. We're literally going to see scrubs playing. The team that will win the gold medal couldn't even rival the worst team in the NHL. Personally, I would send the team of junior players who are playing tonight for the gold medal at the world junior hockey championship (yeah, I guess you americans have no idea it's going on... it's kind of a holiday tradition here in Canada), and I feel that team of 18-19 year olds could seriously contend for the gold medal. That's just how bad the olympic tourney will be. All teams are equally affected by the absence of their best players, which could level the playing field and make it more competitive, but seriously, there's no sex appeal. I remember the 98 games, because there was Wayne Gretzky playing (and we managed to lose). 2002 was epic, because Mario Lemieux had unretired and was magnificent. 2010 was amazing, an overtime win, very exciting, a lot of star power. But the guys who will be playing in these olympics... they're mostly bad. And they're not amateur athletes, which was one criticism of having NHL players in the olympics. People said they shouldn't be allowed, because they're pro athletes, and olympians are supposed to be "amateur" athletes. That's why in most sports, once you sign a "pro" deal, you become ineligible for the olympics. But the scrubs that are going to play are no more amateurs than the NHL players are. They're just much worse at playing hockey. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I just realzied that Andrew Norwell is a free agent this year at guard. I don't know how I missed him before...we should throw a ton of money at that dude.  He would be my prime free agent target on the offensive line. That would allow us to bypass nelson in the draft and work on another position. 

Norwell sounds nice, but he probably won't be available. The Panthers are about middle of the road as far as projected cap space for 2018 is concerned, but he still might be franchised. Can't believe he wasn't drafted. 

Imagine going all in on offensive line in 2018. Magically be able to sign Norwell to a mega deal, and manage to draft both Nelson and Price. The interior would be a stone wall. 

On 1/5/2018 at 12:18 PM, Forge said:

Hell yeah I'm game with this, I rarely watched him but most carolina people want him to stay so lets nab him. 

Also anyone think the rams Cap situation might keep them from signing Trumaine Johnson? they've got a heavy payroll and still have Donald and Goff to sign longterm.  They'll cut Tavon Austin (who I pray we stay away from), 

14 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Norwell sounds nice, but he probably won't be available. The Panthers are about middle of the road as far as projected cap space for 2018 is concerned, but he still might be franchised. Can't believe he wasn't drafted. 

Imagine going all in on offensive line in 2018. Magically be able to sign Norwell to a mega deal, and manage to draft both Nelson and Price. The interior would be a stone wall. 

No way is he franchised as a guard in my opinion. They don't differentiate offensive line positions,so the tag amount would be left tackle money for a guard. Likely over 14 million. I can't remember the last time a guard or center was tagged because of this.

37 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

A nice one year prove it deal I hope we do is with Tyler Eifert your thoughts ?

Really have no interest in eifert. If you can't stay on the field, I don't care much to have you.. its a false improvement. It looks good on paper but thats about it

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really have no interest in eifert. If you can't stay on the field, I don't care much to have you.. its a false improvement. It looks good on paper but thats about it

Yea, not big on signing Eifert either. Not really big on paying for a position that you could easily upgrade or improve depth on the cheap through the draft. This is a very good TE class. Really like Mark Andrews but he probably goes late first, early second. I'd take a guy like Fumagali from Wisconsin on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft and would be very content with the talent at that position. I see guys Kittle and Hikutini as more of a 'move' TE. Fumagali could be your red-zone/jump ball kind of TE. Kid has excellent hands and is a sound blocker. Eifert just doesn't seem worth the price tag for his skill-set and what he brings to the team.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

No way is he franchised as a guard in my opinion. They don't differentiate offensive line positions,so the tag amount would be left tackle money for a guard. Likely over 14 million. I can't remember the last time a guard or center was tagged because of this.

Decided to look it up. The last time a guard was tagged was Logan Mankins in 2011. The Browns used a transition tag on Alex Mack one year. Before that, Stacy Andrews was tagged as a guard by the Bengals in 2009. The Seahawks used the Transition tag on Hutchinson in 2006. 

Though I just looked it up - Guard salaries are higher than I thought. There are quite a few that have average year salaries of 10m or more, with Zeitler the cap at 12. Perhaps the Panthers wouldn't think it too crazy to pay him 14 million for one year on the tag. 

Archived