2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

He doesnt need to be very good for him to be a solid offseason signing. Give me kinda good and i'll take it. 

Oh, I"m assuming he gets paid big, even after this debacle, which is why I want to avoid him. I mean, if it's a reasonable deal, then I'm for it. If we are paying him 14 million / yr? I'll pass. 

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

If I’m betting on a FA CB it’d be Fuller. Amerson was just cut by the Raiders today, I wouldn’t mind taking a shot on him either in a buy low type situation. Amerson fits the mold of what we want in our CBs. If I’m being realistic, the FA CB I see our FO going after if they do make a splash is Trumaine Johnson. Johnson has the size we cover and has played some good ball.

I like the thought of Trumaine Johnson as well or even Fuller. I don't mind the notion of Butler because he will be hungry, I just don't want to over pay. I think if we have a consistent pass rush then our db performance will improve as well.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, I"m assuming he gets paid big, even after this debacle, which is why I want to avoid him. I mean, if it's a reasonable deal, then I'm for it. If we are paying him 14 million / yr? I'll pass. 

I too will pass on 14m/yr lol

3 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

If I’m betting on a FA CB it’d be Fuller. Amerson was just cut by the Raiders today, I wouldn’t mind taking a shot on him either in a buy low type situation. Amerson fits the mold of what we want in our CBs. If I’m being realistic, the FA CB I see our FO going after if they do make a splash is Trumaine Johnson. Johnson has the size we cover and has played some good ball.

And, as I mentioned a few days ago, we get a double benefit with him as we take him away from a division rival.

I think CB is one position where a rookie can contribute right away if he's good enough. Lattimore anyone? I'd really rather we focus our off season spending on getting better protection for Jimmy, and better run production of course. And after protecting our QB then try to find someone that can get after the other team's QB.  I'm perfectly fine taking a CB high in the draft and a second one a bit lower. Not opposed to a FA CB, ti's just the the really good ones are also really expensive.

44 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I think CB is one position where a rookie can contribute right away if he's good enough. Lattimore anyone? I'd really rather we focus our off season spending on getting better protection for Jimmy, and better run production of course. And after protecting our QB then try to find someone that can get after the other team's QB.  I'm perfectly fine taking a CB high in the draft and a second one a bit lower. Not opposed to a FA CB, ti's just the the really good ones are also really expensive.

Historically, it's been one of the hardest positions to transition to in the NFL from college. Lattimore was only the fourth corner or safety to win since 1990. Seems to be getting better though. Peters, white, lattimore, trufant, Rhodes and several others have been at least solid starters if not studs starting their first year

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Historically, it's been one of the hardest positions to transition to in the NFL from college. Lattimore was only the fourth corner or safety to win since 1990. Seems to be getting better though. Peters, white, lattimore, trufant, Rhodes and several others have been at least solid starters if not studs starting their first year

how DARE you forget Akhello. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Sort of meh for me. Hopefully we aren't counting on him to start and it's just a depth signing. I do like that he can kind of play at different spots, he's just not good enough to really start at any of them

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sort of meh for me. Hopefully we aren't counting on him to start and it's just a depth signing. I do like that he can kind of play at different spots, he's just not good enough to really start at any of them

Yea I look at him as a good depth. I did think he flashed some. More than likely he back-ups both Sam and Leo.

30 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think Marsh is more reliable than Aaron Lynch. Something is up with that guy. I don't see us attempting to resign him... 

No, Lynch is definitely gone. He was a healthy scratch in a lot of the games down the stretch. Safe to assume that the staff isn't a huge fan of him. 

I'd expect Hyde, Reid, Lynch all gone. Johnson should be gone as well, and I'd be surprised if Gilliam is back. I don't think that Tank will be back either - he will have better opportunities at other places, and I think it may even make more sense for  us to roll with Blair, who honestly has flashed just as much as Tank when on the field. I'm not sure about Fusco - I think he was our best interior player last year, but with Tomlinson still under contract (as well as Beadles, though why he wouldn't be cut, I have no idea...I'd rather have the three million), Garnett coming back, and the possibility of drafting / signing someone in free agency, we may not see a need. Tomlinson is fine as the back up, I suppose. Kilgore I definitely expect re-signed...he's well loved, even if he's really bad at his job. Mostert is an ERFA, I believe, so he'll definitely be back if for nothing more than what he provides on special teams. Croyle is probably a lock to be back as well. The fodder pieces like Asa Jackson, Leon Hall, Logan Paulsen, Exum, Louis Murphy I would all expect to be gone and then potentially resigned throughout the season if we have injury issues. Unfortunately, depsite liking what I saw from him on the field, I can't imagine Douzable will be back either. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, Lynch is definitely gone. He was a healthy scratch in a lot of the games down the stretch. Safe to assume that the staff isn't a huge fan of him. 

I'd expect Hyde, Reid, Lynch all gone. Johnson should be gone as well, and I'd be surprised if Gilliam is back. I don't think that Tank will be back either - he will have better opportunities at other places, and I think it may even make more sense for  us to roll with Blair, who honestly has flashed just as much as Tank when on the field. I'm not sure about Fusco - I think he was our best interior player last year, but with Tomlinson still under contract (as well as Beadles, though why he wouldn't be cut, I have no idea...I'd rather have the three million), Garnett coming back, and the possibility of drafting / signing someone in free agency, we may not see a need. Tomlinson is fine as the back up, I suppose. Kilgore I definitely expect re-signed...he's well loved, even if he's really bad at his job. Mostert is an ERFA, I believe, so he'll definitely be back if for nothing more than what he provides on special teams. Croyle is probably a lock to be back as well. The fodder pieces like Asa Jackson, Leon Hall, Logan Paulsen, Exum, Louis Murphy I would all expect to be gone and then potentially resigned throughout the season if we have injury issues. Unfortunately, depsite liking what I saw from him on the field, I can't imagine Douzable will be back either. 

I actually think most of those fodder guys at the end with the possible exception of Hall will be back. Vet minimum deals with nothing guaranteed would almost certainly be enough for all of them for roster battles with low-round undrafted rookies or just camp fodder. 

They might not all make it as far as training camp, and I doubt any make the team, but those are all guys of this regime. So I can see them signed as temporary players on the 90-man squad until more players are added throughout the offseason. With no bonuses, cutting them would be entirely inconsequential, so it makes some sense. I mean, you obviously don't want to end up in a situation where you get stuck with worse than that group. 

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I actually think most of those fodder guys at the end with the possible exception of Hall will be back. Vet minimum deals with nothing guaranteed would almost certainly be enough for all of them for roster battles with low-round undrafted rookies or just camp fodder. 

They might not all make it as far as training camp, and I doubt any make the team, but those are all guys of this regime. So I can see them signed as temporary players on the 90-man squad until more players are added throughout the offseason. With no bonuses, cutting them would be entirely inconsequential, so it makes some sense. I mean, you obviously don't want to end up in a situation where you get stuck with worse than that group. 

That's a good point. I wasn't really thinking of it that way. Several of them likely will be in that regard. 

Archived