Week 16 GDT - Tennessee Titans vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

It felt good to finally get a win without having to stress at the end of the game. It was a fairly clean game minus the opening kickoff fumble. The defense made great stops in the RZ and the offense was moving the ball at will. Now on to Tennessee where it won't be as easy.

The Titans may not have a great defense, but they have talent at the DL that the Falcons simply did not have. We have a big weakness on the right side and this is another game where Jimmy will be under duress. I am hoping that Mitchell will be back as we will need some explosive runs but Wilson should be able to do a decent job regardless. Wilson looked much better this game and he mentioned that during the week that he was starting to feel healthy. Deebo started to get involved in the passing game again which was good to see but it still was not the type of game he had to start the season. Either he or Aiyuk will need to play big on Thursday. Kittle is Kittle but I expect him to get more attention and Jimmy will need to go elsewhere with the ball. It's going to be a fairly tough game for Jimmy at times with the Titans pass rush getting home so he will need to stay composed and cannot panic and throw a game changing INT.

Defensively, we should be fine. AJ Brown will be returning which will help the Titans passing game but they just lost Julio to a hammy injury yesterday. Foreman has been running the ball well as of late so the run defense will need to be on point once again....Something they have been for weeks now. I thought Ambry Thomas had one terrible rep vs Pitts but overall had good coverage for majority of the game...But clearly he is not ready yet and I think Johnson will be getting the start this week. Not that he is all that much better but he does have the experience that Thomas is lacking. If Azeez can return this week, that would be huge as well. Bosa and the DL should be doing what they have been doing the last few weeks and have another strong game.

A short week across the country trip is going to be hard for any team but I think we are getting healthy at the right time and are peaking right now and should be able to pull it off in a tight one.

SF 24

TEN 20

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Is bosa vaccinated? Joey just got put on covid list and has already been ruled out for next week, which tells me he's not vaccinated. 

Yes, according to Barrows, Nick got vaccinated during training camp.

We only have one player who is not vaccinated at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Torn between playing on the road and the difficulty of a cross country trip on a short week. 

Tennessee's offense also just looks bad

Tennessee, in general, has been getting worse as the season goes. 

Not counting the results from week 15, here's how the Niners and Titans have trended this season:

Offense DVOA:

Titans - weeks 1-9: 18th / weeks 10-14: 26th

49ers - weeks 1-9: 8th / weeks 10-14: 7th

Defense DVOA:

Titans - weeks 1-9: 9th / weeks 10-14: 28th

49ers - weeks 1-9: 17th / weeks 10-14: 6th

We're getting hot at the right time and the Titans are limping into the final stretch of the season. With that said, their pass rush can cause issues and they've been pretty good at getting their hands on passes so Jimmy is going to have to be accurate to prevent multiple INTs. If we get week 15 Jimmy, we win by 2 or 3 scores. If we get early season Jimmy, it will come down to the final seconds of the game. 

Edited by NinerNation21
I can't read numbers
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Not counting the results from week 15, here's how the Niners and Titans have trended this season:

Offense DVOA:

Defense DVOA:

49ers - weeks 1-9: 9th / weeks 10-14: 28th

We're getting hot at the right time and the Titans are limping into the final stretch of the season. With that said, their pass rush can cause issues and they've been pretty good at getting their hands on passes so Jimmy is going to have to be accurate to prevent multiple INTs. If we get week 15 Jimmy, we win by 2 or 3 scores. If we get early season Jimmy, it will come down to the final seconds of the game. 

Wait, our defense is ranked 28th defensively the last four weeks? That can't be right? 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wait, our defense is ranked 28th defensively the last four weeks? That can't be right? 

yeah I thought we were top ten in def dova?

Anyways, this is a scary game imo. 

Yes their offense stinks but with their defensive line and ball hawk safety in Byrd, Jimmy is gonna have to keep it clean if we want to win.

I think we still grind out a win.

someone mentioned this could be another cincy like game which I agree.

23-14, US. 

31 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yes their offense stinks but with their defensive line and ball hawk safety in Byrd, Jimmy is gonna have to keep it clean if we want to win.

23-14, US. 

I can't believe that is true considering we played the Rams/Jags/Vikings/Seahawks/Bengals during that stretch and our defense has not been great, but far from terrible. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

23-14, US. 

Yeah, this could be a 40 carries type of game. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Offense DVOA:

Defense DVOA:

49ers - weeks 1-9: 9th / weeks 10-14: 28th

We are a much better team than Tennessee right now. Their offense is miserable. 

But travelling cross country on a short week is brutal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I show us as 9th in weighted DVOA, which emphasis the more recent schedule

Which sounds right because the defense certainly performed well against the Rams/Jags while being solid against the rest of the teams. 

Titans defense eye test wise looks better than 28th best as well....Then again, they played the Steelers yesterday so I'm not really sure lol.