Player Who Needs A Super Bowl Most To Make HOF

Ninersfan1984

5 hours ago, Ninersfan1984 said:

He could the problem is he is 33 and has no All Pro/s no Super Bowls nothing except playing for a long time. One Super Bowl at this point is not gonna be enough for Stafford or else are we gonna elect every good QB who wins a Super Bowl?

Again, Im not saying "just one SB".     I think it would take multiple as well to really give him a chance.

What Im saying is, as of right now, he has ZERO chance.  If he won a SB, a SB MVP on top of several great seasons to finish his career, there would at least be some discussion.  He would at least have a CHANCE.

But I agree that it would likely take 2 or 3 SBs and some really great seasons to get him in.

I go a little easier on Stafford since Detroit is like a black hole for NFL careers.   Im not saying it gives him a pass for those years, just that I believe he couldve been alot more with a more stable franchise.

19 hours ago, Apparition said:

Cousins and Eli are like polar opposites. Eli is a guy with mediocre efficiency numbers who raised his game several levels in crunch time. Cousins has great numbers but has been un-clutch for most of his career.

Eli didn't really raise his game. He was pretty blah in the 07 SB run. He was VERY good in the 11 SB run. Other than that, he was oh-fer in the playoffs (when the Giants even made them). 

His HoF candidacy is that he was in the right place at the right time in '07 and that he got hot in '10 in a career that was otherwise extremely average. 

19 hours ago, Apparition said:

definitely not. Those two SB runs he had were among the most dominant ever by a skill player. Without those, he's just Ahman Green. 

That injury really f'ed up things (much like Sterling Sharpe) - people would point to Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson and say "see? it's the system!" when anyone with eyes knew that Davis was FAR better than those two and if Gary ran for 1100 and Anderson ran for 1400, you could EASILY add a few hundred yards to that. 

His career was OJ Simpson but with SB trophies. And less murder (so far). 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

Ryan is just one of those guys that was a taken sack away from the HoF. He won't get in.

Stafford needs a Warner in Arizona type of run for several years. It's a long shot. The next crop following Rogers and Brady will take us to the Mahomes (Luck is out) era. So you are looking at guys (potentially) like Allen and Herbert. There won't be any other tweener generation players like Stafford.

Rogers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Ben, Eli, Rivers = Montana, Marino, Aikman, Young, Farve, Warner. I mean, does McNair ever get in? Probably not. That's where Ryan is. Rivers is a borderline guy, but he probably Fouts his way in there.

Then you got (projected): Wilson, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert. 

It's an incredibly thin crop with Luck's early retirement, but nobody projected Mahomes to be where he is today (he should continue to win AFC Championships for a long time). Guys like Burrow and Murray need to step up. 

Edited by WheatieMan

Even without a ring or MVP I think Stafford gets into the HoF fairly easily. I don't think he deserves too but he will get in. His bulk numbers are going to be so astronomical, I wouldn't be suprised one bit if he retires the all time passing leader.

Edited by StatKing

4 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Stafford needs a Warner in Arizona type of run for several years. It's a long shot. The next crop following Rogers and Brady will take us to the Mahomes (Luck is out) era. So you are looking at guys (potentially) like Allen and Herbert. There won't be any other tweener generation players like Stafford.

Define "several" - I feel like if the Rams are elite for a 3-4 yr stretch, win a SB, make another, and Stafford continues doing what he's doing, any quibbles about his bulk stats in Det will go away, and everyone will feel that he was a great player held back by a crap franchise. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, biggie. said:

Did Stafford revolutionize the game? Was he consistently elite during his career? Does he have a story to tell? How did he do in the postseason?

Stafford has always been a good but not great QB that piled a lot of his stats in garbage time; it's why he has the Stat Padford nickname.

Hall of Fame is more than just compiling pretty numbers and one Super Bowl.

In all fairness to Stafford most of his career was played in garbage time.

8 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

All-Pro for QB is tricky though. Staubach is a top 10 all-timer and he has no All-Pros or MVPs. 

Staubach was on the all decade team for the 70’s, in an era filled with all time teams, and played in 4 SB’s winning 2. That’s quite a bit different from Stafford who I don’t think anybody ever thought he was even being thought of in merely a passing sense for the 2010 All Decade. And he never even won a playoff game. Much less win multiple SB’s. 

4 hours ago, StatKing said:

Even without a ring or MVP I think Stafford gets into the HoF fairly easily. I don't think he deserves too but he will get in. His bulk numbers are going to be so astronomical, I wouldn't be suprised one bit if he retires the all time passing leader.

Stafford is almost 34 and needs close to 35000 yards to catch Brady if Brady never passes for another yard. Stafford averages 275 yards per game for his career which would mean it would take around 127 games. In a 17 game, schedule it would take 7 and a half years. I don't think he will be playing at 41.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, vikingsrule said:

For Cousins, is he vastly different than Eli Manning who most have as a HOF? I know he’s won a couple of Super Bowls, but I feel if Eli can do it and get lucky enough at the right time, Cousins can too. Unfortunately, Cousins plays for a cursed franchise so it won’t happen in MN.

Cousins and Eli are vastly different. Kirk has actually been a good QB for most of his seasons.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Define "several" - I feel like if the Rams are elite for a 3-4 yr stretch, win a SB, make another, and Stafford continues doing what he's doing, any quibbles about his bulk stats in Det will go away, and everyone will feel that he was a great player held back by a crap franchise. 

Everyone thinks that about Archie Manning and he’s not in the Hall either