Player Who Needs A Super Bowl Most To Make HOF

Ninersfan1984

It'll mostly be Quarterbacks but I'll try to think of some non-QB players that might also benefit from it.

QB's

Dak Prescott - I know he's still youngish but I feel like bringing the Cowboys home their first Super Bowl in nearly 30 years would be a huge boost to his eventual HOF chances if he plays well for like 5 more years. I think if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this year we'd start to think of Dak as a potential Hall of Famer going forward.

Matt Ryan - This is probably a pretty obvious one. He has a good overall career. An MVP. A Super Bowl Appearance. A Super Bowl victory would go a long way in putting him from a no to a maybe.

Matt Stafford - Like I said with Dak if the Rams were to win the Super Bowl this year we'd start to look at Stafford as a potential hall of famer going forward. He'd still have to finish his career out strong but it would put him in the running. Right now he's almost definitely a no.

Non-QB's (This will be predicated on the fact that they play well during the postseason to the point where people remember that they played well.)

- Joey Bosa - He's already one of them most consistently good year to year Defensive ends in the league. If he had a hot postseason en route to the Chargers bringing home a Super Bowl to LA that would probably make people think of him as a guy who is likely to be a HOFer by the end of his career.

- Antonio Brown: If AB steps it up when his team needs him most to fill in for Godwin and balls out en route to the Bucs repeating as SB Champs it would be hard to not put him in. It would kinda make forgetting all the stuff he's done the past two years a bit easier. It would improve his legacy tremendously.

- Derrick Henry: People already think Derrick Henry is the most important player to the Titans. So if the he came back in time for the playoffs this year and the Titans went on a Super Bowl run it would be difficult to not think of him as a Hall of Famer going forward.

- Deandre Hopkins: It's already super difficult to get into the HOF as a WR. But Hopkins having a great postseason en route to a Cardinals Super Bowl victory would be a huge boost to his eventual HOF chances so long that he is able to be pro-bowl caliber for a few more years.

Coaches

Mike McCarthy: I know this was a thread for players but I thought he was worth including. Most people right now think of him as a guy who was a good coach 10 years ago and is meh now. If the Cowboys won the Super Bowl people would almost completely forget that he wasn't very good during his last few years in Green Bay. They would instead remember that he won a Super Bowl with two different franchises. Arguably the two most iconic franchises in the NFL at that.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

Phillip Rivers -- like it won't happen and he had a good career and all, but if the Panthers called him up next year and were like please help and he end of career noodle arm Manning'd a SB dumping it off to CMC I think he would make the HOF. I think as is he is fringe enough that inflation in a longer season will lock him out for a long time if not forever.

Starting to feel like Russ kinda needs another also, or an MVP or something along those lines or a high note but not -that- high end like Kurt Warner had in AZ. Mahomes shooting out of a cannon with really young success makes Wilson's feel a little less amazing.

I think those two are the closest to HOF as is but that would push into lock territory.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Coaches

Mike McCarthy: I know this was a thread for players but I thought he was worth including. Most people right now think of him as a guy who was a good coach 10 years ago and is meh now. If the Cowboys won the Super Bowl people would almost completely forget that he wasn't very good during his last few years in Green Bay. They would instead remember that he won a Super Bowl with two different franchises. Arguably the two most iconic franchises in the NFL at that.

It would be a redemption story, in that some (many?) feel that Aaron Rodgers mastered Midwestern passive-aggression and basically was responsible for getting McCarthy run out of town. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, Forge said:

He doesn't have to lose it. Chuck Howley won the award on a losing team, thus there is precedent for a losing player getting it. Do I think it likely? No, but possible. But in a conversation about whether or not winning or losing super bowls impacts their candidacy, I think you can only take away the actual super bowl wins. Taking away his super bowl MVP also completely changes the resume, as you said...but we can't guarantee that he loses that

The game was treated way differently in 1998 than it was in 1971. Since at least the 80’s, a losing player is completely disqualified from winning the MVP. Those who chose the award are asked to pick an MVP for both teams, and the losing team’s player is then disqualified when the game ends.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

The game was treated way differently in 1998 than it was in 1971. Since at least the 80’s, a losing player is completely disqualified from winning the MVP. Those who chose the award are asked to pick an MVP for both teams, and the losing team’s player is then disqualified when the game ends.

I don't see anywhere stating that being on the losing team disqualifies you.  My understanding is that they can leave instructions to give it to the player on the winning team, but are not required to? 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't see anywhere stating that being on the losing team disqualifies you.  My understanding is that they can leave instructions to give it to the player on the winning team, but are not required to? 

They are not *required* to do so, but any time a game is close, they all do exactly that. If a game had an insane come back in the last 5 minutes after the majority of writers had voted, it’s theoretically possible that the losing team could have a player with the MVP, but the writers are all allowed to change their vote when the game finishes so it’s basically an inevitability that it wouldn’t even happen then. 

Howley refused to accept the award, and they have since made sure they they don’t have a MVP presentation where the winner won’t show up for the cameras.

You gotta remove the Super Bowl MVP from Davis if we remove the Super Bowl. But still, it’s a separate question. Would the two Super Bowls have vaulted him into the Hall by itself, or was it the MVP too?

But I think Tony Boselli is a fantastic measuring stick for this question. He keeps getting to the finalist list, but not past that final vote. He might finally get in with this class being relatively weak, but there’s a very strong argument that he would be in already if he had just one more big accolade. One more All Pro, one more Pro Bowl, one Super Bowl, and he’s already in rather than “maybe he can get in in a weak class”

Archie was great, my grandpa told me all the time how bad those paperbag ‘aints teams were and how Manning would always gut it out through injuries, and he still finished top 10 statistically(at the time)despite all that.

Unfortunately that doesnt put you into the HoF, maybe that plus having two HOF sons will? It is Fame based afterall.

12 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

How is Archie Manning not winning on the utterly horrendous Saints teams of the 70's HIS fault?

It's not; also when thinking about players who go in the HoF, often it's very important to remember that what any one person thinks is irrelevant, we need to figure out what the VOTERS think....one could look and say "Manning retired top 10 statistically in most volume categories despite rarely if ever having anything around him" whereas the voters might look and say "never even had a winning season, how great could he be?" 

Anyway, it was less a slam on Manning than pointing out that,  unlike Manning, Stafford gets to "prove" that he IS a championship-caliber QB with the Rams. 

• Like 1