Player Who Needs A Super Bowl Most To Make HOF

Ninersfan1984

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

I know this isn't going to make any sense, but I really can't think of any quarterbacks that are, taking all context out of it, simply a SB win away and that's the difference between no HoF and HoF. At the same time, I do think SB wins are important (though not technically required) for a QB's candidacy. To me, neither Stafford nor Ryan become HoF material simply due to one late career SB win. I've seen too much good/very good play from them, not enough truly GREAT.

I get it...but I'm trying to put my mind into the head of others. I think that there is definitely a segment of the HOF voters who see that super bowl win and it matters. 

Matt Ryan isn't going to win a SB, so his HOF candidacy is based on longevity, stats and the heights he achieved earlier in his career
Matthew Stafford isn't going to win a SB because the chances of him stringing together 3-4 top games vs playoff teams is nearly zero

Ryan has a much better chance than Stafford at HOF selection- but the job of the HOF selectors isn't to put them in -  its to keep them out.
That's what makes the HOF such an honor. And Stafford is just too easy to keep out. If there was a fantasy football HOF... he'd be in

18 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Lol Matt Stafford would still have zero business being a Hall of Famer even with a ring.

By the time his career was done? Absolutely he would. If he retired after the 2024 season (so the rest of this one and 3 more after), he will likely be 5th or 6th all time in passing yards (ahead of Big Ben, Rivers, and Marino as possibilities), 6th all time in TDs, and with a Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I didn't think too hard about more, but does a guy like Terrell Davis get in without the 2? 

TD is a good example, but I guess that hits at a slightly different description. With him, it’s not just that his team did win those two rings, it’s that he was the absolutely dominant force in taking them to the promised land — in-season, but especially in the playoffs where he was absolutely unstoppable for them in consecutive Januarys.

To me, TD is a somewhat different case than what this thread seemed to be getting at, which is a player who needs a ring (however gained) to seal his resume up tight. If Denver had won those SBs and he’d played just okay, he doesn’t have a shot. For him, it was partly the winning, but it was even more about the utter dominance on the way to the throne that put him over the top. In other words, if the question is “who could get into the HOF if they have a couple incredibly dominant postseasons leading their team to rings?” then I think it’s more squarely in TD territory. 

That said, if they don’t win the chip at the end of each of those runs, I’d have to say he probably doesn’t get in. So your point is well-taken and I grant you a successful example tearing a hole in my statement 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

That said, if they don’t win the chip at the end of each of those runs, I’d have to say he probably doesn’t get in. So your point is well-taken and I grant you a successful example tearing a hole in my statement 😂

In defense, I am still trying to think of examples and haven't really, so it's just an outlier. 

49 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

By the time his career was done? Absolutely he would. If he retired after the 2024 season (so the rest of this one and 3 more after), he will likely be 5th or 6th all time in passing yards (ahead of Big Ben, Rivers, and Marino as possibilities), 6th all time in TDs, and with a Super Bowl. 

Did Stafford revolutionize the game? Was he consistently elite during his career? Does he have a story to tell? How did he do in the postseason?

Stafford has always been a good but not great QB that piled a lot of his stats in garbage time; it's why he has the Stat Padford nickname.

Hall of Fame is more than just compiling pretty numbers and one Super Bowl.

Edited by biggie.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think this only matters a ton to QBs. 

Matt Ryan is the most notable. Has an MVP, all pro but I don't know that he's a lock in this era. 

I mostly agree, but I do think if there are borderline players, some great postseason runs can put them over the top.

I think of a guy like Derek Henry. His resumé might be iffy right now because of lack of seasons so far, but I lean yes due to some phenomenal postseason appearances. Gotta remember, the competition is harder at that point, and in his case he was literally THE focal point that defenses had to stop, and they couldn't. I think that goes far in my mind.

Obviously T. Davis is the quintessential HB example.

Without going back and looking, I'm assuming Larry Fitzgerald would probably get in even without playoff runs (although WR is a really tough position to figure out, but he's also very well liked by the media so that would probably do it). BUT, with his postseason performances he is automatically a no-doubter in my mind. Like that cemented it.

So I agree, QBs are for the most part the position it matters most for. But I think it can help on certain select situations elsewhere.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Volume stats don't get you into the HOF, especially in the pass-happy game we see today. So let's say you're in the room with 50 sportswriters debating Stafford
One of the voters mentions that Stafford earned only ( 1) Pro Bowl, (0) All Pro's (0) MVPs and was 0-3 in postseason play.

Everybody is watching and waiting for your response... Whaddya got ? " well, he passed for a lot of yards !"  
Even if he went 4-0 on a SB run ( LOL) , he still doesn't have any of the accolades needed for a strong HOF candidacy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The one I would put in this situation as time would go for them would be like Kirk Cousins if he pulled a rabbit out of his hat. 

Cousins is the new age Tony Romo. He's a good QB though, and if he won a Super Bowl it would eliminate the biggest critique (same as Stafford) of not winning big games

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Did Stafford revolutionize the game? Was he consistently elite during his career? Does he have a story to tell? How did he do in the postseason?

Stafford has always been a good but not great QB that piled a lot of his stats in garbage time; it's why he has the Stat Padford nickname.

Hall of Fame is more than just compiling pretty numbers and one Super Bowl.

It's pretty clear he got the Stat Padford nickname because he played for a horrendously bad organization. He's sitting pretty as top 3 QB this year in his first season away from Detroit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

It's pretty clear he got the Stat Padford nickname because he played for a horrendously bad organization. He's sitting pretty as top 3 QB this year in his first season away from Detroit.

He earned it with his own erratic play early in his career.

It wasn't warranted, but it stuck.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think this only matters a ton to QBs. 

Matt Ryan is the most notable. Has an MVP, all pro but I don't know that he's a lock in this era. 

He still has a few years left in him so I think if he goes somewhere ready to win right now he could make his case pretty airtight. He has everything else.