Player Who Needs A Super Bowl Most To Make HOF

Ninersfan1984

27 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Tbh I think Derrick Henry has a strong case if he can come back and will that Titans team to one.

Honestly, I think he's got a good case either way. He's been the best RB in football for a few years, and his December dominance is stuff of legends...

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Even if he went 4-0 on a SB run ( LOL) , he still doesn't have any of the accolades needed for a strong HOF candidacy.

Sorry, but that is absolutely delusional logic unless Stafford was carried to all of those.

If he was instrumental in the winnung 4 SBs, which he likely would be....he would be first ballot.

Hell, even if Stafford won two SBs and had one SB MVP, he would easily get in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Honestly, I think he's got a good case either way. He's been the best RB in football for a few years, and his December dominance is stuff of legends...

I think he needs a few more seasons.    He only has two truly elite years.    This would have been another had he stayed healthy, but I think he needs a few more elite seasons, and obviously a strong playoff performance en route to a ring wouldnt hurt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

By the time his career was done? Absolutely he would. If he retired after the 2024 season (so the rest of this one and 3 more after), he will likely be 5th or 6th all time in passing yards (ahead of Big Ben, Rivers, and Marino as possibilities), 6th all time in TDs, and with a Super Bowl. 

Bulk stat placements matter less and less because of inflation. The biggest indicators for a QB for going into the HOF are All Pros, Super Bowls, and MVP's. Those are basically what a QB is judged by. And wins but that kinda comes with the territory of those accolades. 

Right now Stafford has exactly 0 All Pros, 0 MVP's, and 0 SB's. He also has a sub .500 win percentage. 1 SB will help a lot, but he's not even borderline right now. He's a solid no. He'd basically be Matt Ryan only sub a Super Bowl for his All Pro and MVP (and Ryan has more Pro Bowls). If Ryan isn't getting in with his stats and an MVP/All Pro, Staford isn't getting in with his stats and a single a SB. 

I think for Stafford to really push his name into serious conversation for HoF, he would need to be a key reason the LAR win a super bowl.  

averaging 300 yards per game, around 3TD and very few INT.  Toss in a key game winning drive or a signature play or 2 in a NFCCG or the super bowl.  

Getting a super bowl with the LAR defense or Kupp being the main feature probably does not enhance his case IMO

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Stafford needs to have an MVP + years of elite play, and/or a dynasty, to get in this discussion. 

One SB and y’all are putting him in? Comedy.

If he had an MVP year and a memorable SB run ending in a ring...and his other seasons were great....he could get in.

I dont think Stafford is getting in, but its not as far fetched as some of you are making it.  A strong finish to a career can do wonders for a legacy.

Matt Ryan is the perfect answer to the question posed in this thread.  Another guy who was in a similar spot before he retired recently was Phillip Rivers.

As far as Kirk Cousins is concerned, he is kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL quarterbacks, in that it doesn't seem to matter what he does, he doesn't get much respect.  I think even with a Super Bowl win, Kirk's chances would go from a "fart in a windstorm" chance to merely "Dumb and Dumber: so you're saying there's a chance!" chance.  He has played very well this year, but it would be pretty tough to get into the HOF when you are a .500 quarterback.  As others have mentioned, Eli is a .500 QB too, but his playoff/Super Bowl performances are the stuff of legend.  Kirk would need similar performances, and I just don't think he has that in him.  It's too bad, because he's a nice guy.

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

If he had an MVP year and a memorable SB run ending in a ring...and his other seasons were great....he could get in.

I dont think Stafford is getting in, but its not as far fetched as some of you are making it.  A strong finish to a career can do wonders for a legacy.

Correct, if Stafford ends his career having what would now be a career year for 5 some odd seasons and went on a Super Bowl tear, he could have a shot. 

Doesn’t quite fit the criteria for the thread, nor is that really what I would define as anything other than far fetched.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

He could the problem is he is 33 and has no All Pro/s no Super Bowls nothing except playing for a long time. One Super Bowl at this point is not gonna be enough for Stafford or else are we gonna elect every good QB who wins a Super Bowl?