Player Who Needs A Super Bowl Most To Make HOF

Ninersfan1984

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

For Cousins, is he vastly different than Eli Manning who most have as a HOF? I know he’s won a couple of Super Bowls, but I feel if Eli can do it and get lucky enough at the right time, Cousins can too. Unfortunately, Cousins plays for a cursed franchise so it won’t happen in MN.

No, if he pulled off the Eli and won two SBs against all odds, he would absolutely be in. I’ve always said that his raw stats belong in the conversation with the elite QBs around the league. If he proves me wrong and shows that he can consistently play winning football in the biggest moments, then he deserves his place among the greats.

I just don’t believe he can. From watching his entire career, my deep belief is that that dude will always break your heart, as long as you keep giving it to him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

No, if he pulled off the Eli and won two SBs against all odds, he would absolutely be in. I’ve always said that his raw stats belong in the conversation with the elite QBs around the league. If he proves me wrong and shows that he can consistently play winning football in the biggest moments, then he deserves his place among the greats.

I just don’t believe he can. From watching his entire career, my deep belief is that that dude will always break your heart, as long as you keep giving it to him. 

Makes him the perfect Viking QB. 

35 minutes ago, e16bball said:

On the thread topic, my personal belief is that QBs and HCs are really the only ones who should be measured to any meaningful extent by their team’s success. So I would eliminate anyone outside of those two positions right away. 

I didn't think too hard about more, but does a guy like Terrell Davis get in without the 2? 

Stafford will likely finish within the top 6 in both passing TDs and passing yards. The other knock on him at the moment is his wins column. A super bowl win, plus the yards and touchdowns and he will have a great chance. He's going to be the QB behind the two receiving yard leaders in NFL history - that's no small feat. He just needs to win the Super Bowl at this point. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I didn't think too hard about more, but does a guy like Terrell Davis get in without the 2? 

If he played like he did and the Broncos lost, I don't see why he wouldn't. 

He had an MVP, a 2K yard rushing season, 2 Offensive player of the year awards, and a super bowl MVP (don't want to take this away as it's certainly possible Denver could lose and he could still win..there is precedent), and holds the post season record for rushing tds in a single post season. 

I don't think that resume is HOF different just because they may have lost the super bowls 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Apparition said:

definitely not. Those two SB runs he had were among the most dominant ever by a skill player. Without those, he's just Ahman Green. 

Yes, but you can take away the super bowl wins and keep the performance, otherwise it's a completely different question. Part of his HOF candidacy is certainly his post season performance...I'm not so sure that his candidacy is drastically different without the actual super bowl wins. 

Others have mentioned - but Stafford and Matt Ryan are both sitting in the Phillip Rivers category - although both are a half step above Rivers case

Either becomes very near a HOF lock

Russ getting a 2nd one would be huge, although if he has longevity, I don't think he needs it.

Cam getting one puts him in the conversation

Everyone else worth mentioning has so much career left to be worth discussion

Just now, Tk3 said:

Cam getting one puts him in the conversation

Cam is such an interesting case, especially when you plug in the uniqueness of him as a player. His career definitely needed to be longer / better on the back end, but one of the fascinating things is that I think he's one of those guys who gets the "if you're telling the story of the nfl, you should talk about him" bump. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes, but you can take away the super bowl wins and keep the performance, otherwise it's a completely different question. Part of his HOF candidacy is certainly his post season performance...I'm not so sure that his candidacy is drastically different without the actual super bowl wins. 

fair. But Super Bowl MVP is also part of his CV. And it's a big one. Does losing that affect his candidacy? I think on some level it does. 

I know this isn't going to make any sense, but I really can't think of any quarterbacks that are, taking all context out of it, simply a SB win away and that's the difference between no HoF and HoF. At the same time, I do think SB wins are important (though not technically required) for a QB's candidacy. To me, neither Stafford nor Ryan become HoF material simply due to one late career SB win. I've seen too much good/very good play from them, not enough truly GREAT.

I think the better question for me is which early-career QBs would you start thinking seriously about being on a HoF type of career path with a SB win (maybe Herbert, Watson if he was playing this year).

Just now, Apparition said:

fair. But Super Bowl MVP is also part of his CV. And it's a big one. Does losing that affect his candidacy? I think on some level it does. 

He doesn't have to lose it. Chuck Howley won the award on a losing team, thus there is precedent for a losing player getting it. Do I think it likely? No, but possible. But in a conversation about whether or not winning or losing super bowls impacts their candidacy, I think you can only take away the actual super bowl wins. Taking away his super bowl MVP also completely changes the resume, as you said...but we can't guarantee that he loses that