LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

9 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Right, but that’s why I was saying about getting picks for him. What are we going to do? Simply get rid of whatever coach we replaced him with just because he wants to come back? I don’t see how that would work. 

Yes but do it in the correct way. Get a plan to where we know how long McVay want to step away? Maybe 2-3 years? Then tell every coach that interviews that in 2-3 years it’s possible McVay will come back and coach this team again. A coach will still take this job no matter what the situation is. It just depends who and could even give that coach extra incentive to compensate him knowing in a certain amount of time he won’t be the coach bc McVay will be back. So yeah there is a way of possibly doing it.

11 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Right, but that’s why I was saying about getting picks for him. What are we going to do? Simply get rid of whatever coach we replaced him with just because he wants to come back? I don’t see how that would work. 

Yeah it's going to be messy for sure. All depends on how we're doing when he returns but with some of our big guys probably on their way out in the next few years, I don't think whoever steps in will be doing great. Snead's job is going to get a lot tougher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Yeah it's going to be messy for sure. All depends on how we're doing when he returns but with some of our big guys probably on their way out in the next few years, I don't think whoever steps in will be doing great. Snead's job is going to get a lot tougher. 

If he's leaving, it's likely for a one year "mental health" break and the right into broadcasting.

Once he's gone, my suspicion is that he's gone. 

• Like 1

Yes we can be annoyed with McVay if he leaves. Forever grateful for what he’s done just not a fan of how he’s leaving. I’ve wanted for a while for him to give up play calling and think that would be a great way for him to lighten his load. I’d add Jay Gruden to this list with Coen officially going back to Kentucky.

23 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Are we allowed to be annoyed at McVay if he leaves?

He will always have my respect and I think the greatest coach in franchise history. But leaving at the first sign of struggle for a situation he helped create is....bad.

Take a few weeks/months to handle things in your personal life, but the window is still open. Leaving now is ...dare I say...cowardly. 

This is where I'm at. Like, you helped create a mess and then you see that you now have to help clean it up and you're going to be like "nope, I'll let someone else clean it up, but I'll be back when things are good again!" 

If this is really what he's thinking, then that's a b***h move by McVay. If he decides to leave and get into broadcasting because he's just over the grind of coaching, then fine. But don't duck out when the going gets tough then come back when the water is calm again. 

This to me says McVay is either gone or going to take awhile to decide. I don't know why he is doing this if he thinks he is coming back. The fact that we aren't blocking Thomas Brown from interviewing other RB coaching jobs is baffling. Same for Henderson.

Our FO can be way too nice in a competitive league. 

Morris would be fine, but I'm kind of hoping that somebody hires him away so we get those third round picks. If that happens, I'd promote Thomas Brown as the "interim" and move Jay Gruden to OC, assuming that McVay is sticking around as an advisor.

Edited by jrry32

I'm honestly not a fan of this "he'll be back, but just not this year" approach. It's worse than him just leaving to me (which would also suck). 

First off, it leaves us in limbo for an undisclosed amount of time. If he straight up tells them it's only a year, then fine, but I get the vibe he's just going to return whenever he wants. We can't be held hostage with our main core aging, and what happens if he changes his mind after a year or two once and just calls it quits?

Secondly, there are some great prospects out there. If we knew he was going to miss 2+ years, I'd love a shot at Ryans or Johnson but we'll most likely miss out on them because of the uncertainty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I'm honestly not a fan of this "he'll be back, but just not this year" approach. It's worse than him just leaving to me (which would also suck). 

First off, it leaves us in limbo for an undisclosed amount of time. If he straight up tells them it's only a year, then fine, but I get the vibe he's just going to return whenever he wants. We can't be held hostage with our main core aging, and what happens if he changes his mind after a year or two once and just calls it quits?

Secondly, there are some great prospects out there. If we knew he was going to miss 2+ years, I'd love a shot at Ryans or Johnson but we'll most likely miss out on them because of the uncertainty. 

I agree, if he's out then that is fine. But then when he comes back should be on the Rams terms. It would be insane to expect whoever gets the HC would be basically having an interim tag until McVay is done with his break. 

If Brown become HC for Texans, we will also get picks ?

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans requested permission to interview Rams assistant HC/TE coach Thomas Brown for their head coaching vacancy.

Brown interviewed for the Vikings' offensive coordinator vacancy last offseason but remained with the Rams, who first hired him as a running backs coach in 2020. At 36 years old, Brown has served on multiple football staffs at both the college and pro levels since he first joined Georgia as its strength and conditioning coach in 2011. Pelissero notes that the Texans are looking for a young coach to lead a young roster, and that Brown fits the bill perfectly in those regards.