Week 17 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

Just now, iknowcool said:

Right.  I used to not even be able to tolerate missing a Panthers game.  Even during the Clausen season, as bad as that was, we had the No. 1 pick to look forward to (which we thought was going to be Luck).

But right now, this is just a bad and sad product.  I think the only team that has been worse over the last 2 and 1/2 months are the Jags.  And Jags have the No. 1 pick and Trevor Lawrence to look forward to.

Once upon a time, my week could be saved or ruined by John Kasay's left foot, at least until Wednesday or so.  Now it's just kind of...meh, whatever.

Oddly enough, the Jags are my kinda-sorta "second team."  Maybe I need to do these teams a favor and keep my fandom to myself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

ok i gotta know why the hell was this not considered a TD for the Falcons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMWh2CIz0Y&t=797s

Play starts at 13:11 or so

They said Ryan gave himself up and took the TD away. The dude literally dove into the endzone with no one touching him. 

Bills played better than us today but Refs for sure hosed us on a few calls that could have given us a good chance to win that game.

Oh that's a tough one. One of those judgment calls the NFL normally structures the rulebook to afford. So, even though a slide or a knee are the most obvious cases of a player giving themselves up, a player can really do so however they want. But basically, they deemed he willingly fell to the ground to avoid contact, rather than dove for the end zone. So that means he's down when the knee hits. Had he reached the ball out or something, they would likely have deemed that a dive for the end zone, not a give up. But it does kind of look like him going down to avoid contact, not to go for the score.

It's like late in games, when guys try to avoid going out of bounds to keep the clock running. You can just fall and curl up and the play is dead.

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Look I get the refs weren't great but also Ja'Marr Chase had damn near 300 yards by himself so.

Chase was absolutely excellent. The refs were horrendous, as was our defensive gameplanning to stop Ja'Marr Chase. Both things are unquestionably true, and can be so without detracting from the other. Spags's blitz on 3rd and 27 was absolute coaching malpractice. Ja'Marr Chase was unstoppable (he was very coverable, honestly, our guys were in good spots consistently, but he caught anything that came near them.) The refs were atrocious. Those three points were basically the game.

• Like 1