Week 17 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

hard disagree. look what he has to work with, and they still play hard

He's a good "rah, rah" coach that will give motivational speeches to get the team pumped up. But in terms of managing a game, calling plays, and making adjustments he's absolutely terrible. He tries a bunch of crazy stuff in game but I doubt he'll ever be a great coach.

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's a good "rah, rah" coach that will give motivational speeches to get the team pumped up. But in terms of managing a game, calling plays, and making adjustments he's absolutely terrible. He tries a bunch of crazy stuff in game but I doubt he'll ever be a great coach.

To be fair the mistake was hiring OC Anthony Lynn.   Who’s a disaster at play calling and game management.    Like HoF level bad.    So Campbell too over those duties about 5-6 weeks ago.   And because of that he’s stretched too thin.    He wasn’t making those mistakes when he was “just” the HC.

Campbell didn’t set out to be the play caller.   He needs to can OC Lynn and start over there.    He owns the bad hire part for Lynn but the game management problems coincided with his expanded responsibilities.    Which suggests unlike other HC’s there’s room for growth here.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair the mistake was hiring OC Anthony Lynn.   Who’s a disaster at play calling and game management.    Like HoF level bad.    So Campbell too over those duties about 5-6 weeks ago.   And because of that he’s stretched too thin.    He wasn’t making those mistakes when he was “just” the HC.

Campbell didn’t set out to be the play caller.   He needs to can OC Lynn and start over there.    He owns the bad hire part for Lynn but the game management problems coincided with his expanded responsibilities.    Which suggests unlike other HC’s there’s room for growth here.  

Lynnn's had some decent offenses in the past and does a good job of getting the backs involved in the passing game. Regardless though, while the team plays hard he just regularly looks in over his head as a head coach. I don't think Detroit will ever be very good under MCDC.

@ET80What a difference 4 years makes when the last time the 49ers and Texans squared off. Looked like both teams found a guy for their long-term future that looked promising (although Watson was injured in the Jimmy G game in Houston). Don't know if Mills or Lance will be something, but hoping both are gunning for MVP in four years heehaw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@ET80What a difference 4 years makes when the last time the 49ers and Texans squared off. Looked like both teams found a guy for their long-term future that looked promising (although Watson was injured in the Jimmy G game in Houston). Don't know if Mills or Lance will be something, but hoping both are gunning for MVP in four years heehaw. 

You're more optimistic than I am with Davis Mills. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good... and that's about it, just good. He's going to be better than Gardner Minshew was after his rookie season, but Minshew being so bad is what got Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville. 

Davis Mills is a career 8-9/9-8 QB, IMO. He's not bad enough to get you picking in the top 5, but not good enough to get you picking in the 30s. I also fully expect this Texans FO to botch building around him and a David Culley led coaching staff to hinder everyone's development, which will lead to another rebuild, and continue this path of futile failure in the next 18 months... But, I'm a pessimist like that.

San Francisco looks really solid, and there might be something special with Trey Lance. He's got a really nice set of weapons with Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle, and the Shanahan/Kubiak/Lil Shanny voodoo of turning dudes into 1,000 rushers is still going very strong.

Lance might be THAT guy in San Francisco.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lance might be THAT guy in San Francisco.

Super raw, really needs a mechanics tweak, and he just needs a LOT of practice / game reps to catch up to NFL game speed.

But man, he's got the toolset.   Allen/Mahomes/Herbert level arm talent.   His legs weren't even as impressive as his arm talent.   And his ability to make reads is better than what I thought it would be.

Don't get me wrong, I think the best-case next year is a Jalen Hurts like season.  But it took Jalen Hurts 4 years of college (vs. top level competition) starting and 1+ full NFL season of starts (and 2 full seasons in the NFL) to be where he's at now.    Lance moving up that quickly next year would be a great result, and still nowhere near his ceiling.   He's on the "start/take your lumps next year" phase of the Josh Allen curve - realizing that it can cap out way earlier than Allen.    But a very similar ceiling IMO.   SF fans should be excited about what they saw yesterday, especially in the 2H.   

• Like 2

So the Chargers lose every tiebreaker to NE and IND given LAC would be 7-5 in conference (and in a tie scenario, IND & NE would be 8-4).   That means a LAC win over LV, and an IND win over JAX, and LAC is locked into the 7 seed (NE outcome then decides if it's NE/IND in 5-6 spots).

A KC W over DEN locks them into the 2 seed.

KC beats DEN SatNF early game

IND beats JAX Sunday

LAC beats LV SNF

With that result, we get LAC @ KC for Week 1 playoffs.    Herbert-Mahomes 2022, part 3.    Plus it ensures DEN gets a top 11 pick (and better by 1 spot per team with wins by WFT <NYG>, CHI <MIN>, ATL <NO> or SEA <ARI>). 

I'm totally here for it.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1