Coach of the Year?

SmittyBacall

Coach of the Year?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins it?

It’s a close race coming down to the wire. Three candidates are most likely winners (according to Vegas odds):

1.) Matt Lafleur - GB currently holds NFLs best record, and maybe the best team in all of football.

2.) Zac Taylor - Huge win total improvement from a year ago, taking a 4-11-1 win team to 10-7 or 11-6 this year. Secured division.

3.) Mike Vrabel - Missing multiple key players to injury, still holding on to the #1 seed in the AFC.

Who takes home the trophy?

I'm probably putting Payton above someone like Taylor.  I am friends with too many Bengals fans that still rip him to shreds and dislike him even in this season. It's completely ruined my perspective on him, tbh. I also think Lafleur will almost never get a fair shot at this award while he has Rodgers. It's not right, but I think that is the case. 

There's a good chance New Orleans is going to make the playoffs using 4 quarterbacks this year: Winston, Siemian, Taysom Hill and Ian freaking Book lol. That's pretty insane lol 

I think the award ultimately goes to Vrabel. A #1 seed with that many injuries ? Fuggedaboutit. Obviously BB deserves some love for what he has done in NE. 

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

I also think LaFleur will almost never get a fair shot at this award while he has Rodgers. It's not right, but I think that is the case. 

Probably

from the internet:

"For the "Well he has Rodgers !" crew on Matt LaFleur, so what?
No one has EVER done what he's done through 3 seasons.
Not Seifert with Steve Young. Not Dungy with Peyton Manning. Not Belichick with Brady. Not Reid with Mahomes.

Aikman + Jimmy,  Favre + Holmgren, Brees + Sean Payton. Name any QB coach combo -  They never won like THIS."

(And Rodgers/McCarthy were 23-24-1 just prior to La Fleur's arrival)

• Like 2

No one believed in the Bengals going into the season, Zac Taylor was one of the first names when it came to coaches on the hot seat, we all criticized them (including me) taking Chase over Sewell and all they've done was win the AFCN. 

Green Bay was 13-3 last year and the Titans were 11-5, how is it NOT, Zac Taylor?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm biased but I'd go MLF. Best record in the NFL while missing All Pro's galore. He's won 13 games in three consecutive years now and has no awards to show for it.

This. Not saying MLF is a shoo-in. But do people not realize he has also been missing three of his all pro players all season. Plus, losing multiple other top players throughout the season. 

• Like 1

i think they're all fine, defensible choices. maybe give taylor the edge because "coach of the year" really usually boils down to "story of the year" and the bengals exceeding expectations the way they have is probably the biggest story here.

• Like 3

If by some miracle the Saints win and 49ers lose, Sean Payton should get significant consideration. I don’t think that any team has had to endure a more difficult set of circumstances…displaced by a hurricane for weeks to open the season, then to be neck-and-neck with the Ravens as the most injured team (only not having the starting QB for three quarters of the season) and being down to a 3rd-4th string QB for another quarter), then being forced to play a game with half of your coaches and over 20 players on the COVID list because MNF revenue is more important than the integrity of the game).

34 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

If by some miracle the Saints win and 49ers lose, Sean Payton should get significant consideration. I don’t think that any team has had to endure a more difficult set of circumstances…displaced by a hurricane for weeks to open the season, then to be neck-and-neck with the Ravens as the most injured team (only not having the starting QB for three quarters of the season) and being down to a 3rd-4th string QB for another quarter), then being forced to play a game with half of your coaches and over 20 players on the COVID list because MNF revenue is more important than the integrity of the game).

Not even sure that it takes a miracle, especially if Kyle Pitts doesn't play. I fully expect you guys to beat the Falcons, and the Rams actually have to play because Arizona holds the tie breaker for the division. 49ers have had the Rams' number, but I think it's likely we are looking at Lance starting again and there's a really good chance that they could lose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

i think they're all fine, defensible choices. maybe give taylor the edge because "coach of the year" really usually boils down to "story of the year" and the bengals exceeding expectations the way they have is probably the biggest story here.

If you look at the preseason win totals, Cincy was at 6.5 wins for the over/under.
So from a perception POV, Zac Taylor has done the most with the least in 2021. 

I'm obviously biased, but I think it's got to be Vrabel.

Titans have had Julio and AJ together for like one game, and of course lost the face of their franchise halfway through the season, while also breaking the record for highest number of rostered players in a season by like six players.  And still have the one seed.

That said, we lose to the Texans next week, give it to Taylor.

• Like 2