Coach of the Year?

SmittyBacall

Coach of the Year?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins it?

It should go to LaFleur. A lot of people though GB was like a 10 win team and they are the consensus best team in the league at the moment. The guy has done nothing but win since taking over as the Packers HC. It is his year. The others are deserving but it is pretty simple imo.

Also, Sirianni shouldn't win it but he deserves to be at least mentioned based on what people thought about the Eagles this preseason. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No one believed in the Bengals going into the season, Zac Taylor was one of the first names when it came to coaches on the hot seat, we all criticized them (including me) taking Chase over Sewell and all they've done was win the AFCN. 

Green Bay was 13-3 last year and the Titans were 11-5, how is it NOT, Zac Taylor?

If we win next week, I actually think it will be Taylor. Going from 4-11-1 to 11-6 is a massive turnaround for a team that had little expectations. Stefanski won it last year under similar circumstances, going 6-10 in 2019 and 11-5 in 2020. The NFL seems to value the “most improved” aspect.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

If we win next week, I actually think it will be Taylor. Going from 4-11-1 to 11-6 is a massive turnaround for a team that had little expectations. Stefanski won it last year under similar circumstances, going 6-10 in 2019 and 11-5 in 2020. The NFL seems to value the “most improved” aspect.

Sure, which is why they probably default it to Belichick, again. 

Plus, part of your turnaround can be attributed to the fact that Burrow missed as much time as he did last year. So their record probably wouldn't have been 4-11-1 otherwise. But Taylor certainly belongs in the conversation anyways.

The dark horse I have not seen mentioned who may well deserve it, Sean Payton! Who has done more with less? Who is their QB?? Who is their #1 WR, or TE?? And they're fighting for a playoff spot. I've long been arguing this guy belongs right behind Bill Belichick overall, on the current NFL coaches list. He just gets the game, and always gives his team a chance regardless of what he does or doesn't have on game day. 

I get the argument for Lafleur. But I'd still love to see him a year or two without Rodgers before I personally crown him.

6 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Plus, part of your turnaround can be attributed to the fact that Burrow missed as much time as he did last year. So their record probably wouldn't have been 4-11-1 otherwise. But Taylor certainly belongs in the conversation anyways.

We were 2-7-1 with Burrow last year. 

I'd give it to Vrabel. That team being the 1 seed with the injuries they've sustained is pretty remarkable. The only other coach I would put in contention is Kingsbury if they win the West. I am not sure he is a good coach but you cannot argue with the results and keeping the ship afloat without Kyler. 

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It doesn't matter if you guys win or not, you all accomplished what you all wanted to do this year. If you continue to win, its just playing with house money at this point.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

It doesn't matter if you guys win or not, you all accomplished what you all wanted to do this year. If you continue to win, its just playing with house money at this point.

Agreed. 

In a weird way, out of all the awards we’re being connected with - Chase for ROY, Burrow for MVP, or Taylor for COY - I kind of would like to see Taylor take it home the most. For being as terrible as we were for the last two years, the guy deserves some recognition for turning us around and never losing the locker room or the vision. People have literally been calling for his head since the moment he was hired. I’m happy to see him have success. I know @Forge has referenced his buddies about how they really don’t like him, but I don’t have the same complaints. I wouldn’t say he’s great, but he’s done a good job and was dealt horrible hands his first two years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just think Cincinnati had a larger hill to climb, but that's my opinion 

Before the season, there were people who actually thought the Titans weren’t the best team in the division. Once they lost Henry, everyone thought there were done. That’s not including all the other injuries they’ve had to deal with. Their 1 win away from the #1 seed and likely would’ve had 13-14 wins if they were somewhat relatively healthy all season. 

42 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Before the season, there were people who actually thought the Titans weren’t the best team in the division.

Is that really all that crazy? Don’t get me wrong, I had the Titans pegged to win it, but the Colts and Titans we’re pretty even coming into this season. I think Titans were slight favourites, betting wise. 

As for the Bengals, were universally pegged as finishing 4th in what amounted to an incredibly tough division (at least preseason). We were viewed as in good hands with Burrow, but a few years away from competing for anything substantial with 3 potential playoff teams to go through. I’m not necessarily arguing Taylor deserves it over Vrabel, what he has accomplished is impressive. But I agree with @MSURacerDT55, we definitely had the tougher hill to climb.

• Like 1

Seems like a decent amount of legit candidates this year and it will be a shame for the ones that are deserving, but don't win.
Would fans be happier if they split it into AFC/NFC and award (2) Coach of the Year trophies, one for each conference ?
Or is that watering it down too much ?