Coach of the Year?

SmittyBacall

Coach of the Year?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins it?

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

What happened when the 2 candidate coaches went head-to-head ?

The LaFleur-led Packers demolished the Titans 40 - 14  and Mr. Derrick Henry was held under 100yds

your posts in this thread do not seem to indicate that you are aware that coach of the year is a one-year award. i've already said that i don't really care and i think it's taylor if anyone, but all this stuff about lafleur's first three seasons or the titans-packers game from last year is a total nonsequitur. they give this thing out annually. it's coach of the year, not coach of the last two years or last three years, lol. 

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

your posts in this thread do not seem to indicate that you are aware that coach of the year is a one-year award.

I'm just having some fun with it. I did not realize people take this **** as seriously as Winter.
Nobody is gonna change their minds about any of these awards - so I'm just lobbing some jarts onto the field

(Good thing its a one year award -  or else I'd have to bring up the anniversary of Vrabel's punt on 4th and 2 from the Ravens 40)

Mike Vrabel is gonna get demolished in the media/by fans for that punt decision and he'll deserve all the criticism. I can't think of anything recent in the NFL that comes close to how disastrous and cowardly that was. 4th and 2 at the Baltimore 40, Derrick Henry on your roster.

— Will Warren (@statsbywill) January 10, 2021

jarts-banned.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm just having some fun with it. I did not realize people take this **** as seriously as Winter.
Nobody is gonna change their minds about any of these awards - so I'm just lobbing some jarts onto the field

(Good thing its a one year award -  or else I'd have to bring up the anniversary of Vrabel's punt on 4th and 2 from the Ravens 40)

Mike Vrabel is gonna get demolished in the media/by fans for that punt decision and he'll deserve all the criticism. I can't think of anything recent in the NFL that comes close to how disastrous and cowardly that was. 4th and 2 at the Baltimore 40, Derrick Henry on your roster.

— Will Warren (@statsbywill) January 10, 2021

jarts-banned.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Yeah. It’ll be like bringing up LaFleur kicking a FG instead of letting his MVP QB try to convert a 4th and goal down 8 with like two minutes left.  ☺️

• Like 2

Say what you will about Zac Taylor, he has really built a great culture here in a short period of time. And despite two bad seasons, the locker room support has never waned once. The vast majority of players they have brought in through FA or the draft are either from from winning organizations, former captains, or both. He’s really been the catalyst behind it all.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:59 AM, NYRaider said:

It has to be Vrabel, although Rich becoming the first interim coach to ever lead a team to the playoffs deserves some votes.

I think it has to be Taylor.  The Titans went 11-5 last year and 9-7 the year before that, so it's not like the Titans all of a sudden got good.  Cincinnati was 4-11-1 last year, and they went 10-7 this year.  COY should go to a coach whose team exceeded expectations.  IF Arizona didn't fall apart in the second half of the season, I would have argued that Kliff deserved serious consideration.  Maybe McCarthy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it has to be Taylor.  The Titans went 11-5 last year and 9-7 the year before that, so it's not like the Titans all of a sudden got good.  Cincinnati was 4-11-1 last year, and they went 10-7 this year.  COY should go to a coach whose team exceeded expectations.  IF Arizona didn't fall apart in the second half of the season, I would have argued that Kliff deserved serious consideration.  Maybe McCarthy?

Nearly everyone had the Colts penciled in to win the AFC South. Nearly everyone said the Titans season was over after losing Henry in week 8. That’s not even mentioning losing Julio and AJ for 7-9 games a piece. I don’t understand how that’s not exceeding expectations. They have the #1 seed, they broke the record for most wins against winning teams, and broke the record for most players used in a season because of injury. No team has had to overcome more than Tennessee. 

Im also confused at to why the coach of the year should go to someone who was bad last year? 

26 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Nearly everyone had the Colts penciled in to win the AFC South. Nearly everyone said the Titans season was over after losing Henry in week 8. That’s not even mentioning losing Julio and AJ for 7-9 games a piece. I don’t understand how that’s not exceeding expectations. They have the #1 seed, they broke the record for most wins against winning teams, and broke the record for most players used in a season because of injury. No team has had to overcome more than Tennessee. 

Im also confused at to why the coach of the year should go to someone who was bad last year? 

I'm not sure nearly everyone had the Colts winning the AFC South, but I'm not really arguing that.  You cite the sheer number of games missed, which is a valid argument but you conveniently ignored the quality of players lost.

In terms of playoff bound teams, it appears San Francisco, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay all lost more quality players then Tennessee did.  And the reason I mention that is because Green Bay lost a LOT of core guys this year including David Bakhtiari (16 games), Za'Darius Smith (17 games), Jaire Alexander (13 games), Elgton Jenkins (9 games), etc.  I'm not trying to discredit what Vrabel has done.  He's easily in the top 5, probably in the top 3.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure nearly everyone had the Colts winning the AFC South, but I'm not really arguing that.  You cite the sheer number of games missed, which is a valid argument but you conveniently ignored the quality of players lost.

In terms of playoff bound teams, it appears San Francisco, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay all lost more quality players then Tennessee did.  And the reason I mention that is because Green Bay lost a LOT of core guys this year including David Bakhtiari (16 games), Za'Darius Smith (17 games), Jaire Alexander (13 games), Elgton Jenkins (9 games), etc.  I'm not trying to discredit what Vrabel has done.  He's easily in the top 5, probably in the top 3.

“More quality” is very subjective to whatever their stat is for “quality”. That’s why I ignore it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

“More quality” is very subjective to whatever their stat is for “quality”. That’s why I ignore it.

Jaire Alexander and Zadarius Smith were all pros last year in positions where GB were known to be thin, while David Bakhtiari was all pro the last 5 years in a row and Elgton Jenkins while not getting all pro yet has been pretty excellent since year 1. Yosh Nijman who took over had 17 career snaps as a UDFA/practice squad guy. That's 3 of their best 5-6 players, depending on if you put Kenny Clark quite on that same level or not. 

I'd give it to Vrabel myself, but not by a long distance - I think it's very, very close between him and Lafleur. The sheer bulk of injuries in Tennessee (and an absolutely key one in Henry) put the job he has done tick above for me, and I've been a huge fan of his since watching how he ground that clock down vs NE in the playoffs a few years back. 

What is clear to my mind is that Taylor and Sirianni, while both doing excellent jobs in their own right and being numbers 3 and 4 for me, are quite a distance back.