Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

In 2013, the Vikings’ defense ranked 31st in yards allowed, and 32nd in points allowed. In 2014, the Vikings’ defense ranked 14th in yards allowed, and 11th in points allowed.

Their defensive FA acquisitions in 2014 were Linval Joseph, Captain Munnerlyn, Tom Johnson, and Jasper Brinkley. While their defensive additions from the draft were Anthony Barr, Scott Crichton, Antone Exum, Shamar Stephen, Brandon Watts, and Jabari Price. 

It doesn’t have to take a lot to create a completely different outcome. 

Coaching and scheme had a lot to do with that I think.  Are we going to get a similar boost with the new coaching staff? 

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Coaching and scheme had a lot to do with that I think.  Are we going to get a similar boost with the new coaching staff? 

It’s not out of the realm of possibility. 

As a whole, last year’s defense wasn’t all bad. But their atrociously poor play inside of the last two minutes of each half doomed them. Improvement in that area alone should help the defense see a legitimate improvement. 

• Like 2

It's really easy to fix the Vikings Defense!  🤣  

The traditions in me says screw the idea of switching to a 3-4.  I love the Vikings lore of fearsome defensive fronts . . . And this roster shoulda been one of them in 2021.   I think the team did everything perfectly to lose but not "quit" so some saboteurs got their way.

Back the topic, having the right skills and personalities fixes on fine cocktail.   That said, a 4-3, 3-4, nickel, dime, 3-3-5, 4-2-5, blah, blah blah . . . This all relate to situational football and making the right calls at the right time.

Personnel-wise, I think Barr, Griffen, Pierce, Tomlinson, and unfortunately Peterson will be replaced.   Hunter needs to be retained which will eat some serious cap.   I'm 50/50 on Woods, but Bynum played plenty well.   The Vikes need impact draft players.   Injuries are always a concern.   

Watts provides experience, depth and enough size on the DL to play end or NT.  Lynch would be a 5T, as would Richardson (whom I hope they bring back).   I don't want anyone overthinking the draft . . . In Rd 1 if Stingley and Gardner are gone, draft Davis.  If Davis and Gardner are gone, draft one of the speed freak outside guys . . . I'd love Walker.  Ojoba would be enticing too, but why are "experts" labeling him as a major boom or bust candidate?  I'm a bit hesitant on Stingley withe the injuries.  

In Rds 2 and 3, keep filling the D.   A couple of these super prospects will slide, so get BPA . . . Even if that includes an OG or OT or TE.   

In Rds 4-7, I'm thinking there will be some great prospects in the CB, RB, and WR left.   Max Borghi and Pierre Strong come to mind, although after Strong's 40, I can't wait to see another fellow Jackrabbit go on day 2.  

The draft process will shake-out few gems, like oversized CBs and under-sized LBs who have intangibles galor . . . And skills that push them into odd roles.  

• 3 weeks later...

Adofo-Mensah, regarding Patrick Peterson:

"He texted me the other day. Pat Pete's a great person, a great player in this league for a long time. I was in his division and that was always a tough day going against him. Again, we're trying to be solutions-oriented about everything we do here. You want to make sure you respect a player of his caliber, his expertise in this league, but also the reality of the situation we're in from a salary cap standpoint. Again, those conversations are ongoing, and we're trying to work through those problems as we can."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-cornerbacks-free-agency

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That doesn't sound great for bringing him back, imo.

It sounds like they’re waiting for the price to go down. Or for Peterson to realize what his price point is. 

Peterson probably still values himself at $9M. The Vikings, or league, probably value him at significantly less than that. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

It sounds like they’re waiting for the price to go down. Or for Peterson to realize what his price point is. 

Peterson probably still values himself at $9M. The Vikings, or league, probably value him at significantly less than that. 

He could be brought back after the draft.

There have been 4 CBs age 30+ that have signed so far this offseason per OTC.

Casey Hayward with the Falcons at $5.5M APY
Bradley Roby with the Saints at $3.5M APY
Terrance Mitchell with the Patriots at $1.75M APY
Buster Skrine with the Titans at $1.27M APY

There are 22 age 30+ CBs are still available on the market.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want Patrick Peterson back for anything close to his previous contract ($8M).
He is in the average CB (but aging), and could drop off very fast conversation.
It would need to be in the $3-5M range.
And if that's where KAM's head is at (but saying 'salary cap obstacles'), then PP might consider other options (at that same price tag). 

Edited by CriminalMind

On 3/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, CriminalMind said:

I wouldn't want Patrick Peterson back for anything close to his previous contract ($8M).
He is in the average CB (but aging), and could drop off very fast conversation.
It would need to be in the $3-5M range.
And if that's where KAM's head is at (but saying 'salary cap obstacles'), then PP might consider other options (at that same price tag). 

Glad I nailed the price point for Peterson. $3.5M-$4.5M with incentives

What are we doing at DE? We can't just put nose tackles at DE and expect it to work out. We don't have the the right people. Does anybody know any draft prospects that would be fits there? honestly Jaylen Twyman looks like he was built for the position in college but I don't know if he has an NFL career at this point. The only prospect I've seen that I feel has the size to step in is Jordan Davis, and may be a couple OLB/DE hybrid guys that are all the rage now. And I mean people who would be available at 12 or later.

Edited by HeydudemanG
edit

9 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

What are we doing at DE? We can't just put nose tackles at DE and expect it to work out. We don't have the the right people. Does anybody know any draft prospects that would be fits there? honestly Jaylen Twyman looks like he was built for the position in college but I don't know if he has an NFL career at this point. The only prospect I've seen that I feel has the size to step in is Jordan Davis, and may be a couple OLB/DE hybrid guys that are all the rage now. And I mean people who would be available at 12 or later.

I don't know how you could come to question whether Twyman has a NFL career when the only reason he didn't play was because he got shot.  It's basically going to be his rookie year this year.  I'm pretty sure people weren't questioning whether Greenway had a NFL career after blowing out his knee on the first play of preseason.

I think they'll be fine in the front 3...Tomlinson (RDT) and Phillips (NT) have both done it before.  The only question is regarding the other spot, but one of Lynch or Watts will fill that spot and they'll be okay.