Divisional Round: 49ers @ Packers: Postgame - Packers lose 13-10, season ends due to worst STs in history!

FAH1223

Anxiety Meter  

84 members have voted

1. 1. You nervous?

We aren't going to run right through these guys, they are too good up front.  Dillon and Jones will have a lot of 2 yard carries with the occasional pop for Jones.  This game is won for GB in the 5-15 yard pass range.  Adams will get his catches, but I think Cobb is the X factor in this game.  He's a good player to have in this situation with a good SF pass rush and he can work around the LBs in that 5-10 yard range.  Rodgers will use him and unpurposely show why he wanted him back.   

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=223724

Old data shows avg time missed from concussion is 1.5 games, one would have to guess that they are even more conservative with concussions now than then. But is the playoffs and it is hard to imagine that isn't part of the calculation. 

I doubt we get lucky enough that Bosa misses the game.  There won't be any covid this week either I'd guess.  It's playoff time and folks will be turning a blind eye to stuff.

25 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=223724

Old data shows avg time missed from concussion is 1.5 games, one would have to guess that they are even more conservative with concussions now than then. But is the playoffs and it is hard to imagine that isn't part of the calculation. 

IIRC, concussion protocols are done by independent doctors.

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I doubt we get lucky enough that Bosa misses the game.  There won't be any covid this week either I'd guess.  It's playoff time and folks will be turning a blind eye to stuff.

If the Packer O-line can give Rodgers a clean pocket, he will hose the SF secondary. IMHO that's one of the big match ups in this game. Wish Jenkins hadn't gotten hurt. Having Bahk and Turner back is big. 

The other big match up is the Packer secondary against the SF receivers. Kittel, Aiyuk, Samuel, and Jennings who has become a pretty good big bodied 3rd down target for them. Hopefully the Packer's pass rush can help out their secondary. 

Dallas held SF to 23 points. I think the Packer D is at least as good now that they're getting some players back. And Rodgers is 10 points better than Dak. Packers 27-23. Should be a great game to watch. Hoping for snow!

The game plan seems pretty easy ... stuff the run and make Jimmy G. beat you.  He's got a thumb issue and has some issues with gipping the ball properly.  In single degree temps his injury is going to show up more frequently than his day in Dallas this past week.  On the late interception he was quoted as saying, "I didn't grip the ball right".   Well the cold weather is going to be a problem for him if he wants to throw it down the field.  I would expect they will set out to run it 30 plus times, and keep it conservative in the passing game.  Bring another guy into the box and play sound and disciplined against the run and I think the Packers have enough playmakers in the secondary to come up with a few picks.  

On offense I think the Packers will also set out to run the ball and set a physical tone, but I also look for the running backs to be a major force in the passing game.  We've seen the Jones/Dillon backfield a little bit of late .. I think we could see a lot of it on Saturday night.  Hopefully MVS can make it back for this one to help keep San Fran honest deep down the field.  That will help open the middle of the field where Rodgers can feast.  An even slightly hobbled Fred Warner could have his work cut out for him.

47 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I think a lot of guys have come back in one game from concussions.  I don’t know how many Bosa has had, it does seem like guys with multiple take longer to get through protocol. 

Our punter got knocked the F out on a punt return collision during week 18 and had to leave the game due to a concussion. He was cleared by Friday or Saturday before the Cowboys game and played. 

Bosa, to my knowledge, hasn't had a concussion before in the pros, so I would think he should clear at some point this week. 

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Legit forgot that Jerome Boger was the ref in the Packers week 3 game against SF. Dude was predictably terrible. Won't have to worry about him this time at least

Yea, the two PI calls on Stokes, both of which I believe led to TDs or SF were terrible, especially the bomb on 3rd down where Stokes literally never touched the guy. That's what kept SF in the game in the first place. 

• Like 1

Should be a tough game.  I'd give the Packers an edge, given Rodgers, home field, and perhaps if Bosa actually is out.  But other than the Vikings game, the Packers haven't had an easy win all season, I certainly don't anticipate one on Saturday. 

As always, I think it will depend heavily on how effective the Packers kinda-average offense can be. 

• Packers have had a mediocre run-game all season, so I don't expect us to be able to run very consistently against their d-front.  Maybe the o-line changes will turn that on, I'd so love that.  But 4 guys will probably be starting at positions in which Detroit was their only game-action in months or more (Bakhti, Myers, Patrick, Turner).  So I'm not sure that this crew is going to just come out blasting holes for Jones and Dillon.  
  • As always, need the passing game to click.  Will need Rodgers to be sharp, for the o-line to protect, for guys to make some difficult catches, for Rodgers to make some difficult throws, and to convert on a lot of 3rd downs.  Some of that will happen some of the plays, but as always there will be inconsistencies.  Some big plays can turn games, but Packers don't really have a big-play passing game, so big-play is possible but not very probable.  Bosa yes or no could impact, obviously.
  • Packers offense never scores much in the first quarter, and usually shuts down in the 4th quarter.  I don't imagine they're going to score enough to make anything easy. 

The defense isn't going to shut out the 9ers all the time.  Need to score enough on offense so that the defense can allow some scores.  Will be interesting to see whether the defense will play it soft, or whether they'll be a bit more aggressive and create pressure on those occasions when they do get some 3rd-and-nonshort.  I wonder too how healthy Mercilus is; might he be kinda helpful in run support?  

Packers have often won games thanks to mistakes by others.  An interception would be great, but if they don't get any, it's likely to stay close.  Sometimes other teams make bad throws on 3rd-down opportunities, or drop catchable passes, too.  I'd love to just go out and beat them, but being the beneficiaries of some missed opportunities for them is possible.    

The Packers shouldn't be outclassed, they've got a chance.  Got a chance to go out and win this game.  And got a chance to not dominate but to play well enough to let San Fran lose it, too.  

Edited by craig

7 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Legit forgot that Jerome Boger was the ref in the Packers week 3 game against SF. Dude was predictably terrible. Won't have to worry about him this time at least

Which one is Boger? The guy that calls out the penalty for the TV camera?

Concussion symptoms and recoveries are serendipitous to each time they happen. Some times they are quick and symptoms are quite mild, other times they are severe and take a long time for full recovery. Frankly I think Nick suffered a concussion in week 15 this season, but after his screening he was allowed to return.

Screening is not an exact science. If is were solely up to Bosa he would be playing on Saturday against the Packers. However, it is not up to him and he only has until Saturday to clear full protocol to be able to play on Saturday. Warner's previous ankle injury took a week and a half before he could even practice. This may or not be the case this time, but odds are he will be limited at best.

Regardless of Bosa's and Warner's game status, the Packers need to focus on their play and what they can control. If they do, they are the superior team and should win on their home turf/

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1