Divisional Round: 49ers @ Packers: Postgame - Packers lose 13-10, season ends due to worst STs in history!

FAH1223

Anxiety Meter  

84 members have voted

1. 1. You nervous?

49 minutes ago, craig said:

Should be a tough game.  I'd give the Packers an edge, given Rodgers, home field, and perhaps if Bosa actually is out.  But other than the Vikings game, the Packers haven't had an easy win all season, I certainly don't anticipate one on Saturday. 

As always, I think it will depend heavily on how effective the Packers kinda-average offense can be. 

• Packers have had a mediocre run-game all season, so I don't expect us to be able to run very consistently against their d-front.  Maybe the o-line changes will turn that on, I'd so love that.  But 4 guys will probably be starting at positions in which Detroit was their only game-action in months or more (Bakhti, Myers, Patrick, Turner).  So I'm not sure that this crew is going to just come out blasting holes for Jones and Dillon.  
  • As always, need the passing game to click.  Will need Rodgers to be sharp, for the o-line to protect, for guys to make some difficult catches, for Rodgers to make some difficult throws, and to convert on a lot of 3rd downs.  Some of that will happen some of the plays, but as always there will be inconsistencies.  Some big plays can turn games, but Packers don't really have a big-play passing game, so big-play is possible but not very probable.  Bosa yes or no could impact, obviously.
  • Packers offense never scores much in the first quarter, and usually shuts down in the 4th quarter.  I don't imagine they're going to score enough to make anything easy. 

The defense isn't going to shut out the 9ers all the time.  Need to score enough on offense so that the defense can allow some scores.  Will be interesting to see whether the defense will play it soft, or whether they'll be a bit more aggressive and create pressure on those occasions when they do get some 3rd-and-nonshort.  I wonder too how healthy Mercilus is; might he be kinda helpful in run support?  

Packers have often won games thanks to mistakes by others.  An interception would be great, but if they don't get any, it's likely to stay close.  Sometimes other teams make bad throws on 3rd-down opportunities, or drop catchable passes, too.  I'd love to just go out and beat them, but being the beneficiaries of some missed opportunities for them is possible.    

The Packers shouldn't be outclassed, they've got a chance.  Got a chance to go out and win this game.  And got a chance to not dominate but to play well enough to let San Fran lose it, too.  

Agree with much of this.  The Packers arent going to have a lot of success running the ball, they'll get a play here and there with Jones.   The Packers will make their money beyond 5 yards from the LOS.  The niners will be all over any jet sweeps and bubble screen type plays.  

The Packers need to be careful not to go to  consistently running the ball to early with a lead.   A balance needs to be maintained.  Don't be afraid to let Rodgers throw some with a lead late in the game against these guys.  He's got 4 picks all year, I'll take my chances with his judgment.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Some rb's can just make an offense go. AP, Lynch in his prime, Henry. Dillon isn't those guys IMO.

Dillon has carried the ball 187 times in 17 games... he hasn't had near the opportunity to take over a game as those guys have. I wish we'd give him the ball more because I think he COULD make the offense go, but it's always a little sprinkle of AJD, then a little of Jones aswell. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, persiandud said:

Their secondary has improved during the course of the season, they're actually a pretty good pass defense overall 

And they have an elite running game. That's the mismatch, their strength against our weakness. We are still soft against the run, so it makes it imperative we score points and keep their offense in a negative game script. 

Their running game is not elite ... they average 16 yards per game more running than the Packers but do run the ball more. They are not Baltimore or Cleveland.  49ers pass defense gives up 13 yards less than GB, nothing wild there either.  Total number of sacks for each team is 33 .. even steven.  The biggest difference between these teams -- turnovers.  GB is a plus 13 and SF is a minus 4 ... difference of 17 turnovers.  They have intercepted only 9 compared to Packers 18.  STOP THE FRICKIN RUN AND MAKE THEM PASS.  Packers are getting players back and 49ers may have lost their 2 best D players.  It won't be easy but expect a 10 point win.   

• Like 3

We could lose this one, but we will be facing the worst remaining QB in the playoffs.  We have arguably the best QB remaining in the playoffs.  It's a home game.  Third road game in a row for the 49'ers.  The opponent is on a short week with a couple major injuries hanging over their heads.  The Packers are seemingly healthier than they have been at any point this season.  I'm not seeing a loss here, so once again Packers 31 .. 49'ers 20!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Biggest difference this time around is the Niners will be using Mitchell and Deebo for those carries. In the first matchup, Niners didn't have Mitchell for that game and only gave Deebo 2 carries.

And we didn't have OL, our 2 best D players and won't have inept refs.

51 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Huh. I'm out here too. And all the inlaws are 9ers fans too. My best move is to lay low this week. We'll watch the game together, we'll be complimentary of good plays, but I want a playoff revenge after the last time the 9ers bounced the Packers. I want to be the one to walk out of that house with hope. At least my kid is rooting for the Packers after growing up in 9er country. 

I think it will be a hard fought battle but we are the better team. This is not 2019 where I felt like we had been punching above our weight all season with a new coach and new system. Anything can happen as far  as a bad bounce, but if we take care of the ball and can keep them from racking up too much on the ground, I think we win. Shanahan knows all about LaFleur’s scheme but that cuts both ways. Here’s to a classic icy night game at Lambeau with the good guys coming out on top!

Also, good job raising your kid up right

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree on your main points.  Dillon has been terrific and Jones has been variably good, too.  Those guys are a very talented backfield, and will contribute to a good run, if the Packer do advance.  Both are terrific in the blocking game; and both are good on the receiving end, too.  So having two excellent all-around backs is terrific.  

As a team, they were 20th in YPC and 18th in total yards.  Despite an MVP QB in a pass-sets-up-run league.  

That was then, this is now, of course.  Wwho knows, maybe Myers, Turner, and Bakhti will turn the run-blocking from sub-par to average or above-average, and two plus backs running behind average-plus run-blocking will result in excellent ypc, who knows?  I sure hope so.  

Incog, I'm not suggesting this is you.  But sometimes I think Packer fans think we have this great running game, and that in cold-weather we can just get physical and run to victory.  I think as has been true for the last two seasons, it needs to support and complement the pass game; but the run game will likely be setting up a lot of 3rd downs that will need to succeed via the pass.  And the run game isn't so strong that **if** they've got a lead in the 4th quarter, that they'll just be able to run their way to first downs to secure a victory.  

Granted, it sure would be cool if the new o-line suddenly opened things up for the backs, so that they aren't so often getting hit at the line of scrimmage.  

I think the disconnect is the inclusion/exclusion of the short passing game which I view as an extension of the running game (and is used as such). MLF has a lot of designed passing plays to Jones/Dillon and those are frequently substituted. When one combines rush attempts and receiving yards per target to get a true "RB production per opportunity" this is what you see from across the league:

Nick Chubb - 5.7 yds/opp

Taylor - 5.7 yds/opp

Sanders - 5.3 yds/opp

Jones/Dillon - 5.0 yds/opp

Elijah Mitchel - 4.8 yds/opp

Fournette - 4.8 yds/opp

Gordon - 4.7 yds/opp

Cook - 4.6 yds/opp

Henry - 4.6 yds/opp

Mixon - 4.5 yds/opp

Kamara - 4.4 yds/opp

Zeke - 4.3 yds/opp

Harris - 4.2 yds/opp

We have an elite RB duo and ignoring their contribution in the short passing game does a complete disservice in trying to gauge their effect on the game.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

The issue with the run game is the run blocking, which is where all the OL injuries were really felt throughout the season. You'd expect to see improvement now that the OL is finally as healthy as it can be with Bak/Myers/Turner all ready to go

They are healthy at the same time they could be rusty as well.

its a double edged sword. 

14 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Dillon has carried the ball 187 times in 17 games... he hasn't had near the opportunity to take over a game as those guys have. I wish we'd give him the ball more because I think he COULD make the offense go, but it's always a little sprinkle of AJD, then a little of Jones aswell. 

Agreed. Dillon is 100% capable of "taking over a game". He lead the league this year in successful runs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

*checks the weather report*

It is TIME!

• Like 1

Just now, Jaire_Island said:

They are healthy at the same time they could be rusty as well.

its a double edged sword. 

All I know is that they won't have Week 3 rookie version of Royce Newman at RG on the field this Saturday. Won't have a 3rd string LT making his first career start either.

• Like 1

I am not worried about Bosa. Our Oline can handle him. My worry is all about Fred Warner.

If he is not playing, our chances are improved significantly. 

there was a reason why Arod said Fred Warner is the best ILB in the league. 

Edited by Jaire_Island