A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

It should be noted that Matt Campbell doesn’t exactly fit the typical trope for college coaches who find their way to the NFL. He’s not some Xs and Os wiz kid, nor is he some older “legendary” coach who’s trying to sell his brand. 

Matt Campbell is a leader. He’s a coach who does a great job connecting with his players. His greatest attributes are communication, motivation, and collaboration. He’s a CEO style coach in the mold of Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. 

If Matt Campbell were the choice for head coach, I’d be most intrigued as to who he’d bring in as his coordinators. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, K9 said:

This is a dumb question, I know but just wondering... do you want to hire your GM first or your head coach? Or does it matter

It's not a dumb question, but I think it's personally dumb when anyone ever hires a HC before finding a GM.  You can have success doing that, but I think it's a lot riskier, because then you're really giving too much power to a HC who doesn't have the big picture focus needed to run the whole operation.  

• Like 1

Vikings better get a move on, seriously Brian Flores to me is easily the best Head Coaching candidate out there unless Ryan Day throws into the mix.  Vikings better get him before the Bears do, sure would be odd if the Bears go back to Fangio but seriously they probably should of went with him instead of Nagy anyway.

Jacksonville - Byron Leftwich
Vegas - Todd Bowles
Minnesota - Brian Flores
Denver - Dan Quinn
Chicago - Vic Fangio
Miami - Eric Bieniemy
Texans - Joe Barry

The Bears are not going to hire Flores...and I'm not sure he'd be interested in that organization anyway...he's already dealt with Ross...wait until he would have to talk to the McCaskeys.  He'll end up with the Texans...yes, they are a mess, but at least he would have Caserio at his back, unlike what he had in Miami.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I really want either Kwesi Adofo-Mensah or Catherine Raiche as GM.

I think Brian Flores or Doug Pederson would probably by my HC front-runners. I want nothing to do with any college coach. 

Why on the GM preferences? I know little about them they just seem like the most inexperienced of the bunch in terms of actually building a roster. 

3 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Matt Campbell is an interesting name. Wasn’t he mentioned as potential NFL head coach material last year? Super bright mind and great communicator. I’m leery on the move from college to the NFL as it’s a whole different animal, but maybe he’s the guy that can be successful. 

Yes. He was rumored as a potential candidate for Detroit and the Jets, but he actually declined an interview with the Jets. That actually impresses me a ton. He's smart enough to know that he only gets one chance to make a first impression, and that doing so with one of the aforementioned disfunctional franchise would probably not set him up well. 

The Vikings job is definitely one that could lure him though. Solid ownership, good roster, and a local media that isn't too doggish. He's known as a culture changer and strong leader. 

I'd be very happy if he was the next head coach. 

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why on the GM preferences? I know little about them they just seem like the most inexperienced of the bunch in terms of actually building a roster. 

We need a change of culture, and they aren't the typical football insider good ole boys. They got where they are because of ability and competency, not because they made a name as a player or are related to the right people. 

Kwesi is obviously crazy smart, and you know Catherine has had to work 10x harder and have near flawless work to make it in the NFL as a woman. Both come from operations backgrounds which I think is far, far more important for a GM than football experience or a scouting background. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It should be noted that Matt Campbell doesn’t exactly fit the typical trope for college coaches who find their way to the NFL. He’s not some Xs and Os wiz kid, nor is he some older “legendary” coach who’s trying to sell his brand. 

Matt Campbell is a leader. He’s a coach who does a great job connecting with his players. His greatest attributes are communication, motivation, and collaboration. He’s a CEO style coach in the mold of Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. 

If Matt Campbell were the choice for head coach, I’d be most intrigued as to who he’d bring in as his coordinators. 

I think this is about the key point to Matt Campbell. CEO. 

Problem with most coach’s coming out is they NEED to run their system and that’s why they fail, they typically struggle to find those OC’s to work with them. 

id be interested.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings better get a move on, seriously Brian Flores to me is easily the best Head Coaching candidate out there unless Ryan Day throws into the mix.  Vikings better get him before the Bears do, sure would be odd if the Bears go back to Fangio but seriously they probably should of went with him instead of Nagy anyway.

Vegas - Todd Bowles
Minnesota - Brian Flores
Denver - Dan Quinn
Chicago - Vic Fangio
Miami - Eric Bieniemy
Texans - Joe Barry

I just done see any possibility for Flores to Minnesota.

We fired a D coordinator who had a rough personality, further stating we want to focus on good collaborators in this regime.

Flores is like the opposite of what they’re looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Vegas - Todd Bowles
Minnesota - Brian Flores
Denver - Dan Quinn
Chicago - Vic Fangio
Miami - Eric Bieniemy
Texans - Joe Barry

I honestly don’t see the rush yet. The HC side I’m guessing will come fast after the GM.