2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

31 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

His medicals are even more terrifying than Penix's. I'd take the chance on Penix, I would not take the chance on Latu. A neck injury so significant that a doctor demeed him unfit to play football anymore? Yikes. His performance after that diagnosis is definitely impressive but I think that's a massive risk for us.

I think there’s a really good chance he falls to the second day because of it. 

12 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Fangio was on thin ice. There was talk of him being fired that offseason.  By all accounts that was his year to make it work his way. He always devalued the QB position, it’s very possible that if a QB, a project WB who would have necessitated someone to groom him (not Vic’s forte), was drafted against his wishes he and George would have “split amicably.” 

at the end of the day both of our scenarios were just as likely to happen and neither did. Fields is not a good QB. The mental gymnastics it takes to continue to justify wanting to select him in retrospect is what I’m pointing out. I also wanted us to select him at the time!  We were both wrong.

You are trying to jump through a few hoops now to justify your assertion.

45 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

You are trying to jump through a few hoops now to justify your assertion.

Hahahahaha

all I was ever doing was pointing out how ridiculous yours was. I have no strong feelings for that make believe scenario. If you can see that in mine surely you can see the same in yours, no?

my point this entire time is that we shouldn’t be pining for a bad draft pick because through a series of mental gymnastics we could possibly be in a better place if that butterflys wings had flapped. This team would be no better today if we had a failed Justin fields as our QB. 

• Like 1

Feels like Penix needs amazing protection to thrive. That accuracy nosedives if he’s even a little off platform. I’m actually more intrigued by the flashes of JJ’s arm talent + athleticism under pressure but I think he could use another year in college.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Feels like Penix needs amazing protection to thrive. That accuracy nosedives if he’s even a little off platform. I’m actually more intrigued by the flashes of JJ’s arm talent + athleticism under pressure but I think he could use another year in college.

I finally saw *it* with McCarthy. It’s still a crazy tough evaluation with the gimmicky offence and the spotty accuracy, but the footwork, the quick and high release, the zip…physically it’s all there. I’m still far from convinced that he’s worth a 1st, but I can see how it could all come together. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I know this wasn't a good representation of Penix, but damn...if he even tries to throw these little flick passes in the nfl, he will have em batted down or picked. In general does it look to anyone else like the arcs of his throws are a bit low? Just worries me he will be an interception machine

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

I know this wasn't a good representation of Penix, but damn...if he even tries to throw these little flick passes in the nfl, he will have em batted down or picked. In general does it look to anyone else like the arcs of his throws are a bit low? Just worries me he will be an interception machine

I've read quite a few evaluations of him and seen some tape. A consistent knock is that he has only one speed on his ball and little ability for touch passes, lofted balls, etc. He'll deliver a fastball though. 

7 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Hahahahaha

all I was ever doing was pointing out how ridiculous yours was. I have no strong feelings for that make believe scenario. If you can see that in mine surely you can see the same in yours, no?

my point this entire time is that we shouldn’t be pining for a bad draft pick because through a series of mental gymnastics we could possibly be in a better place if that butterflys wings had flapped. This team would be no better today if we had a failed Justin fields as our QB. 

Actually, my favorite "what if" concerns Bradley Chubb vs Quenton Nelson. Just think of our OL with Nelson instead of Powers. Ah well.........

On 1/6/2024 at 6:06 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

sometimes the best thing to do is embrace the rebuild. Something this franchise has been reluctant to do at great detriment. Eat the cap hit, accumulate picks, build the team.

I believe (hope) that's where we're headed. A boring but solid draft would tickle me to death. IMO, drafting a QB or signing a FA QB has as much to do with timing as talent. 

Consider Russ. Even had he been great, the team around him wasn't good enough to get us anywhere. With the lack of quality draft picks to bolster the roster and his salary being a huge impediment to signing FA's we'd be stuck in kind of a "blah" limbo for his entire stay. We were just two to three years too early to make that leap.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Completely agree. As soon as there is pressure it's not the same player. Given that Washington is renowned for its offensive line, we see why it has succeeded over the past 2 years. So yes it's true he is impressive with his passing speed and ball placement but if we add the 4 big injuries. That's a big NO for me too much risk.
McCarthy still needs development and is no higher than a 3rd round pick. At times it's good but it's far too rare. Given the holes we have at several positions I won't dwell on it.
Of course all this is only in 1 match.....
So either TRADE BIG to WIN BIG or wait until 2025 and set up other positions. Bowers as a TE for example.

11 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Hahahahaha

The difference is that mine isn't ridiculous - if we drafted Fields then we don't go after Rodgers (or are you suggesting that we would have still tried to trade draft picks for Rodgers even if we drafted Fields?) - if we don't go after Rodgers we don't need to hire Hackett (and maybe - at worst - Paton would have gone to the most obvious option - Dan Quinn) - if we draft Fields we don't trade for Wilson (for the same reasons as with Rodgers). The only iffy one is whether we would have gone after Payton a season later - but that would be dependent on whoever we hired as a HC instead of Hackett would have f*cked-up as badly as Hackett (and remember what a half competent coach like Rosburg did after Hackett was fired). This doesn't mean that we would have been better than 8-9 this season - or that Fields would have been the answer - but at least we would have had some premium picks and cap space to build the roster.

This off-season we have only 2 of our own picks in the draft - and with the  exception of the Jets pick, we are picking in a worse off position with the other three because of the trades. We are also burdened with a close to $90m cap hit - and we still need a QB.

In fact - until we hit with a QB in the draft we will continue to bounce around where we are - so we need to keep throwing darts until one hits. That might be Penix (or someone else Payton goes after) - but we have to get off the QB carousel. 

The big issue is if Payton wants to trade up for 1.1 (assuming Chicago decides to keep Fields) - then PS2 is all we have as trade bait and we will end up having to add picks as well (there will be a mad scramble if the Bears decide to trade down) - so we won't be able to use the draft to build the roster - and we still need to carry Wilson's cap hit.

By the way - draft picks are only bad draft picks if they don't pan out - when they do there are good draft picks. The draft is a lottery and it can be anything up to 4-5 years to know for definite if a draft pick was a good one or not.

I also think the jury is still out on Fields - and there will be a queue of teams looking to trade for him if the Bears decide to take Williams. Unlike with Wilson, who will have to beg teams to take him at the vet minimum and will probably only have one or two takers (and probably only for a one year deal).

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, my favorite "what if" concerns Bradley Chubb vs Quenton Nelson. Just think of our OL with Nelson instead of Powers. Ah well.........

Agreed. There’s so many what if’s where we could have selected good players that I simply don’t understand the mentality of regretting a time where we selected a great player instead of a bust! There have been a lot of mistakes made the last decade or so. Taking PS2 instead of fields was not one of them lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, French Fan said:

So either TRADE BIG to WIN BIG or wait until 2025 and set up other positions. Bowers as a TE for example.

Please, after the Russ fiasco, tell me you're being sarcastic.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Elway is still running things in the background (with his nephew or something). This organization may not start to win again until 2065 at this pace. 

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I personally prefer getting some young talent on this team and stockpiling some picks, but with the way Payton ignored long term cap implications in NO + richest owners in the league it’s not impossible imo that he does what is needed to get his QBOTF and let’s the next guy worry about cap hell and a depleted roster