Offseason - Around the NFL

WizardHawk

31 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

I wonder how much of today was..."letting them play". Although, as much as a lot of our fan base complains about the penalties called against us, a lot are legit. Pre-snap, RG tackling the guard etc.

Wouldn't it be in the NFL's best interest to NOT call as many penalties against us? One of the most popular teams. Seems it would be in the NLF's best interest if "they didn't call" so many against?

44 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Vet min and not GTD $$? Sure. He wouldnt even count against the cap. His upside would be much higher than the ~50th player on our team and his financial impact would be the same. 

Well, we’re in different worlds on this one. AB is a turd from the word go and chaos follows him like stink on ****. He could sign a contract that gained Dallas cap space and I wouldn’t want him on team. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Well, we’re in different worlds on this one. AB is a turd from the word go and chaos follows him like stink on ****. He could sign a contract that gained Dallas cap space and I wouldn’t want him on team. 

He would be on the shortest of leashes. 

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Talent, maybe? One should assume better teams make the playoffs with higher frequency. 

Math is interesting though. 

You would presume that the other team would be talented as well, which should negate that theory.  Not saying it does though with all the offensive advantages. 

16 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

I wonder how much of today was..."letting them play". Although, as much as a lot of our fan base complains about the penalties called against us, a lot are legit. Pre-snap, RG tackling the guard etc.

Wouldn't it be in the NFL's best interest to NOT call as many penalties against us? One of the most popular teams. Seems it would be in the NLF's best interest if "they didn't call" so many against?

I think clubs that have proven to be disciplined through the course of a season will earn some slack from the refs.  Conversely those team who are a train wreck discipline wise will have a larger target on their backs and less tolerance from the refs.  I think it is earned to a degree.

Just googled something for ****es and giggles.  Looking at average penalties per game in order for 2021 season, last 3 games of 2021, and 2020 season.  Four teams in the conference championship games and Dallas.

KC - 6.1/3/6.6 - fairly steady from year to year but a big drop over their last 3 games.

Cincy - 4.5/5.7/5.2 - bit of an increase over last 3 games, but a slight drop from 2020.

49ers - 6.1/6.7/5.3 - increase from last year but not huge.  Slight jump over last 3 games.

Rams - 4.5/4.3/4.2 - very consistent.

Cowboys - 7.8/9.7/6 - biggest jump vs year ago.  Big jump over last 3 games which I believe takes into account the debacle against the 49ers which will skew the numbers.  Off the top of my head there are a number of reasons why teams commit penalties: veteran vs. youthful roster; coaching; practice habits; injuries.  Regardless, penalties are penalties, and I think it is clear that Dallas has work to do in that department.

Edited by Northland

15 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

LMAO. There’s a football god and he hates Dallas with the fury of a 1000 suns. Has to be. Otherwise I can’t make the math work.

Any talk about this and all things go back to Dallas fans blame the ref's blaah blaah blaah...  but there is a legitimate complaint that Dak should have handed the ball to the ref...  what REF.. the ref that was there 4 seconds after the the lineman showed up and got set... NOT reason we lost, and no guarantee WE SCORE...  but it is just crazy how many times in play offs we get these type of plays that seem to show the REFS are for sure doing what they can to help us loose.

ON the OT thing....   why the 90&...    

IMO I think it is real simple, you need to have a talented offense of one kind or another to make the play offs.  Not saying top 10 but you have to do something well..   then by the end of the game teams know what works and what doesn't.  EDIT:  hmm this sounded better in my mind then on here...😒

My only issue is if you change the rules you need to change a lot. Not just give the other team a chance. Instead change it so the other team only has 3 downs to get a 1st. Unless the other team went for it on 4th then they get 1 4th down as well so on so forth.  

Edited by quiller