2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

Take this with a grain of salt as it's a "friend of someone who's in NFL circles" type of thing. Also not anything ground-breaking, but still interesting. What I was told is Flores was the guy until the lawsuit. The lawsuit also changed the option on McCown as the optics on hiring an inexperienced coach would be terrible. Lovie came into play in the 11th hour. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Take this with a grain of salt as it's a "friend of someone who's in NFL circles" type of thing. Also not anything ground-breaking, but still interesting. What I was told is Flores was the guy until the lawsuit. The lawsuit also changed the option on McCown as the optics on hiring an inexperienced coach would be terrible. Lovie came into play in the 11th hour. 

I definitely can see that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

I think this is pretty much the general understanding of the situation. Caserio went hard after Flores - remember, the thought of firing Culley wasn’t even in play until after Flores was fired, and Flores was the first guy interviewed.

Had the Texans stated that course and not even entertained Gannon or McCown, I think this would have been done by now… 

Now, year 2 of the Caserio era is pinning his hopes on a guy who hasn’t been a successful HC in over a decade. I’m sure that’s how Caserio envisioned his GM career.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

That seems odd / a convenient league narrative. Flores told the Texans about the lawsuit beforehand, so if he was going to be the guy then I feel like the Texans would have told him that then. Also, if Flores was indeed the guy he would have been hired before the lawsuit happened. There is no reason why the process would take so long if the Texans had their sights set on Flores from the get go.

To me it seems like the Texans were ready to hire McCown, the lawsuit comes out and the Texans realize it would look terrible and they pivot to Lovie.

2 hours ago, tab said:

Lmao

Good luck proving that. Flores should have held out on the lawsuit until he knew he was out of the running. His lawsuit that early gave the NFL a chance to cover its tracks and somewhat defend itself by hiring two minority candidates. Change needs to happen, but timing is everything. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Good luck proving that. Flores should have held out on the lawsuit until he knew he was out of the running. His lawsuit that early gave the NFL a chance to cover its tracks and somewhat defend itself by hiring two minority candidates. Change needs to happen, but timing is everything. 

Really hurts his case that Miami and Houston both hired black coaches 

Im surprised he said that because its like 1. a backhanded compliment to Lovie and 2. some kind of weird ... blackmail? Gotcha Moment? where like he's using this lawsuit as some kind of leverage against the Texans because we went with someone else

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tab said:

Im surprised he said that because its like 1. a backhanded compliment to Lovie and 2. some kind of weird ... blackmail? Gotcha Moment? where like he's using this lawsuit as some kind of leverage against the Texans because we went with someone else

It for sure changes my view on him…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marco79 said:

That seems odd / a convenient league narrative. Flores told the Texans about the lawsuit beforehand, so if he was going to be the guy then I feel like the Texans would have told him that then. Also, if Flores was indeed the guy he would have been hired before the lawsuit happened. There is no reason why the process would take so long if the Texans had their sights set on Flores from the get go.

To me it seems like the Texans were ready to hire McCown, the lawsuit comes out and the Texans realize it would look terrible and they pivot to Lovie.

It's interesting, my agent buddy said it was McCown until the 11th hour because they couldn't justify hiring him/dealing with the PR nightmare. He also said when Culley first was fired, Flores and Mayo were in play, but Mayo never materialized. Keep in mind, he doesn't have any players on the Texans. The friend of a friend who works for the Texans said Flores then McCown. The common thread here is the lawsuit definitely changed things; we ended up with Lovie because of it. Whether it was McCown or Flores before the lawsuit, we may never know. One other tidbit that was interesting is they said "McCown is someone you have to meet/talk to in person to fully understand why people want him to be a HC". A lot of people see him as the CEO type of HC. The only thing I disagree with is who does he know that he could've brought with him as OC or DC? He doesn't really have any connections.

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 6