2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

7 hours ago, tab said:

There’s more to coaching than being a leader of men and knowing Xs and Os. A big part of Head Coaching is People Management. All the really good HCs in the league have some kind of vision of how they want the team to function on both sides of the ball, and they have something about them that demands respect from the other coach’s and players. Getting the right players doing the right things in the right scheme, getting the other coaches to get the players to play better. Demanding respect without having to verbalize it, not because you have the swagger, but because people under you believe in your vision and trust in your management. Is that Josh McCown? I don’t know. I have a ton of respect for him as a player.

It’s like in movies, you have a Producer, a Director, and then you have Actors. Not every Actor is going to be a good Director, no matter how talented they are.

10000% agree with everything you said. Another analogy would be saying just because you're good at sales does not mean that you should go straight to CEO. On top of that, who would McCown bring in for coordinators? Are the Texans hoping they can keep the majority of the staff and plug McCown in as HC? I really hope it's Flores, although my gut is saying we're about to hire McCown. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I’ve had this thought in the back of my head. 

McCown would be OC/Ast HC/HC in waiting basically 

I wouldn't hate it. Won a Super Bowl with the Bears, pretty decent record overall with them, although stops in Tampa Bay and Illinois didn't go great. Hopefully he would keep Pep and make him OC. Still can't help but feel if we wanted him to be HC, we could've made this happen a lot sooner. Feels more like everyone else is backing out and we're running out of options. 

1 minute ago, LORK88 said:

I wouldn't hate it. Won a Super Bowl with the Bears, pretty decent record overall with them, although stops in Tampa Bay and Illinois didn't go great. Hopefully he would keep Pep and make him OC. Still can't help but feel if we wanted him to be HC, we could've made this happen a lot sooner. Feels more like everyone else is backing out and we're running out of options. 

The game has passed him by. If it's between him or Flores, the choice should easily be Flores. This organization is a damn joke.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

The game has passed him by. If it's between him or Flores, the choice should easily be Flores. This organization is a damn joke.

If it's between Flores and Lovie, I want Flores too. If it's between Lovie and McCown, Lovie all day. He had us top 10 in INTs and top 10 in sacks last season with a defense severely lacking talent. I still don't think he'd be the long term answer, but he'd have us more competitive and taking the right steps forward. Who would you rather have between Lovie and McCown? 

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 1

Given the fact that McCown was an optipn — I’m fine with Lovie. I wish they had just gave him the job last year instead. I don’t think this looks good for Caserio though. You have a HC search in back to back years and the best you can do is David Culley and Lovie Smith? Nothing against Lovie, he’s actually qualified for the job, but not the most inspiring candidates and it definitely seems to say something about how they are running things.

2 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Given the fact that McCown was an optipn — I’m fine with Lovie. I wish they had just gave him the job last year instead. I don’t think this looks good for Caserio though. You have a HC search in back to back years and the best you can do is David Culley and Lovie Smith? Nothing against Lovie, he’s actually qualified for the job, but not the most inspiring candidates and it definitely seems to say something about how they are running things.

I think this shows just the influence Jack might have on Cal/the team

What a joke.....Lovie is nothing more than Culley with a proven track record of failing....why????? Hes 63 years old, this is another move that says we want to tank and find a coach in a few years. I much rather would have preferred rolling the dice with something crazy like McCown. this is not going to end well. And hiring Pep doesn't do anything for the offense. If we are hiring Lovie, we really need a real OC

I like keeping Lovie on as HC. I had previously mentioned that at times this season when listening to Culley and then Smith press conferences, how I would've preferred Smith as the HC... Will get to keep some of the staff intact which I think was important regardless who was hired. Pep as OC I can be down with that. Look for them to add Marinelli as DC if Lovie is the HC. Keeping Ross on as special teams coach. I could get on board with that staff.

• Like 1