2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I agree, playing QB is relevant experience for coaching. 

Come on dude.. he played QB in the NFL. Those moments are a little bit more critical than a high school game.

Also, the way I look at it, the last several years of his career he was, essentially, a coach with pads on from what I understand. Teams would bring him in to be a part of the QB room, and the fact that he could play was essentially like an added bonus. So like, were he slightly less athletic, had he been wearing a shirt instead of a uniform, you're telling me that would be preferable? I just feel like he's getting knocked because he was good at football a lil bit.. 

Also! If we run him at QB coach or OC and he succeeds, in all likelihood he'd get poached. I see that as a more likely scenario than us promoting him to HC from an assistant coach position. 

Bottom line, if we like him for the job, we should hire him. Nothing would be more satisfying than to watch the Texans coached by McCown do damage next year. 

Maybe its just me, but I prefer it if the media thinks we're dumb. I don't want nobody thinking the Texans are gonna be good. Let Stephen A. scream about how laughable, incompetent, etc. so on and yada yada all he wants, I love it. 

I first got into football in 2006, and I picked the Texans bc Reggie Bush was the coolest thing ever. Then, Mario Williams happened and I was like waaat? Then I realized, everybody's dumb! Nobody in the media knows what the **** they're talking about! We do! We know what's best. 

Hiring McCown would be very drafting Mario Williams vibes to me. Middle fingers up gentlemen.

I’m really starting to talk myself into wanting Mccown 

• Like 1

There’s more to coaching than being a leader of men and knowing Xs and Os. A big part of Head Coaching is People Management. All the really good HCs in the league have some kind of vision of how they want the team to function on both sides of the ball, and they have something about them that demands respect from the other coach’s and players. Getting the right players doing the right things in the right scheme, getting the other coaches to get the players to play better. Demanding respect without having to verbalize it, not because you have the swagger, but because people under you believe in your vision and trust in your management. Is that Josh McCown? I don’t know. I have a ton of respect for him as a player.

It’s like in movies, you have a Producer, a Director, and then you have Actors. Not every Actor is going to be a good Director, no matter how talented they are.

Edited by tab
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tab said:

There’s more to coaching than being a leader of men and knowing Xs and Os. A big part of Head Coaching is People Management. All the really good HCs in the league have some kind of vision of how they want the team to function on both sides of the ball, and they have something about them that demands respect from the other coach’s and players. Getting the right players doing the right things in the right scheme, getting the other coaches to get the players to play better. Demanding respect without having to verbalize it, not because you have the swagger, but because people under you believe in your vision and trust in your management. Is that Josh McCown? I don’t know. I have a ton of respect for him as a player.

It’s like in movies, you have a Producer, a Director, and then you have Actors. Not every Actor is going to be a good Director, no matter how talented they are.

Thank you - I don’t think people understand how people management is about 70% of the actual job. Managing coordinators down to players is where Belicheck and Reid make their money.

Josh McCown has a resume as a backup QB, that doesn't tell me anything about what he's going to do when he's managing an entire franchise. Seriously - what does he tell a guy like Jon Greenard if Greenard misses an assignment? What does McCown have in terms of anything to navigate that situation?

Make the dude an OC, a QB coach - ANYTHING other than a HC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tab said:

i suppose if the rumor that Flores turned the Texans down were true, we'd have an announcement by now

I guess an announcement wouldn’t be over the weekend, right? There’s a Friday “media dump” where people put news out that they want to disappear over the weekend (which is we I thought was going to happen with McCown). That passed, so any announcement would be during radio row for the SB…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tab said:

I'm in school right now as a Secondary-Ed English major, and I'm learning a lil bit about teaching narrative right now. What's interesting is that students are better able to understand stories when they've written stories of their own. 

There is value in participation from a number of different angles/positions. I imagine McCown, having spent a couple decades or so in the NFL, probably has a pretty decent understanding of the way an organization should function. I don't think he shut off his brain for all that stuff. His experience is valuable, and it's reasonable to expect him to be able to be a head coach given his experience just from like a purely practical perspective in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Thank you - I don’t think people understand how people management is about 70% of the actual job. Managing coordinators down to players is where Belicheck and Reid make their money.

Josh McCown has a resume as a backup QB, that doesn't tell me anything about what he's going to do when he's managing an entire franchise. Seriously - what does he tell a guy like Jon Greenard if Greenard misses an assignment? What does McCown have in terms of anything to navigate that situation?

Make the dude an OC, a QB coach - ANYTHING other than a HC.

An NFL QB knows exactly what a DE is supposed to do in just about any defensive system. QBs have to know that stuff. There’s a reason defensive guys a lot of times become good OCs. 

as a QB you learn your offensive system and that’s it but you learn everyone’s defensive system. 

42 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

An NFL QB knows exactly what a DE is supposed to do in just about any defensive system. QBs have to know that stuff.

Assignment, possibly - he understands the scheme at a high level, but I highly doubt he understands at an individual positional level. 

42 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There’s a reason defensive guys a lot of times become good OCs. 

Name me one defensive guy who became a good OC. 

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Assignment, possibly - he understands the scheme at a high level, but I highly doubt he understands at an individual positional level. 

Name me one defensive guy who became a good OC. 

Greg Roman play DT in college 

Todd Downing played CB semi pro

Joe Lombardi started out as a defensive coach 

Shane Steichen started out as a defensive coach 

It’s more common on college level and definitely the high school level 

one thing I did learn on looking that up is that a ton of OCs and Head Coaches played QB

and to the Greenard point, the head coach probably isn’t gonna be the one dealing with a missed assignment from the DE. 

Caserio has to be sure McCown won’t fail. I don’t see how Caserio stays around to hire a 3rd coach if McCown flames out, so is he really going to put all his eggs in his basket? No matter how much you like the guy’s potential and think he’s going to be a great coach one day, you have to be act somewhat reasonably in this situation and be a little cautious, right? That’s also not even taking into account the media storm that will take place if they hire him.

At the end of the day, if they pick McCown I won’t be shocked (because this is the Cal McNair Texans after all), but I would be a little surprised Caserio went along with it.