2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

57 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

20 years in the league, he's probably got some quality contacts in his phone.

There's a difference between "hey I was a player when you were a coach" and "we coached together for years". It's a leap of faith, don't know if too many guys would be willing to do that on someone who's never been a coach before. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

20 years in the league, he's probably got some quality contacts in his phone.

Having contacts and getting contacts to commit to a multi year rebuilding situation with management that is less than stellar in terms of decision making are two different things.

Much like the roster last season, a Josh McCown would be depending on "last chance" coordinators, people who lost jobs frequently and are one more bad coaching performance away from being out of football for good. They're coaching for their next job, not because they were qualified.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s not like OC and DC positions grow on trees. Guy will work for a young head coach to get a good job for themselves. 

Just because they're willing, doesn't mean they're qualified or good. There's a difference between making some random WRs coach the OC and getting someone you know will deliver. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s not like OC and DC positions grow on trees. Guy will work for a young head coach to get a good job for themselves. 

You’re conflating “young” and “inexperienced”.

Nobody cares that Josh McCown is young. (Hell, he’s actually a few years older than both HCs in the Super Bowl). His age is what it is, but literally nobody cares that he’s in his 40s. You’re right in saying people will work for him, Sean McVay is an example.

His inexperience is where the issue is - he’s been in position as a player, but that’s a microscopic understanding of what a HC is asked to do on a daily basis. Nobody wants to work for somebody they’re more qualified than.

Just to be clear - two years from now, Josh McCown might be the guy. As long as he gets some tangible experience, I’m good with him. Throwing him into the deep end with minimal exposure at ANY level is the issues. His age has nothing to do with it (my main guys - O’Connell, Flores, Gannon - are all actually YOUNGER than him).

So, it has nothing to do with his age.

Hi guys, as a Bears fan who felt like Lovie got shafted when he was fired (both times) I just wanted to pop in and tell you what you are getting.  You are getting a good football coach who treats players like men, earns respect, holds players accountable, and every player will love him for it.  Your team will take the ball away all the time.  People think its unsustainable, and maybe it is for most coaches, but not Lovie.  It's in his DNA.  His philosophy is 11 guys to the football and it comes out.  As a fan it can feel boring at times bc it feels like you are dying a death of a thousand cuts, then next thing you know you look up at the end of the game and you won 20-17 and got two takeaways.  

Sidenote: I think Josh McCown will someday be a really good HC, but it would take some serious balls to hire him directly into that role.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Blaze said:

1. He can't prove that. 2. He couldn't have possibly expected anyone to hire him after that lawsuit. You're essentially suing 32 teams. He will be lucky to get interviews. 

I’ll say this - if this gets to discovery and both Caserio and Easterby have to turn over their emails related to the HC search - it’s going to get interesting.

It’s notsomuch about proving it, moreso about creating reasonable doubt in this amendment - and I’d be remiss to say there isn’t doubt surrounding the decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I’ll say this - if this gets to discovery and both Caserio and Easterby have to turn over their emails related to the HC search - it’s going to get interesting.

It’s notsomuch about proving it, moreso about creating reasonable doubt in this amendment - and I’d be remiss to say there isn’t doubt surrounding the decision.

It's not even reasonable doubt in a civil case... you just have to be more right than the other party

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

After what happened to Gruden, I'd like to think these teams would stop putting incriminating things in email.