2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

58 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

I would love O'Connell or Flores, but I I'd be content with Gannon. He still fits the mold of young, up and coming coordinator. I think he'll be a better HC than he would be DC which is rare. I would be really curious who he'd bring in as his offensive coordinator, that will be what really determines how I ultimately feel if this is the decision. Sure beats the hell out of McCown. 

Unless McCown becomes the OC.

Kevin Patullo is the passing game coordinator for Philly, but he has been around Gannon for the past 4 or so years (both came from Indy). Might be someone to watch as getting promoted to OC here. not advocating for him, as I have no idea if he is good, just trying to connect dots. 

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

I would love O'Connell or Flores, but I I'd be content with Gannon. He still fits the mold of young, up and coming coordinator. I think he'll be a better HC than he would be DC which is rare. I would be really curious who he'd bring in as his offensive coordinator, that will be what really determines how I ultimately feel if this is the decision. Sure beats the hell out of McCown. 

O’Connell is the Vikings new HC

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

Unless McCown becomes the OC.

Kevin Patullo is the passing game coordinator for Philly, but he has been around Gannon for the past 4 or so years (both came from Indy). Might be someone to watch as getting promoted to OC here. not advocating for him, as I have no idea if he is good, just trying to connect dots. 

I would hate Mccown becoming the OC.  QB coach I can get behind.  You dont be an assistant at some HS and jump to the NFL as an OC.

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

My guy who somehow knows some people that seem to be plugged in have been telling him all day Gannon is the guy and they’ll announce before weeks end.

I could get behind Gannon, with McCown as a assistant HC/QB coach. It's not Flores, but it's not McCown in a "trial by fire" attempt to run a billion dollar organization with HS experience...

I mean, I still think it'll be a mess with Easterby and Cal, but they could have lucked into a good HC with Gannon.

Who knows at this point.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I could get behind Gannon, with McCown as a assistant HC/QB coach. It's not Flores, but it's not McCown in a "trial by fire" attempt to run a billion dollar organization with HS experience...

I mean, I still think it'll be a mess with Easterby and Cal, but they could have lucked into a good HC with Gannon.

Who knows at this point.

I'd be ok with it as a fan as this would be a logical step for McCown. If I was Gannon, I'd be skeptical knowing Houston's interviewed him twice for the HC position. It's the whole "you vs. the guy your girlfriend says don't worry about" type of situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

I'd be ok with it as a fan as this would be a logical step for McCown. If I was Gannon, I'd be skeptical knowing Houston's interviewed him twice for the HC position. It's the whole "you vs. the guy your girlfriend says don't worry about" type of situation. 

Yup, makes no sense for Gannon to have McCown on the roster knowing they are grooming him to replace you. 

11 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

If I were to translate the 2nd tweet:

"Texans trying to figure out if Gannon or Flores would hire McCown as assistant HC. Whoever does is the choice".

I think it's Gannon. I think that we'll have an answer by tomorrow (weather permitting).

• Like 1

A lot to unpack here. First, I love the fact that Flores is considered a finalist, even with the lawsuit. That obviously complicates things, but I like the fact that he's standing up for what is right and also let teams know before it came out publicly. I firmly believe in over-communication and he went about that in the right way. Not only would this be a great hire on the field as he's easily one of the most qualified coaches available, it would be tremendous PR for the Texans who could use it. Not only that, but you have to believe Flores would be extra motivated to prove everyone wrong. Second, I like the reviewing of the staff plans. My only hope is that McCown doesn't have any connections so Flores and Gannon's staffs will look much more appealing. Last, glad to see we at least wanted O'Connell and are trying to do what we can. I don't blame him for going with the Vikings, but I think it validates Caserio a bit that he's on the right track. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Not only would this be a great hire on the field as he's easily one of the most qualified coaches available, it would be tremendous PR for the Texans who could use it.

I think it's the one hire that could nearly 180 the entire narrative behind the Texans since last off-season. From tone deaf and incompetent to forward thinking and prepared, all in one hire.

They could undo so much ill will, and it literally fell in their laps. It hits every check mark from an alignment perspective (friends with both Caserio and Easterby, New England ties) and it's a guy who has proven he could win with a really bad roster (and an ownership team that allegedly was willing to pay him to lose).

It's a sad state of affairs that I'm bracing for Josh McCown, even with this obvious choice waiting for a call and waiting to help with the rebuild.

• Like 3

There would be no quicker way to turn around the perception of this team around the league than hiring Flores. That alone isn’t reason enough to pull the trigger, but it’s just the cherry on top of the fact that he is the best, most qualified finalist they have. He is good friends with Easterby, has worked with Caserio, and he consistently had his team over perform expectations in Miami. I just hope Cal can make the right decision for once.

Gannon is a fine candidate and maybe he makes a great HC one day, but it would be an uninspiring hire. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So hiring Flores and Easterbys relationship with him is a good thing and hiring Mccown and his relationship with Easterby is a bad thing?

Yes, because one of them is extremely qualified for the job while other one isn’t qualified at all.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Yes, because one of them is extremely qualified for the job while other one isn’t qualified at all.

It's really that simple. If Josh McCown spent a few years in coaching at a level beyond HS, it might make more sense... but that's not the case here.

• Like 2