Marvel/Netflix: Officially Cancelled...Moving to Hulu?

Acgott

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If you want advice on how to know Frank's whole story before you watch Punisher, watch only Daredevil season two before you watch The Punisher. 

If you want advice on how to treat the Marvel on Netflix, watch only Daredevil, Daredevil Season Two and The Punisher.

Jessica Jones was horrible with HORRIBLE supporting characters, had a great villain.
Iron Fist was awful.  Not the season, the character.  He was awful.  Strongest supporting characters outside of Daredevil.  Bad season overall.
Luke Cage I had to force myself to watch.  It was really, really, really, really, really bad. 
The Defenders was the worst of them all.  Nothing made sense, the characters sucked, the series sucked. 

Terrific breakdown @HorizontoZenith!  Thanks.

I'll get through Punisher over the next couple weeks, and then back to Midsomer Murders.  

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

28 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If you want advice on how to know Frank's whole story before you watch Punisher, watch only Daredevil season two before you watch The Punisher. 

If you want advice on how to treat the Marvel on Netflix, watch only Daredevil, Daredevil Season Two and The Punisher.

Jessica Jones was horrible with HORRIBLE supporting characters, had a great villain.
Iron Fist was awful.  Not the season, the character.  He was awful.  Strongest supporting characters outside of Daredevil.  Bad season overall.
Luke Cage I had to force myself to watch.  It was really, really, really, really, really bad. 
The Defenders was the worst of them all.  Nothing made sense, the characters sucked, the series sucked. 

Basically agree with all of this.  The villain in Jessica Jones was amazing.  Iron Fist was horrifyingly awful...I mean, worst casting job in the entire universe by far.  I really liked the first half of Luke Cage where Cottonmouth was prominent, but the 2nd half blew.  Defenders was terrible.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd agree with a lot of this except maybe I'm not so hard on them. I never understood the love and adoration of the Jessica Jones series. I had no interest in the supporting characters, as Horizon suggests. The acting from the two leads is strong, and it is a great villain, but I was fairly disinterested in the series. I couldn't make it through a binge of the show. Had to go back months later and try it again. I mean, it was fine I suppose, I just never really could get into it. 

Iron Fist really is a bad character. The villains aren't bad - I love madame Gao, so whenever she's there, I'm a fan, and I thought Bakuto was alright. But yeah, it's hard to get past Iron Fist, and to a lesser extent, Finn Jones. I actually liked the direction that Ward's character took throughout the show, but became increasingly annoyed with Joy. The story, overall, I think is subpar. The supporting characters I think could have carried the bad story, but the main character completely sinks that show. 

Luke Cage I was fine with when Cottonmouth was around, and to be honest, I was pretty into it at the start. I thought he was a great character. Luke is another hard to enjoy character, and that sucks out some of the fun, and the supporting characters (outside of Cottonmouth), are pretty bad. I was intrigued by Shades for a while, but then by the end, he was just a massive disappointment. The story really falls apart at the back end. The story through the first half was actually promising - more localized, similar to the way Daredevil was originally, so I could get into it. I liked this fight on more of a local level - more about Harlem than some major over arching potential catastrophe. 

You can enjoy the Defenders if you are in to fan service and are able to throw everything else out of the way. The story is a mess that is never clear and full of holes. Sigorney Weaver is completely wasted. Daredevil comes off pretty solid, but the other heroes are rather meh. If you can sit there and just enjoy the concept of, "okay, we are putting all of these people together! it's going to be awesome!" then maybe you'll get something out of it. If not, the defenders had very few bright moments. 

The Daredevil series is by far the cream of the crop thus far in my opinion. 

It feels like Frank Castle doesn't have the most screentime in the show.  They're devoting way too much time to other characters, some of which we have no reason whatsoever to care about. 

The investigator... Dinah.  Why are we spending so much time on her?  And if we have to spend a lot of time on her, why, for the love of God, do we have to suffer through her mom speaking?  That is the most annoying intolerable voice ever. 

Why do we have to see so many of the same dream sequence?  We get it, Frank has a dream that he shoots his wife in the head.  How many times do we have to watch that same effing dream sequence?

Why do we have to sit through a stereotypical NRA advocate?  So Netflix can provide a social commentary on guns in a show about a man who brutally and ruthlessly murders criminals with guns? 

Why are we watching some kid from Vet meetings go through PTSD and almost shoot his dad?  So Netflix can continue to try to provide a social commentary on guns when the reason people are watching the show is for the brutal violence including... Guns? 

I will say that the guy leading the vet meetings is a good side character, and so is Frank's friend.  I just really don't understand the emphasis on all these meaningless characters.  I especially don't understand the time spent on Dinah's character.  Why?  If we wanted somebody investigating what happened with Frank, why not have Karen do it?  She's a reporter after all, and more importantly, she's a character that could use the screen time since she's actually a part of this Marvel on Netflix.

I really didn't want to nitpick, but I think these are valid complaints.  I wanted a rebound for Netflix because other than Daredevil one/two, they've been crap.  It's just not very good at all.  How do you mess up The Punisher?  One of two ways.  Make it light on violence, or don't focus on The Punisher. 

I'd like a little bit of The Punisher in my The Punisher TV series, Netflix.  Think that would be alright maybe? 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

See, it's not that hard.  The end of season three, hell, the last 15 minutes of episode three were what this series needs to be.  The last two minutes of episode three was amazing and got my hyped up for this season, but Netflix seriously has to quit the crap already with this series.  The side characters have got to go.  Nobody cares about two siblings with a weirdly sexual suggestions in Jessica Jones.  Nobody cares about a detective investigating the people Frank Castle is going to kill anyway.  You don't do law and order in The Punisher, you do punishing.  At worst, you do Karen investigating and getting the evidence to the people so that the people are on Frank's side at the end.  You don't do an investigation into people that are going to get killed in a show about The Punisher killing people who deserve to be killed.

It's just absolutely asinine some of the stupid crap Netflix is doing with their Marvel material, and it really makes me hope Disney takes that ability away from them. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's just absolutely asinine some of the stupid crap Netflix is doing with their Marvel material, and it really makes me hope Disney takes that ability away from the

What would you like Disney to do with the defender characters?

27 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What would you like Disney to do with the defender characters?

Show them.  >:(

I just get ticked off when they spend so much time on side characters that literally nobody cares about.  I feel like The Punisher has had 25% of the screen time in his own series so far. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd agree with a lot of this except maybe I'm not so hard on them. I never understood the love and adoration of the Jessica Jones series. I had no interest in the supporting characters, as Horizon suggests. The acting from the two leads is strong, and it is a great villain, but I was fairly disinterested in the series. I couldn't make it through a binge of the show. Had to go back months later and try it again. I mean, it was fine I suppose, I just never really could get into it. 

Iron Fist really is a bad character. The villains aren't bad - I love madame Gao, so whenever she's there, I'm a fan, and I thought Bakuto was alright. But yeah, it's hard to get past Iron Fist, and to a lesser extent, Finn Jones. I actually liked the direction that Ward's character took throughout the show, but became increasingly annoyed with Joy. The story, overall, I think is subpar. The supporting characters I think could have carried the bad story, but the main character completely sinks that show. 

Luke Cage I was fine with when Cottonmouth was around, and to be honest, I was pretty into it at the start. I thought he was a great character. Luke is another hard to enjoy character, and that sucks out some of the fun, and the supporting characters (outside of Cottonmouth), are pretty bad. I was intrigued by Shades for a while, but then by the end, he was just a massive disappointment. The story really falls apart at the back end. The story through the first half was actually promising - more localized, similar to the way Daredevil was originally, so I could get into it. I liked this fight on more of a local level - more about Harlem than some major over arching potential catastrophe. 

You can enjoy the Defenders if you are in to fan service and are able to throw everything else out of the way. The story is a mess that is never clear and full of holes. Sigorney Weaver is completely wasted. Daredevil comes off pretty solid, but the other heroes are rather meh. If you can sit there and just enjoy the concept of, "okay, we are putting all of these people together! it's going to be awesome!" then maybe you'll get something out of it. If not, the defenders had very few bright moments. 

The Daredevil series is by far the cream of the crop thus far in my opinion. 

I feel like Jessica Jones could have been resolved in half the number of episodes.  It would have tightened everything up a lot.

Iron Fist did have some great supporting characters, my favorite was probably the drinking martial artist.  Dude was awesome.

Fully agree on Luke Cage.  Cottonmouth was awesome.  

Defenders was poopy.

I think my biggest issue with most of these series if that they get stretched out to fill out a set number of episodes when they just don't have the material to fit the episodes.  I think JJ and LC would have been much better with maybe 2/3rds the number of episodes.  Tighten up the stories.  

I'm loving Punisher so far.  Yes, he punishes people, but he is also really smart and does a good bit of detective work.  So I like the fact that it's not just a blood bath all the time.   

• Like 2

Jessica Jones was good, but almost entirely for the villain. Like next season might suck because the only reason you would get drawn into that show was for the villain. Without him it's just a massive questionmark. 

Daredevil season 1 was great. Season 2 was decent but it kind of fell off the rails with me after awhile. Everything else has been varying degrees of mediocre.

Hope Punisher is good, but I doubt they have the balls to go full Punisher War Zone

Edited by lancerman

It feels weird that the punisher has gotten more modern adaptations than most superheros this century. (2 moves, 1 and a half TV series) 

Daredevil season 1 is tops, Daredevil season 2 was still pretty damn good though. 

I enjoyed Jessica Jones quite a bit and I'd say it was the second best series after Daredevil. 

The Defenders has a lot of issues but still seeing the defenders come together and "save" the city was still pretty good even if I was incredibly confused throughout most of it and half the logic was missing some of the time. 

Luke Cage was fun for the first half and I'd say it's pretty decent for what it is. 

Iron Fist.....I did not like this series at all and it felt like the grindiest to watch out of all of them. I actually like Finn Jones as an actor but this production was rushed so they could finish it before defenders and it showed a lot. Plus Scott Buck didn't help.

Marvel has a ridiculous amount of marvel TV shows in the pipeline when they shove them all onto their streaming service in 2 years. 

On 11/17/2017 at 9:41 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Terrific breakdown @HorizontoZenith!  Thanks.

I'll get through Punisher over the next couple weeks, and then back to Midsomer Murders.  

Dude just do you. I liked all the series so far. But take it for what it’s worth as I’m not a movie/tv show snob. I’ll get grief but I really liked the Iron Fist. Not the best actor but it was just intriguing to me. Daredevil is the best but they are all worth some time. If you dislike a particular show than cut it off and go do some outdoor activities. Really simple. 

Just now, Bonanza23 said:

Dude just do you. I liked all the series so far. But take it for what it’s worth as I’m not a movie/tv show snob. I’ll get grief but I really liked the Iron Fist. Not the best actor but it was just intriguing to me. Daredevil is the best but they are all worth some time. If you dislike a particular show than cut it off and go do some outdoor activities. Really simple. 

Blew through two seasons of Daredevil in about 10 days.  Not good.  Not good.  (The show was great, but man do I have some things to get done around the house.)

• Like 2