2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

29 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

eh I get if people have an association but it's many rungs down the line to hate say James Franklin's 2021 PSU team compared to Watson, who you know actually did the messed up things. I think the Penn State route to go is to dig on the people who still revere JoePa as a god. Still not 1to1, but closer.

You don’t get to pick and choose based on your fandom. You’re either against it or you’re not - if you continue to support Penn State football, who covered up allegations, but can’t fathom Waton on the team you’re letting fandom determine your morale compass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

You don’t get to pick and choose based on your fandom. You’re either against it or you’re not - if you continue to support Penn State football, who covered up allegations, but can’t fathom Waton on the team you’re letting fandom determine your morale compass. 

Didn't people do that though and not an entity? thats my question.

It's fine if you say yes, it's just a degrees of separation question I'm wondering.
Watson was the perpetrator, he did that stuff.... Penn State Football was not, especially as I said the decade+ team from when news broke of that and the 15-20+ year team from when that supposedly happened.

Like I said I totally get the b/w logic, but it seems more appropriately targeted at JoePa and his legacy. There is no threshold of knowing a guy might be doing something to a kid that is ok. It doesn't matter if he was not employed by you at the time or away from your facilities, you have to act on that...if you don't to the fullest you are culpable. 

I think the cult of happy valley is weird, like with every college town, have long before that stuff broke. 
Some of the reactions from that were so gross. I think after Sandusky and the handful of people who enabled him, I ended up hating the fanbase the most. Had to spend a couple of years deprogramming both sides of my family who are all Penn Staters. My biggest gripe was the JoePa thing then too. 

I guess I just don't quite see the if this / then that logic being even....that's all.

• Like 2

Dallas really can’t utilize free agency or trades to their advantage yet as a franchise. It’s pathetic. Their saving grace has been drafting usually in the first round and lucking into Romo as a UDFA and Prescott in the 4th. Even with some of his early draft warts I’ll take Howie as a whole as a GM over having to deal with how the Cowboys front office operate.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Dallas really can’t utilize free agency or trades to their advantage yet as a franchise. It’s pathetic. Their saving grace has been drafting usually in the first round and lucking into Romo as a UDFA and Prescott in the 4th. Even with some of his early draft warts I’ll take Howie as a whole as a GM over having to deal with how the Cowboys front office operate.

Gotta sign those role players for their whole careers.

I read someone talk about the Ravens strategy. They like 1 and 3 contracts but don't dole out a ton of big 2nd contracts.
Dallas deals in 2nd contracts. Which it's great that you aren't drafting absolute duds, but they fall in love with bit players so damn hard.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiltman said:

Gotta sign those role players for their whole careers.

I read someone talk about the Ravens strategy. They like 1 and 3 contracts but don't dole out a ton of big 2nd contracts.
Dallas deals in 2nd contracts. Which it's great that you aren't drafting absolute duds, but they fall in love with bit players so damn hard.

Agreed with that last part about overvaluing their own. They show it time and time again too.

I never thought about teams dealing in 2nd and 3rd contracts and the size though. That’s an interesting point.

A team on the exact opposite spectrum of Dallas in terms of all this is New England who is more likely than not gonna ship off a player when it’s time to be paid big money even if they are their own and sometimes deserve it. Like they probably should’ve just paid Chandler Jones and I think they should’ve paid JC Jackson for what he ended up going for. I thought it was a mistake NE just let a stud corner in his mid 20s that fits your scheme and knows it well and  is a ball hawk. So that way can backfire on you too. I think you want to find a happy medium between the two in that regard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I just think it is too expensive. With draft capital and his price tag I don't think we are in a place to make a deal like that yet. Would be a fantastic get though. Reddick, Hunter, Sweat would be a great trio for the next three years.

There’s always ways around the money. He is due some big bonus soon. Thus, his availability. Which might make him less expensive, compensation wise, to be acquired. Once he’s here we can tear up that contract. Give him that bonus, plus some, in his signing bonus and make his yearly salary minuscule. He’d be a perfect fit though and solve the pass rush problem for years. We replace Cox in the draft, maybe the kid from Georgia, and poof, DL for 3-5 years is straight. 

7 hours ago, Scalamania said:

All of the individuals who were involved were  fired promptly upon it going public. The coverup was horrific yes. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

I find it odd that we are never mentioned as a matt ryan landing spot even thought matt ryan is from philadelphia and a fan of the eagles.

If they get Watson maybe the news will heat up. Not sure how I'd personally feel about that since I've never been a fan of his but can't be any worse then what we have now. Love hurts but I don't see much more growth besides maybe reading a Def