Lamar Jackson [QB, Louisville]

K-Ro 25

3 hours ago, alfalcone said:

Listened to the First Draft Podcast today, and Mel and Todd seem to think he's not an NFL QB.  Personally I think we've found the low hanging fruit for ESPN's next round of layoffs.

Scouting is a weird hobby, over the years you acquire tastes for each position and shy away from prospects who do not fit your mold. Mayock does it foe DB's and TE's, so I am not surprised to see others have their own biases. Some GM's will love Jackson and some wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. That's life!!!

11 hours ago, alfalcone said:

Listened to the First Draft Podcast today, and Mel and Todd seem to think he's not an NFL QB.  Personally I think we've found the low hanging fruit for ESPN's next round of layoffs.

Yeah no kidding. How dare these guys have an opinion! I'd fire them in an instant.

I like Lamar Jackson. I'm not projecting him to be injury prone like some seemingly want to do because of his frame. Would I love it if he were 230? Yes, but he isn't and that's not in the stars for that young man. He's going to be built like a taller RGIII. I won't slam him for that...RGIII's frame was not the reason he was a terrible NFL QB. Jackson has a ton of tools that continue to develop. Despite Louisville's struggles this season, he has been much improved, especially when talking about what NFL teams want to see. His accuracy is improved. His pocket awareness is improved. He is reading defenses and scanning the field. He gets the ball out quicker. He is protecting himself when he's called upon to run the ball.

My only gripe is the system he plays in. It lacks NFL concepts and has a lot of built in yardage via the spread system. He won't get these easy throws in the NFL. This doesn't disqualify him from being a good NFL player, but he's essentially applying for a different job once he gets to the NFL.

Marcus Mariota was in the same boat as a prospect. He did great things at Oregon, but you just weren't sure if he could adjust to the complexities of the NFL due to his collegiate offensive scheme. I don't think they are dissimilar as prospects, although Mariota seems to have a more NFL-friendly frame and was more consistently accurate and decisive throughout his career at Oregon. And Lamar Jackson is a better athlete, but both are excellent in that area.

It's one thing to have an opinion on Jackson. It's another to still be having the "is he a QB" discussion at this point. While he has his flaws, his progression year to year (especially for such a young player)makes him a legit QB prospect. 

I already know how annoyed I'm going to get when I hear certain "draft experts" and "anonymous scouts" say he'll need to change positions, during this draft season.

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

It's one thing to have an opinion on Jackson. It's another to still be having the "is he a QB" discussion at this point. While he has his flaws, his progression year to year (especially for such a young player)makes him a legit QB prospect. 

I already know how annoyed I'm going to get when I hear certain "draft experts" and "anonymous scouts" say he'll need to change positions, during this draft season.

I have Lamar Jackson as my QB1, and I'm almost certain he's going to be drafted as a QB. I also think if he were to have a rotator cuff injury or something that forced him to change positions he'd be a baller at receiver too. He's that good of an athlete compared to other athletic QBs. Similar to how people though/think Cam Newton would probably be a good TE/H.

1 hour ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Would he be more viewed more favorably if he got up to 220-225? He's my QB2 tied with Darnold.

With his body of work, absolutely. 

Mariota was on the smallish side, frame wise, and bulked up. He needed to.

If Jackson could get up to about 225, provided the added weight didn't have any adverse effects on his athletic ability (I'd bet it wouldn't), he would be up there around Darnold for sure. 

His accuracy can be worked on, but that's one of those minor things that good NFL coaches work on (or they wouldn't hire QB coaches). I really think the only negative is his frame. 

Unfortunately, frames are weird. If he bulked up to 225, would it spread from head to toe or be centralized to his core? If so, it would be better not to add the weight. We've seen in the past guys add/drop weight and it isn't always a positive net outcome. Some guys can carry more weight than others. It all depends on the style of play. 

A good example on both ends would be Eddie Lacey shedding weight/David Ausberry gaining weight (not to compare overall careers).

Eddie Lacey lost weight but also lost some of his effectiveness. His body had long been conditioned to carry the extra bulk around, so when he started losing it, it wasn't necessarily positive weight loss. And with the NFL being so quick in demanding things, the speed at which guys cut/add weight can have a negative effect if not done correctly.

David Ausberry, on the other hand, bulked up to move from WR to TE. Now, in my opinion, he was never going to be a long term NFL player. But I thought he looked better as a TE than WR. 

Sometimes you add weight and look bigger and stronger. Sometimes you add weight and get fat. Sometimes you lean up and gain speed and flexibility. Sometimes you lean up and your body doesn't function at 100%. 

47 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

With his body of work, absolutely. 

Mariota was on the smallish side, frame wise, and bulked up. He needed to.

If Jackson could get up to about 225, provided the added weight didn't have any adverse effects on his athletic ability (I'd bet it wouldn't), he would be up there around Darnold for sure. 

His accuracy can be worked on, but that's one of those minor things that good NFL coaches work on (or they wouldn't hire QB coaches). I really think the only negative is his frame. 

Unfortunately, frames are weird. If he bulked up to 225, would it spread from head to toe or be centralized to his core? If so, it would be better not to add the weight. We've seen in the past guys add/drop weight and it isn't always a positive net outcome. Some guys can carry more weight than others. It all depends on the style of play. 

A good example on both ends would be Eddie Lacey shedding weight/David Ausberry gaining weight (not to compare overall careers).

Eddie Lacey lost weight but also lost some of his effectiveness. His body had long been conditioned to carry the extra bulk around, so when he started losing it, it wasn't necessarily positive weight loss. And with the NFL being so quick in demanding things, the speed at which guys cut/add weight can have a negative effect if not done correctly.

David Ausberry, on the other hand, bulked up to move from WR to TE. Now, in my opinion, he was never going to be a long term NFL player. But I thought he looked better as a TE than WR. 

Sometimes you add weight and look bigger and stronger. Sometimes you add weight and get fat. Sometimes you lean up and gain speed and flexibility. Sometimes you lean up and your body doesn't function at 100%. 

Ya both Jackson and Watson are 6'2/6'3 and 210-215 but Watson looks considerably bigger. Or maybe it's just my eyes playing games on me.

2 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Would he be more viewed more favorably if he got up to 220-225? He's my QB2 tied with Darnold.

Nah I don't think it changes much. Either way he is a rare talent and we've seen several QB's with similar frames succeed at the next level. I do think there is a good chance he does end up around 215lbs to 220lbs though given the fact that he's still young and naturally growing

10 minutes ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Ya both Jackson and Watson are 6'2/6'3 and 210-215 but Watson looks considerably bigger. Or maybe it's just my eyes playing games on me.

My guess is Watson's probably a shade under a true 6'3 and likely playing at around 220. His frame is a bit stockier than Jackson's overall and he carries his weight more proportionately. 

I'd wager that Jackson measures in closer to the 6'4 range. He may be a true 215 (muscle weight more and all), but he looks more like 205. But his weight seems to be centrally focused. Hence me saying it may be risky to ask him to bulk up. He's just CB thin. And with guys of his frame (Teddy B, RG3, and others in recent memory) having injury issues over the past few seasons I expect he'll get somewhat stigmatized. Not that I think it makes his draft position drop (aforementioned guys were high picks as well) but I think some teams, depending on the type of offense they want to run, would write him off in favor of a Darnold, Allen, Thorson type guy.

Not to compare their talent right now, but I put Riley Ferguson in the same boat, and he's my late round sleeper this year. 

20 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I hope the Jags do everything in their power to get him. Trade up if you have to, idc.

Lamar Jacksonville baby

Jacksonville loves their running QBs, and Jackson-ville craze would be nuts with him. Not to mention just the mere presence of his running ability instantly makes Fournette better. If there's a QB in next year's draft I want for the Jaguars, its Jackson.

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

Jacksonville loves their running QBs, and Jackson-ville craze would be nuts with him. Not to mention just the mere presence of his running ability instantly makes Fournette better. If there's a QB in next year's draft I want for the Jaguars, its Jackson.

I'm a raider fan and that scares me... but would be entertaining too watch

Archived